Author Topic: X-Wing/TIE Fighter Rerelease?  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
X-Wing/TIE Fighter Rerelease?
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:58 PM »
http://kotaku.com/x-wing-tie-fighter-are-finally-getting-digital-re-rele-1651470045

Special downloadable versions of both X-Wing and Tie Fighter will soon be released on Good Old Games. They'll be $10 each.

For that price you're getting not just the special editions of the games (which had slightly higher resolutions and improved sound, as well all of both games' expansions), but more importantly they'll be editions of the games that will run on a modern PC without the need to tinker.

I don't think I've played these games in around 15 years so I'm definitely in.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: X-Wing/TIE Fighter Rerelease?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 11:45 PM »
I am beyond in.  These two, + X-Wing: Alliance, are the finest games ever for the Star Wars brand.  Nothing ever rivaled them, to me.  Alliance's only flaw was the story abruptly ends, thanks to the beginning of the end of Lucasarts happening around that time.

I'm excited for this.  $10 for games I'd have paid more for, honestly.  Now I gotta get a flight stick. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 12:06 AM »
Makes me wonder if Steam's lost or losing the Jedi Knight/Dark Forces line-up?  I should maybe buy those lickity split.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 06:55 PM »
I've downloaded both...  I'm ready to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum.

I like that they included the manuals, which had "encrypted codes".  These things were glorious pieces of EU, as much as immersive gaming experiences.  I have the game SG's on my Star Wars reference book shelf, and I have them there because the guides were expanded material on the game's storylines!  I cannot wait to get back into these.  To see those glorious cutscenes (the Rebels destroying that Destroyer with the bomb they sneak aboard using a stolen shuttle?  The scene is a wealth of custom ideas!), the kick ass missions and story, and the complex game play that made Star Wars fighters seem so much more real than even the movies made them seem!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 08:30 PM »
May be just me, but you MUST have a PC flight stick to play this game.  Just a heads up.  You actually have it loaded to even load the game, which surprised me.  XW and TIE used to be usable with a mouse/keyboard if you were a daring soul, but not any longer I guess.

I just ordered a flight stick off Amazon for under $50 shipped free.  There are cheaper though.  I wanted something slightly above average though, as I plan to enjoy this a while.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 3, 2014, 04:01 AM »
Didn't know these were out already. I have a little USB Super Nintendo controller I use for emulated games but that's obviously not a flight stick so it probably won't work. I'll have to check the local electronics shops to see if they still sell any.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: November 3, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Check amazon out.  That's where I got mine for a fair price.  They have real simple ones all the way to $500 ones haha.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: November 3, 2014, 08:36 PM »
I played, and let me say I would not be in an elite squad anymore.  Time to work my way back up.  I hope there's a way to back up your pilot.  :-X