Author Topic: NYCC 2014  (Read 9447 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: NYCC 2014
« Reply #30 on: October 9, 2014, 01:13 AM »
I would be okay with this "re-release" of 3PO if they have perfected being able to take him COMPLETELY apart like when he's blasted apart on Bespin. You can get close with TVC figure, but there were limitations.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 9, 2014, 12:17 PM »
So would you say the Jawas are 3.75" scale or 6" scale, Jeff?

They are suposed to be 3.75" scale.  They are a little on the tall side, but they were definitely intended to be a 3.75" product. 

As was pointed out on the JD Twitter, they work for the "tall Jawas" at the Lars' homestead scene:

Ah.  I know there had been some rumors circulating about the possibility of a TBS 6" Jawa 2-pack, and I thought it was a possibility that these Jawas might be part of that set.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #32 on: October 9, 2014, 12:28 PM »
Yeah that was my first thought when I saw them because at least in the pics they seem huge compared to 3-PO. If they're tall Jawas, cool. I think they're great and look forward to buying lots of them. I do hope we see them in the 6 inch line though.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #33 on: October 9, 2014, 07:56 PM »
I like the Jaws and the Leia, I need that Han Solo for my Bespin shelf!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: October 9, 2014, 08:09 PM »
The Jawas look great, I just find their height kind of odd.  I'm definitely a Mosep and Han Carbo guy though, with Leia a close 3rd...  The Jawas come in 4th, and 3PO isn't even on the radar at this point. :(

The Jawas featuring two updated blaster (POTF2 and the accurate ion blaster), and the little POTF2 pistols got updated too, I like those kinds of touches.  Much like Ree Yees getting updated POTF2 blasters.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 9, 2014, 09:06 PM »
Overall, I'm pretty happy with what was shown at NYCC.  Not a huge showing, once again, but it really hasn't been for awhile now.  Honestly, it almost seemed like as much was shown here as was at SDCC.  The 3 3/4" Black Series stuff is really nice, I'm especially excited for the new Carbonite Han.  The Leia Boussh looks really nice too, although I was pretty happy with the TSC version.  The Jawas are cool, as well as 3PO, and of course Mosep.

The 6" stuff had a nice showing again, with the IG-88, Boussh Leia, Luke/Han Stormie, Emperor, etc. all looking pretty nice.  Nothing else shown for the deluxe sets, but we do already know about the Taun Taun and Wampa sets.

Honestly, what I was sort of surprised by was the Mission Series and Saga Legends stuff.  Now, like most, I'd prefer more articulation than what these offer, but I thought the new stuff looked kind of cool.  I have picked up all the OT based ones so far, and will continue to I think, and the new stuff looked neat.  Bespin Han, the Luke/Leia set, the Hoth set, and Yoda/R2 all looked nice.  Like it was already mentioned, I think that Yoda might almost look better than the recent Black Series release (although we haven't seen a final copy yet).  I often think, if this is what came out with the POTF2 release in 1995, people would have been blown away.

I knew we likely wouldn't get any Ep7 reveals yet, but I am a little curious about the future.  I noticed in the little Avengers preview for the next movie, they seem to be taking the same 6" collectors figures and 2.5" figure and vehicle line approach they did with Guardians.  Since Hasbro often likes to cookie cutter the lines a bit, I sure hope we don't see that approach with the new SW movies.  The 6" figures are great, but 3 3/4" is always the bread and butter for SW I think.  Even if they go with the 5 POA style (which I hope we get more than that), at least it would continue that scale.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: October 9, 2014, 09:15 PM »
I've always hated that hand on the Saga Leia Boussh, or I'd agree.  She doesn't do much of course, but at the same time there's few Leia looks that are as cool, so I'm glad they re-did her.  BTW we'd been hinting since last year that there was a new Leia coming...  this is she.  I didn't expect a 6" one too, but this is one that has been on Hasbro's radar to improve (the hand bugged them too) for well over a year. ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 9, 2014, 11:00 PM »
BTW we'd been hinting since last year that there was a new Leia coming...  this is she. 

Along with Endor Celebration Leia and the MS ANH Princess Leia (sigh... why can't it be the Black Series, too).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: October 9, 2014, 11:07 PM »
This is the only one we'd heard about...  I thought it weird at the time, but was trusted source (same one that told us about Fett/Carbo Han for SDCC).  I'm pleased, but I figured (at the time) they'd not update TSC Boussh Leia. 

Then they did Ceremony Luke and I knew anything was on the table. :P

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 08:47 AM »
Yeah, I've been so busy at work this week I haven't had time to catch up on all the news, but it does some like a pretty fair showing.

I still think it's a little odd we haven't gotten a glimpse of 6" 3PO, seeing as how he has been rumored for so long. Makes me wonder if they are struggling with the VAC metal apps or something.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 10:31 AM »
I read the Q&A session from Imperial Shipyards, and Hasbro said that the 6" C-3PO was being delayed by some challenges with the paint apps. It won't be vac metallized, but it will feature gold paint.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2014, 10:42 AM »
The Jawas look great, I just find their height kind of odd.

They seem a little tall, but they're not that bad.  There are tall compared to C-3PO who was right next to them, but he was a little small which just makes the Jawas look taller I guess.  In person they're really not that bad.

3 3/4" is always the bread and butter for SW I think.  Even if they go with the 5 POA style (which I hope we get more than that), at least it would continue that scale.

I think it is safe to say that zero 3.75" for Star Wars is never going to happen. Whether they go strictly 5POA or try to keep both 5POA and collector lines remains to be seen I guess.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2014, 11:13 AM »
Han Carbonite-related: I never noticed this until Adywan fixed it last year for his ESB: Revisited.

You can see in Picture A that Han is wearing his classic A New Hope low cut shirt. In most of Empire Strikes Back, Han is seen wearing the shirt shown in Picture B, with the flap. This is what he is wearing when he is frozen. However, when the prop makers made the life-sized cast of frozen Han (Picture C), they didn’t have access to the new wardrobe yet, so they sculpted his low cut shirt from A New Hope (the face is Harrison’s though, of which Adywan has a cast of also). Picture D shows that Han is wearing his flapped shirt when he is unfrozen in Return of the Jedi.

So Adywan is making a flapped shirt model to replace the close up shots when the low cut shirt can be seen. It may seem like a lot of work for something so small, but Adywan wasn’t about to let something like that go by without trying to fix it.

Adywan's fix in-progress:

This was achieved by making the front section of the shirt in cotton and then dipping in resin and applying to the body and then shaped to give the wrinkles. Hollow areas were then filled and it was then given a light coat of resin.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 11:28 AM »
All are nice choices and look just great. Loving that their waves seem to favor having companion pieces like the Han Carbonite and Leia Boussh in this one. With the re-issues, it'd be nice to see the Rebel Soldier (Echo Base Gear) out there again, though.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2014, 03:23 PM »
Carbonite Han and Boush Leia hide knee articulations perfectly on 3.75 inches scale.
I wonder if Mossep skirt has a slot at the side to let him seat on a playset.

The 6 inches line is refreshed with Luke stormtrooper and Leia Boush; in certain way that would be the best face sculpt for
the last Slave Leia.