Author Topic: Disney Star Wars Land  (Read 64003 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Disney Star Wars Land
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:05 PM »
One thing my wife and I were talking about is that the Harry Potter deal at Universal was huge and packed and wildly popular...the Star Tours stuff wasn't nearly as bad but still pretty packed most of the day.  Does anyone think a bigger SW attraction would work, like the World of HP?  I think it would be kick ass to ride a SW Roller coaster or some type of 3D or 4D movie...

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Star Wars Land
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 08:40 AM »
One thing my wife and I were talking about is that the Harry Potter deal at Universal was huge and packed and wildly popular...the Star Tours stuff wasn't nearly as bad but still pretty packed most of the day.  Does anyone think a bigger SW attraction would work, like the World of HP?  I think it would be kick ass to ride a SW Roller coaster or some type of 3D or 4D movie...

Yeah, I think having a roller coaster would be awesome. I think they could/should do a Snowspeeder and have a few more Walkers around that you could go around, under, over, etc.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 02:50 PM »
I could totally see a snowspeeder or pod racer coaster.  That would have been an awesome addition to that theme park.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 03:08 PM »
Even speederbikes would be fun. I believe I designed a SW theme park in my childhood.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 04:13 PM »
Reminds me of the artwork Tom Hodges did for CV where he laid out a whole SW themed amusement park.  I'd pay to go that park.

There are a bunch of things that would make a good coaster or 3D event.  Pod Racing, flight through the asteroids, Snowspeeders on Hoth, trench run, speederbikes, AOTC chase over Coruscant, Obi's chase on Utapau...I think some of these were/are in Star Tours, aren't they?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 05:16 PM »
When we were there last year, we saw the pod race, hoth battle and flew around Kashyyyk.  I believe when I asked, they said that there were 60 different flights that could be seen.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 05:50 PM »
One of the ideas that WDI had for a Star Wars ride (before they came up with the Star Tours idea) was to be a Jedi vs Sith indoor rollercoaster.  Coaster cars would randomly switch tracks between Light and Dark side of the force tracks when they start. The coaster would be dueling indoors with stars and other ships in dog flights over the Death Star surface. The problem was the ride was too much like Space Mountain so they went with the simulator idea.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 06:44 PM »
I'd rather have a coaster than a simulator.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 07:52 PM »
I have been amazed at the jump in technology these simulators have done.  Star Tours is definitely state of the art...there are times you actually feel like you are falling and the 3D is some of the best I saw.   I was thinking more of recreating sets/scenes like the Harry Potter stuff is...that is sort of what Star Tours is but the HP stuff is so much more.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 6, 2013, 09:38 AM »
I guess I just worry about whiplash with those simulator rides.  It's been awhile ago, and I believe it was the Back to the Future ride where it jerked suddenly that I cracked my head against the back of the car and ended up with a fine migraine for the rest of the day and decided I'd never ride one of those things again.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Just thought you guys would get a kick out of these concept drawing for a Star Wars battle coaster. This isn't WDI's work but would have been really cool for the new star wars land being talked about for Disneyland Paris. Great article.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2012/11/lets-talk-about-star-wars-rides-concepts.html
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 12:31 PM »
Looks like Disney's "Star Wars Land" plans are now focusing on the new movies and spin-offs... including episode 8 already.

‘Star Wars’ Theme Park Attractions to Be Based on New Films, Not Old (EXCLUSIVE)

"Iger stopped early development on theme park attractions at Imagineering. “We couldn’t tell them what was new,” Iger said, until Abrams was finished developing and producing the sequel. “I slowed it all down so what we come forward with will have a blend of the past, present and maybe the future,” referencing upcoming sequels and spinoff films. “Now we have a sense of what’s in ‘Star Wars 8,’ and what some of the standalone films will have in them.”"
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Sugart

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Makes sense. Disneyland was originally built to promote Walts movies and tv shows. No reason to change was has worked in the past. My guess is Disneys Hollywood Studios is first on the list. They just closed down pretty much half of the park with nothing new in the pipeline. It will prob be atleast 2020 before we see anything open however.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2015, 09:55 AM »
Disney to Reveal ‘Ambitious’ Theme Park Plans for ‘Star Wars’

So this is just an article to tell us that Disney still has plans, but aren't actually revealing anything until later in 2015?  Ok then.   ???
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 6, 2015, 02:33 PM »
I could totally see a snowspeeder or pod racer coaster.  That would have been an awesome addition to that theme park.

Or even an X-Wing style Death Star Battle.