Author Topic: Regional Pop (Soda) You Love?  (Read 6745 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Regional Pop (Soda) You Love?
« on: July 9, 2014, 09:31 PM »
Saw this mentioned in an article, and it got me thinking...  Is there regional pop you love?  Maybe you didn't even know it was a regional thing?

Cherikee Red's gotta take the cake for most racist soda in my neck of the woods.  It's good stuff though, and hails from out east a ways, but I still consider it pretty regional.

Very regional is a bottling company about 20 mins from where I live called Natrona Bottling, which still sells pop in glass pop-top bottles.  The flavors are heavy, and the carbonation isn't a mechanical process like most are now.  They actually bought old carbonating machines to do things old school.  Pricey, but love it.

Tried and true Faygo is still big here...  Not just for the Juggalo either.  Love the black cherry.

I love micro-brew beers, but I've found almost every place making its own beer makes its own root beer too, and so I also love to sample the thick syrupy micro-root beers around here too.  I'll even buy a growler, but that stuff can make you sick if you hit it too hard.  It's a diabetic nightmare.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Re: Regional Pop (Soda) You Love?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 09:53 PM »
I'd say Dr. Pepper, but it's not truly a regional drink.

We used to have Big Red and Red Rattler.  I still stumble across Big Red from time to time.  I believe Red Rattler died out in the 90s, but I loved it.  Both of them kind of taste like carbonated pink bubblegum.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 10:31 AM »
I recently tried Big Red, they were handing them out for free after a Carolina Hurricanes vs. NJ Devils game. It was not for me, i tried adding various different alcohol to the cans but none of them made it better. Then again, I don't like soda in general but am always down to try something new.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 12:38 PM »
Moxie is always a safe bet when in the NE...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 03:26 PM »
Hey Jesse, you should come to San Diego where we have hundreds of Micro beer breweries everywhere :).You can take jugs to the brewery and have them fill and seal them. At Sea World they have a micro brewer and hand out free 6 ounce cups.
  I'm not sure if Jones soda is local but the flavors are good. You can send them photos you take, if they like them they will put them on the labels. 
He's no good to me open

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 01:38 AM »
Sea world micro brew?  Now that's weird haha.

They sell Jones here too actually but no clue how small a bottler they are.

There's an event here called the Big Pour.  It's a microbrew event, expensive with limited capacity and I can rarely get online to get tickets when they're on sale.  Some local pop bottles attend too I guess.  One local place is returning to selling seltzer and stuff, and syrups, like soda shops.  Supposed to be a very different taste.  I guess they went around buying up old equipment and bottles.  They're delivering to local restaurants and things.  Seemed pretty weird but I've not tried it yet.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 06:09 PM »
I forgot that Sea World was sold and no longer owned by AB the company that owns Budwiser beer.
Here in the West we call it Soda and I guess in the East coast they call it Pop.
He's no good to me open

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 06:50 PM »
In the Mid-West we call it Pop.  South is typically "Coke".  Everywhere else is Soda.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 07:04 PM »
I was born in Wisconsin and we called it soda there. Moved to Ohio as a kid and had to relearn it as pop. I am waging a one man war to switch it to soda around here. Everyone takes the eccentricity well. Very few people even comment on it.

We just started getting Cheerwine here. Bright red and tastes like cherry Dr Pepper. When I was a kid my dad worked for a local soda bottler called Graf's in WI. I often wonder if they're still around.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Is Green River a regional thing or is that everywhere?  I remember going to little league games as a kid and getting that at any concession stand that was serving it.  Loved that stuff.

Born and raised in Chicago and it was always 'pop'.  Had relatives that moved to Texas and everyone looked at them as if they were crazy when they ordered a 'pop'.  Took them years before they got used to everyone ordering a 'coke' wherever they went, even if it meant they were ordering a Sprite, root beer, or something else.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 08:36 PM »
I've found Pop's a "rustbelt" thing almost, and some of the South, but not all...  Like Deep South (Mississippi, Alabama, etc.).  I noticed when I've been in Chicago them calling it Pop...  Michigan too, and Ohio.  It's a sin to call it Soda in Pittsburgh.  :-X

Vegas they called it pop, which shocked me.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 10:32 AM »
I'm in Rochester, New York.  It's "pop" around here.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 02:10 AM »
http://www.popvssoda.com

I say pop...I think we should call it all Soda Pop

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 09:39 AM »
I can still remember going to college and coming across people from Rochester and Buffalo who said "Pop" instead of soda.  At first I thought they were violent, asking "Hey, do you wanna pop?"  After that, it just got annoying.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 10:32 AM »
I can still remember going to college and coming across people from Rochester and Buffalo who said "Pop" instead of soda.  At first I thought they were violent, asking "Hey, do you wanna pop?"  After that, it just got annoying.

I remember that in college people thought I was saying "pot", which totally altered the path of the initial conversation.