Author Topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)  (Read 163884 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)
« Reply #345 on: January 24, 2018, 11:01 AM »
I'm glad you saw it again and liked it.

I 100% agree the Canto Bight thread thematically supports the whole movie, which is really about failure. The failure of Luke, of Snoke, of Rey to convert Kylo, of Kylo to let go of the past he so desperately wants Rey to, of the Resistance and the FO in their respective aims. That's why the final scene with Broom Kid works so well; the victory is the intangible legend Luke gives the galaxy, which can never be undone with fleets, walkers, space stations or mass murder.

I will say the Canto Bight scenes needed some focus structurally. The sequence goes on too long in places, especially with the Fathiers. I personally would have sent Poe/Finn together. I think there would have been more conflict for Poe to discover the action he likes a little too much is all a product of a moneyed elite that has no allegiance except to profit. I don't know what Rose learns, in her story. She remains dedicated to the Resistance, and to justice, from start to finish. She opens Finn's eyes about things, sure, but there's no tension there. Poe wanting to run back to the Resistance and fight and Finn wanting to run away to Rey works better.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 24, 2018, 11:13 AM »
I think that Rose learns that "heroes" are not all they're cracked up to be.  Finn makes that clear to her pretty quickly.  She had a whole hero worship thing going for him at first, but he quickly disappointed her.  And Rose also learns that the Resistance/Rebels are her family, despite having lost her sister Paige.  I think Rose is likely to develop more in Episode 9.

As for the movie-going experience?  I was so much more relaxed.  There were barely a dozen people in the theater.  I was actually the first one to sit down.  The lady who entered right after me commented that she thought she was going to have the theater all to herself.  But having the whole theater quieter and more relaxed made for a more immersive setting for me.  I could really take it all in.  And that same lady commented to me after the movie:  she said that she liked it much more on the second viewing, too.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:28 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #347 on: January 24, 2018, 11:20 AM »
That's cool. The last showing I saw was just a few people. I like that, as much as I do the crowd.

That's true on Rose. Family is a huge theme in the movie, too. But it's more about the idea of a family, which may upset some of the critics. The story is no longer about the Skywalkers. That literally and figuratively ended in this movie, both with Luke's passing and the breaking of the lightsaber, a symbolic representation. What we have at the end though is what Leia says: they have all they need.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #348 on: January 24, 2018, 11:51 AM »
I think that Rose learns that "heroes" are not all they're cracked up to be.  Finn makes that clear to her pretty quickly.  She had a whole hero worship thing going for him at first, but he quickly disappointed her.  And Rose also learns that the Resistance/Rebels are her family, despite having lost her sister Paige.  I think Rose is likely to develop more in Episode 9.

Finn wasn't running away because he was a coward like Rose thought....he was leaving the fleet with the beacon because he was trying to protect Rey.

Glad you went to see it again Nick, and also glad you enjoyed it more on the second viewing.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 25, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Nick, glad you caught the movie again.  I think it gets better with each viewing since I picked up new things in the story that I missed.  Now I can explore the other details in the background...

...which I did last night when a friend and I went.  We went to a 10:20PM showing and were the only two in the theater (probably due to the time, I would suspect).  I finally caught the Falcon losing the dish (a TIE blasted it off.  I wonder if what shape the dish will be in Ep 9?).  I also noticed that Rey had the pieces of Luke's lightsaber in her hands when she was talking to Leia on the Falcon, so I wonder if the lightsaber will play a role in her construction of her blade (a rebuild or template).  I caught some interesting aliens in Canto Bight and on the Resistance ship that would be nice if they were made into figures (not holding my breath, but would be nice).

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 26, 2018, 03:41 PM »
Check out the /Film podcast with special guest, director Rian Johnson.  It's an enlightening interview where Johnson touches on a good deal of the plot points of the film, and his mindset going into the production of THE LAST JEDI

It's a fairly wide-ranging interview, and goes on for well over and hour and a half.  He touched on some of the hot-button issues that fans have raised, including the question of Rey's parents.  He addressed it in a very thoughtful way and it's absolutely worth a listen.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #351 on: February 20, 2018, 11:41 AM »
It's official - Bluray, 4K, home digital on 3/27.

Extras:

- The Director and the Jedi – Go deep behind the scenes with writer-director Rian Johnson on an intimate and personal journey through the production of the movie—and experience what it’s like to helm a global franchise and cultural phenomenon.

- Balance of the Force – Explore the mythology of the Force and why Rian Johnson chose to interpret its role in such a unique way.

- Scene Breakdowns
  • Lighting the Spark: Creating the Space Battle – Get a close-up look at the epic space battle, from the sounds that help propel the action, through the practical and visual effects, to the characters who bring it all to life.
  • Snoke and Mirrors – Motion capture and Star Wars collide as the filmmakers take us through the detailed process of creating the movie’s malevolent master villain.
  • Showdown on Crait – Break down everything that went into creating the stunning world seen in the movie’s final confrontation, including the interplay between real-word locations and visual effects, reimagining the walkers, designing the crystal foxes, and much more.

- Andy Serkis Live! (One Night Only) – Writer-director Rian Johnson presents two exclusive sequences from the movie featuring Andy Serkis’ riveting, raw on-set performance before his digital makeover into Snoke.

- Deleted Scenes (14) – With an introduction and optional commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.

- Audio Commentary – View the movie with in-depth feature audio commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.

* Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:44 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 7, 2018, 06:22 PM »
Star Wars Show posted a deleted scene (actually more of an alternative scene) in the duel between Finn and Phasma.  I actually prefer this version more than the original.  I wonder why it was reshot?  Pacing, perhaps?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 8, 2018, 08:28 AM »
Weird, because nothing else about the movie seemed condensed.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 8, 2018, 09:58 AM »
Yeah, I don't see how that would have really stretched things out all that much, and it's a much more compelling angle, IMO. Makes me wonder what else they left out, like a scene where Rey explains how she got back to the Falcon from Snoke's shuttle.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 8, 2018, 10:30 AM »
I just think it's better than Phasma going out by falling into a pit of fire.  It expanded her character, made her more cool... though I'd reshoot her taking out her four swayed comrades into a wider shot.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #357 on: March 8, 2018, 11:45 AM »
I like the deleted scene, and the added moment for Phasma, but really the discussion of her lowering the shields doesn't add anything to the scene or the story. We already know it as the audience, and she doesn't suffer any consequences as a result because she kills the troopers, and then appears to die/disappear the same as she does in the film. If the thread had been teased out more, and properly developed - thinking of Kallus right now - then it would have made sense to keep it.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 9, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Weird, because nothing else about the movie seemed condensed.

+1

They should have taken that approach with Canto Bight, etc.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 12, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Anybody checked out the options for upcoming Blu-Ray release to know who has the best deal and what pack-ins are the coolest?