Author Topic: Han Solo (In Tench Coat)  (Read 6453 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Han Solo (In Tench Coat)
« on: November 8, 2014, 10:27 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Han Solo (In Tench Coat)
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2014, 11:35 PM »
Never had the vintage version....love the modern version (although he's set to be frozen in carbonite in my Bespin display.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 9, 2014, 10:04 AM »
I was a huge Han fan back in the day and the vintage version was one of the first figures that I never got as a kid and it always bothered me. Was one of the first I acquired after the line was retired though.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 9, 2014, 06:28 PM »
Never did like the modern VTSC version for some reason. I think it was the resculpted body, which has a terrible ball joint and makes the limbs and head look really small.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 01:04 AM »
I got the original figure on clearance (Gold Circle!) for his gun and coat...  I was beyond Star Wars at that point, and I'd moved onto GI Joe.  The gun and coat would wind up with my favorite Joe repeatedly (or Sallah's coat, which had more give and could tie shut).

Articulation meant everything to me at that point. :D

As I got back into Star Wars, in the early 90's, Endor Han was one of my first buys because he was my favorite incarnation of Solo...  The original SW figure was goofy at best, and Bespin Han didn't look like him at all to me. 

Endor Han and Bespin Han were also some of my favorite bases for early custom work.

The Vintage Collection Han (or the one from the Battlepack which has a better headsculpt IMO) is a very far cry from perfection...  The barrel-shaped unnecessarily ball-jointed torso is simply dismal.  Just such a bad choice, and a rare instance of Hasbro going too far with articulation at the cost of aesthetics.  Add in the TVC figure's oddly tiny head and a not-so-good likeness, and it's a failure that needs remedied. 

Oh, did I mention I absolutely loathe the "sculpted on thigh strap" for the holster too?  So dumb looking...  Sculpt the strap onto the holster, ala Bespin Luke's last couple figures.  it doesn't hinder articulation at all it seems, and doesn't leave that silly looking bit on the figure's leg but not attached to the holster.

Han Endor is a figure I'd champion for an update big time at this point.  He, and a brown coat Hoth Han for on a Taun-Taun, are two very big updates we need to see.  Cantina Han would be next in line then I think.  They just don't put out enough Solo figures.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77