Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: 8D8
« Reply #1 on: September 5, 2014, 12:17 PM »
Not the most interesting figure ever made, but I do remember having him attack the Rebels now and then as a kid!   ;D

I don't really yearn for another update to this figure.  The POTF2 version isn't bad at all.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #2 on: September 5, 2014, 12:22 PM »
I loved this figure as a kid. I used it a lot as a doctor with 2-1B when Luke would "get hurt".
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: September 5, 2014, 01:47 PM »
8D8 is a vintage figure that oddly holds up in modern scenes...  It was fairly well done.  A little chunky, but really it does hold up fairly nicely against a modern figure at this point.

The modern counterpart is nice, the light pipe is always fun (IMO) and the sculpt is definitely more accurate, thin, detailed.  With the basic body super articulated for the Build-A-Droid figure BG-J38 though, this is one I really had hoped we'd see redone with better articulation.

BG's ability to stand, plus be posed doing various gambling things, was a positive for any droid.  I would enjoy a new 8D8 though, as well as his weird friend EV-9D9, whose modern figure was kind of worse than her vintage one in a way besides the computer station.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77