Author Topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)  (Read 163907 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)
« Reply #330 on: January 7, 2018, 04:50 PM »
I recognized the actor who played Canady but cannot place his face from GoT. Did not catch the second guy...cool!

Yeah.  In GoT, the actor who played Canady had both facial hair and this viking style helmet on.  And his scenes date back to season 1 and 2, IIRC.

The other actor who played the First Order Security Bureau officer was in that VERY brief scene on the Supremacy where Phasma captures Finn, Rose and DJ.  He's the one in the white tunic.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #331 on: January 19, 2018, 12:33 PM »
One scene that has bugged me....

Leia is watching over the shield door...the Resitance crew is behind her and she says "Here they come"

The shuttle crashes and they all start firing at the wreck and out pops Finn and Rose

Why was she waiting?
Why was the door open?
Why did she say "here they come"?

The last one could be seen as Here comes the First Order...shut the door

And obviously Johnson wanted to echo the archive base door closure scene...it just didn't make much logical sense

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 19, 2018, 12:41 PM »
One scene that has bugged me....

Leia is watching over the shield door...the Resitance crew is behind her and she says "Here they come"

The shuttle crashes and they all start firing at the wreck and out pops Finn and Rose

Why was she waiting?
Why was the door open?
Why did she say "here they come"?

The last one could be seen as Here comes the First Order...shut the door

And obviously Johnson wanted to echo the archive base door closure scene...it just didn't make much logical sense

I'd actually like to see that part again.  I got the echoing back to the TESB scene on Hoth.  But I missed the "Here they come" bit.

I've only been able to see the movie once so far.  Part of what's been deterring me has been all of the people hating on the movie has gotten me so aggravated that it's making the prospect of seeing the movie again less enjoyable.  But I do recall that just as the surviving Resistance transports were approaching Crait I started looking at my watch.  To me that was a clear indication that the movie ran a little too long.

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #333 on: January 19, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Yeah, story wise the doors were open so Finn, Rose, and BB-8 can get back to the rest of the rebels.  Plot wise, it didn't make a lot of sense to be standing watching unless maybe they were watching to see if any other little transports made it to the surface?

Also "here they come" line is a call-back to Leia saying it in ANH (while they are on Falcon escaping the Death Star), right?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 19, 2018, 01:09 PM »
On my first viewing, I thought Leia was waiting for Finn and Rose and was trying to time it just right so they could get in while keeping the First Order out...

...and then I was completely confused when the Resistance started firing on the crashed shuttle. So yeah, it didn't add up for me either.

I guess I could argue for the Resistance trying to conserve resources, including however much power it takes to close the giant doors. They were only going to close it if and when they absolutely needed to.

(In truth I think the movie was rushed through production and could have used another couple of script drafts to work all this stuff out.)

I totally missed the "here they come" callback. Maybe the line reading needed to be "faster and more intense" for me to get it.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #335 on: January 19, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Agreed on editing etc...they really could have cut it down to a 2 hour movie pretty easily...by shortening Canto Bight and cleaning up the end (did they really need a Falcon chase?)

All in all I still really enjoy it and think the naysayers are full of **** but to each their own

In General, I really think we've hit a tipping point on Star Wars/Marvel overload so it will be really interesting to see how Solo turns out, especially with all of the production issues

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #336 on: January 19, 2018, 02:46 PM »
I figure they're waiting for stragglers. The FO shows up and they know there won't be anymore. But yeah. It's a little bit of here's a great image/callback. The movie is a little too long. There's a bit I'd cut from Canto Bight.

I wouldn't let any negativity stop you from going back to the movie, Nicklab. I've seen it five times, and I enjoy it more and more. The quibbles I have with it stand out more, but that's every SW film.

I'm hopeful for Solo, but have no expectations.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 19, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Agreed on editing etc...they really could have cut it down to a 2 hour movie pretty easily...by shortening Canto Bight and cleaning up the end (did they really need a Falcon chase?)

A few questions about the Falcon part: Did someone call for Chewie and Rey to find them in some place other than the shield door (Could be Rey's Force senses at work)?  And why, once they've dispatched the fighters, didn't they go back and take on the walkers, Kylo's shuttle, or the 'doorbuster' laser?  The Falcon's better equipped than Snowspeeders... or were the quad-lasers taken out by Chewie's tunnel detour (and someone said the Falcon loses the dish again)?

I've only been able to see the movie once so far.  Part of what's been deterring me has been all of the people hating on the movie has gotten me so aggravated that it's making the prospect of seeing the movie again less enjoyable.

Nick, let the haters hate.  It's worth a repeated viewing.  I still haven't gotten out to see it for a third time... just too much going on in my life at the moment, but I plan to. 

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #338 on: January 19, 2018, 02:59 PM »
A few questions about the Falcon part: Did someone call for Chewie and Rey to find them in some place other than the shield door (Could be Rey's Force senses at work)?  And why, once they've dispatched the fighters, didn't they go back and take on the walkers, Kylo's shuttle, or the 'doorbuster' laser?

These are great questions. The film glosses over Rey's discovery of the Supremacy - one assumes she learned its location from Kylo - but also the fact that it's in the middle of blowing up the Resistance fleet. I was waiting for a shot of the Falcon to attempt to 'thread' the walkers. I guess they wanted that perfect shot of Luke walking out to meet them all, and didn't want some to go down.

To that point though, the Falcon does lose both the ventral laser turret and the radar dish. Again.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #339 on: January 19, 2018, 03:30 PM »

A few questions about the Falcon part: Did someone call for Chewie and Rey to find them in some place other than the shield door (Could be Rey's Force senses at work)?  And why, once they've dispatched the fighters, didn't they go back and take on the walkers, Kylo's shuttle, or the 'doorbuster' laser?  The Falcon's better equipped than Snowspeeders... or were the quad-lasers taken out by Chewie's tunnel detour (and someone said the Falcon loses the dish again)?

These are great questions. The film glosses over Rey's discovery of the Supremacy - one assumes she learned its location from Kylo - but also the fact that it's in the middle of blowing up the Resistance fleet. I was waiting for a shot of the Falcon to attempt to 'thread' the walkers. I guess they wanted that perfect shot of Luke walking out to meet them all, and didn't want some to go down.

To that point though, the Falcon does lose both the ventral laser turret and the radar dish. Again.

Chewie and Rey were tracking the beacon.  They knew there was an exit because the crystal foxes were running out of it.

I've only been able to see the movie once so far.  Part of what's been deterring me has been all of the people hating on the movie has gotten me so aggravated that it's making the prospect of seeing the movie again less enjoyable.

Go see it again Nick and don't worry about anyone else's opinion.  I liked it the first time I saw it, but enjoyed it more on the 2nd and 3rd viewing.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 19, 2018, 04:08 PM »

I think Matt touched on this, but there is defintiely a shot of Rey using her tracker in the MF cockpit and following Leia's signal through the underground tunnels at the back of the base. I assume she and Chewie had read the situation and realized the survivors needed a getaway ship more than a battle assist.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 19, 2018, 04:25 PM »
Thanks for the responses, guys!  Forgot about the tracker here and missed the radar dish getting it.  I assumed Rey's cannon bought it though.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #342 on: January 19, 2018, 05:17 PM »
I forgot about the tracker also. Good catch.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 19, 2018, 05:39 PM »

Nick, let the haters hate.  It's worth a repeated viewing.  I still haven't gotten out to see it for a third time... just too much going on in my life at the moment, but I plan to. 

I tend to agree with your general sentiment.  But the hate has been SO toxic that it's made it that much more difficult for me to enjoy the movie-going experience.

I'm committing to seeing TLJ again next week.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:51 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 24, 2018, 10:20 AM »
So I went to see THE LAST JEDI again yesterday.  And I liked it that much more on the second viewing!  It didn't seem too long and it flowed well.

For the critics who say that the Canto Bight segment didn't contribute to the overall story?  I disagree.  Notably, because Force spirit Yoda told us why:  Failure is our greatest teacher.  Sure, Finn and Rose failed to disable the hyperspace tracker.  But they learned about who the people of the First Order really are.  They learned of the arms dealers that have been playing both sides.  They learned more about an underworld that might help the Rebels, but to be wary of them since the underworld will also play both sides for their own gain.

Feedback