Author Topic: San Diego Comic Con 2014  (Read 10397 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Comic Con 2014
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2014, 04:02 PM »
Can't believe I didn't get the Commander Doom gag until just now. 

:(

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:16 PM by Jeff »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 04:04 PM »
Few exclusives was disconcerting.  No K-Mart sets this year?  Yikes. :(

6" clearly is big for them, and will clearly be big for them.  They expressed how much they liked working on that line, as noted in our coverage on the front page.

1.  That's true, I didn't think of that, Jesse.  The whole lack of a cool exclusive.

2.  I like some of the stuff put out in the 6" line, but to be honest, I think I've bought some that I may return and just stick with the ANH versions of the character, Bounty Hunters or first appearances, etc.  Bespin Luke is nice, but I'd like to have Farmboy instead.  I'm going to keep away from Prequel stuff, though I have an unopened Obi-Wan.  Clones- I'll pass on them.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 04:08 PM »
I'm not jumping scale but Bossk shall be mine.  He has achacha jaw.

I will be ok with Chewbacca but yeah, not necessary.  Earlybird Bacca is where it's at. Now we have yawning Chewie.

The only Rebs figures I want are the DP Pilot and Chopper...  though that Devronian/IG set piques my curiosity.

Ummm...  Yeah.  Pants clean.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2014, 04:13 PM »
And what's up with Darth Luke's face?  I think the PotJ one was a good sculpt

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 04:16 PM »
I feel similarly.  No articulation though, but yeah, he and Chewie are throw-aways kinda.  I mean Chewie's a nice scuplt but that LUke?  Very unnecessary.  I'm sure I'll wind up with one via a case, but I hope to get 2 of each commander ultimately.

And a couple Dutch would be nice.  He looks good and generic.  I like generic.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 05:06 PM »
And what's up with Darth Luke's face?  I think the PotJ one was a good sculpt

The head sculpt on that POTJ figure was cool, but the rest of the figure was approaching salt and pepper shaker status.  I can appreciate the update for the sake of articulation.  But I want to see some better photos of the face sculpt.  That's the make or break feature on the Dagobah Force spirit Darth Vader.

Ah, here we go courtesy of GH's facebook images:

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:31 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 05:32 PM »
Well I'm excited for Dutch Vander, and is that Rex or some other Clone? Guess it's Wolffe. Leia looks great but I wouldn't be surprised if she just had shoulder articulation at this point.

Chewie... I think it's different. New headsculpt. The VOTC 04 version was based on ROTJ and had an open mouth while the Early Bird 05 was based on ANH and had a closed mouth. This one is a mix between the two?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Yeah new head is all there on Chewbacca, growling (yawning?) at whoever.  He should come with a medal. :)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 05:54 PM »
The snarling Chewbacca is somewhat understandable.  I really, really like the Early Bird version.  But how often did you see Chewbacca that placid?  His best scenes are the ones where he was snarling.

Still, there was a way that Hasbro could have done this and made it a little more interesting.  Give him the Imperial blaster rifle and manacles for the Detention Block breakout.  That would distinguish this version to the point of making it a little more interesting.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Our Q&A is in, courtesy of Darth_Anton, and Hasbro was pretty open but not about everything.  Anthony DID knock out all questions we sent in, and so we'll have that posted as soon as possible.

Thanks to Anthony, and Solrac (Carlos Mercado) for taking care of ALL of our photo galleries, floor work, Q&A, and just generally putting up with all the requests and demands we've made on their OWN time at this show.  This is to be a vacation for these poor guys and they're working for us, and the site, so that's really a huge effort on their part.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2014, 06:41 PM »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2014, 06:45 PM »
my email right now haha

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Just home now and looking over the presentation stuff...  what happened to the rumored 3.75" Hoth Han? :(

At Toy Fair, Hasbro was hinting about a Dewback and the Hoth beasties, so I guess the Dewback is a good candidate for Wave 3 of the 6" Deluxe stuff with the other two revealed now.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2014, 08:19 PM »
I was just thinking what would be next in the deluxe 6 inch line and I think a Dewback is about as strong a lock as you can get. I'd like to think a landspeeder wouldn't too much of a stretch, but not sure. A Snowtrooper and E-WEB heavy blaster and as mentioned elsewhere a Hoth Han or Chewie maybe with a Probe Droid would be candidates as well.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2014, 09:09 PM »
A pretty good SDCC, but a bit of a mixed bag as well.  Not that anything shown looks bad necessarily, but I was hoping for a little bit more news in the 3 3/4" Black Series.  I guess when we were given the teasers about "change your underwear exciting" and this massive 12 figure wave that they were referring to this line and we'd see a little more.  Maybe they will sneak in another 2-3 figures throughout the weekend in the case which they often do, but even some of the ones shown (Leia for example) have place cards that say Jan 2015.  That doesn't leave a whole lot on the way for the rest of the year for that line either.  I can kind of see putting Chewie out there again (I've always felt the EB one was pretty much "good forever"), and the new head is a nice spin on it.  Aside from the Mission Series, Chewie actually doesn't seem to hit the pegs all that often anymore.  I'm in for the OT offerings, and kind of like those clones as well (totally missed the Doom thing before as well, but that is cool).

I do collect the 6" line (the OT ones at least), and that stuff looks pretty amazing.  I can't wait for those Hoth deluxe sets, always a big fan of the Taun Taun.  The others like Bossk, TIE Pilot, and Han Stormie all look nice as well.  Like others have said, there is so much potential for this line since they can go and re-do all the big guns (and everyone else) for the first time.  I plan to stick with the OT ones going forward, they look nice.

I'm more excited than I thought for the Rebels stuff, particularly the vehicles.  I'm definitely down for that Transport.  Although I didn't have the vintage one, I had a good friend that did, and always thought it was pretty cool.  I'm on the fence with the figures.  I thought this time around I'd sit the toys out, and just enjoy the show, but we'll see if I can resist.  Decent prices with the 5 POA stuff, so it might be more tempting.

Overall, I'm pretty excited for what's on the horizon, but I just wish there was more 3 3/4" goodness (Black Series).  Not only for now, but it concerns me a little about Episode VII.  We may see the whole line switch to the 5 POA stuff, since there doesn't seem to be a lot of priority for the 3 3/4" articulated stuff right now.