Author Topic: Disney Star Wars Land  (Read 64463 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Star Wars Land
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2019, 11:09 AM »
You would think that at a land that was build exclusively to sell expensive stuff they would stock their land better than my local walmart.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2019, 05:58 PM »
The TSA employees just want free collectible soda bottles.

In my state, that's supplemental income.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #153 on: September 3, 2019, 02:26 AM »
Just got back from vacation, which included a stop at Disneyland and Star Wars Galaxy's Edge. :D

Long story short, our end of summer family trip to San Diego turned into a SoCal adventure - my wife used Costco travel to set-up three days at Disneyland to surprise me with a chance to see Galaxy's Edge and The Millennium Falcon (and the rest of Disneyland, which I'd never visited).

It's all still a bit of a whirlwind with vacation and now school tomorrow, but maybe later this week I'll get a chance to type up a larger post with some of my thoughts - overall, it was awesome.  Just amazing to see, especially the Falcon.  Smuggler's Run was a blast - a definite A+.  We rode it enough times to try each spot at least once (piloting was my favorite).  My wife also set up a time for my three boys and I to do the lightsaber building experience at Savi's Workshop.  It was so nerdy (in a good way) and so much fun. An amazing experience.  Disney gets an A+ on that one too.

Overall a totally nerdy experience (again, nerdy in a good way).  I would recommend it to anyone who loves Star Wars and doesn't have a stick up their butt about the sequel trilogy or Rey or Disney.  If you hate TFA/TLJ/Rey, you are probably not gonna like the Black Spire storylines. 

For me, it was a ton of fun dorking out and just going all out Star Wars for parts of the day.  Seeing the Millennum Falcon in person, sitting in front of me?  Was like the dream come true for the kid in me (not gonna lie - I got a little misty seeing it too - damn California dust, I assume).  We got hassled by FO Stormtroopers, ran into Rey, Chewbacca, and the new Rebel Spy Vi (from a new book about Black Spire Outpost I guess) at different times.  Kids and I (and even my wife, surprisingly) all had a blast - at Galaxys Edge and the rest of the DL park (Downtown Disney, California Adventure, etc).

TSA reverses ban on Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge 'thermal detonator' Coke bottles

We were able to get quite a few deadly Thermal Detonator Coke bottles from San Diego to MSP safely. :P
« Last Edit: September 3, 2019, 02:28 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 3, 2019, 09:12 AM »
Very cool Jeff.  I think my family is aiming for a late winter trip to Disneyworld to check it out.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #155 on: September 3, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Awesome Jeff!  I do have a quick question.  Has Disney fixed their supply issues with respect to Kyber Crystals, personality chips and droid backpacks?  We'll be there in 6 weeks....I'm so excited to see it!
« Last Edit: September 3, 2019, 12:42 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #156 on: September 3, 2019, 11:34 PM »
Obviously I’m hyper jealous Jeff, but glad you got to have an experience like that.

My close local friends are going Thursday and are going to pick up some toys for me.  I feel bad even asking because I know their senses will be on overload and they really just need to enjoy themselves.  It looks like just a ton to take in.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #157 on: September 4, 2019, 11:08 AM »
Has Disney fixed their supply issues with respect to Kyber Crystals, personality chips and droid backpacks?

There were plenty of Kyber Crystals and accessories for droids when we were there.  Pretty much everything is limited to one of each item per person to make it harder for scalpers.  I heard some things were still sold out in the toymaker shop but I can't recall what that was.

I think between me and the three boys, we bought at least one of every crystal except white (no one wanted that one :P).  I even lucked into the rare chase black crystal so we all dorked out about that.  For the Droid Depot, I went back and forth about a backpack for my droid but opted to spend that money on other things instead (so many things to buy).
« Last Edit: September 9, 2019, 12:53 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 4, 2019, 12:26 PM »
That's awesome news Jeff!  Thanks for filling us in.

I want one of each kyber crystal.  I think the backpacks for the droids will make it easier for my kids to carry theirs around the park (I want one too).

I'm also hoping to get the dejarik board....I haven't heard anything about those being sold out.

So what does your lightsaber look like?  :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 01:50 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 30, 2019, 11:38 AM »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2019, 12:18 AM »
So we got back today from our grand California adventure that included 4 days at Disneyland, 3 Days at LEGOLAND an day at Universal Studios and some time in San Diego.

Galaxy's Edge is awesome!  I highly recommend building a lightsaber (an incredible experience), building a droid (not as much of an experience, but still really fun), and going to the cantina at least once.  Just walking around th area was great!  I was wearing one of my stormtrooper shirts and one of the FO stromtroopers walked up to me, looked at my shirt, said "Impressive", and moved on!I spent a ton of money on Dok Ondar's picking up extra kyber crystals, holocrons and extra lightsaber blades (I picked up a long one for my Savi's saber and a short blade for my 5 year old's).  The best part was Smuggler's Run.  I got to sit left seat in the Falcon with my 9 year old as my copilot.  I have wanted to fly the Millennium Falcon for 42 years.  After the ride was over, I had to sit in the seat for a second just to appreciate it!

One of the coolest things happened on our last night in Disneyland.  We went to Galaxy's Edge to watch the fireworks....BTW, when you do that, you are EXTREMELY CLOSE to the fireworks.  My kids have issues with loud sounds so both of them were covering their ears while watching the fireworks.  The day prior, we did a character meet and greet with Chewbacca near Star Tours.  Colin kept saying how Chewbacca was his friend and would say hi to him when we went to Galaxy's edge.  Well in the middle of the fireworks all of a sudden, Chewbacca was standing behind us and he was covering his ear as well!  Once Colin saw this, Chewie took his hands off his ears and kept walking through the crowd.  Colin watched the rest of the fireworks without covering his ears!  I was in awe of it!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 12:30 AM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2019, 09:15 AM »
I'm looking for advice from the crew here that has made it to Galaxy's Edge.   I'm headed to Orlando with the family in January and am interested in your recommendations.

- Should we do lightsaber building, droid building, or both?  Do we need to bother with reservations?
- What are the best times of day to go to Galaxy's Edge?  They "guides" are always telling you to go first thing, but I thought I recalled hearing from people here that by mid-afternoon it clears out a lot
- Any other sweet SWAG I should be looking to pick up or must stop restaurants/cantinas we should hit?

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2019, 10:53 AM »
I went to GE in the first week of October.  It was AWESOME.  Here's my hints:

Take your time strolling around.  There are a million little details fans will recognize and appreciate.  Make sure to go in each shop, even if you don't buy anything.  There is a lot of cool stuff to see.

I did not do droid or saber building.  The droid building does not require an appointment, you can go in and see others building.  There are some awesome full size droids on the scrap heap here too like K2-SO, etc.  Saber building is a closed event where only two people (I believe) can go in.  There were TONS of people carrying lightsabers though.  Seemed pretty popular.

I went early, and I went late.  The wait for Smuggler's Run was not bad at either time.  When I went in the evening, I went in the single rider line and literally walked right on.  A little wait here isn't bad as there is a ton to see in the queue area.  The way the place is lit up at night is something to make an extra trip for (and on a side note, so is Pandora in Animal Kingdom).

We went into the cantina, but without reservations, it was standing tables only, and my 3-YO daughter wasn't having any of that.  The bar itself is pretty awesome.  We did eat at Docking Bay 7 and the food was just decent, but the atmosphere was very cool.

I did buy a gift card at the droid depot.  It is a small metal "chip" that is "intergalactic" meaning it can be used anywhere in the resort.

Make sure you interact with the stormtroopers.  See if you can find the rebel spy.

I can't really express how awesome I thought this was.  My wife said I had a stupid grin on my face the entire time.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2019, 10:59 AM »
I'm looking for advice from the crew here that has made it to Galaxy's Edge.   I'm headed to Orlando with the family in January and am interested in your recommendations.

- Should we do lightsaber building, droid building, or both?  Do we need to bother with reservations?

Hey Dave, we went to Disneyland not Disney World, so my answers might vary.  I would definitely do both Lightsaber building and the droids.  Savi's workshop is a better experience because of the "show" they put together plus the lightsaber you build is definitely worth the money.  (I have MR/Black Series Force FX sabers that cost close to what you pay for the Savi's lightsaber and they don't have color changing removable blades!).  The droid building is fun and the droids are pretty cool.  Plus, if you leave them in close proximity to each other, they interact.  Definitely get extra personality chips for them.

- What are the best times of day to go to Galaxy's Edge?  They "guides" are always telling you to go first thing, but I thought I recalled hearing from people here that by mid-afternoon it clears out a lot

I would suggest downloading the Disney Parks app and watch the trends on the wait times.  You can also use the app to make reservations. 

- Any other sweet SWAG I should be looking to pick up or must stop restaurants/cantinas we should hit?

Definitely go to Oga's Cantina...it's a lot of fun.  Dok Ondar's Den of Antiquities is another must see place, plus it's pretty much designed to separate you from all your money.  I bought a lot of kyber crystals, holocrons and a long and short lightsaber blade for mine and my youngest's lightsabers.  Docking Bay 7 has good food (I had the Shaak Roast which was really good), but definitely walk through Ronto's Roasters.  Check out the creature stall and the Toydarian Toymaker...that's where I got the Dejarik board and the sabbac decks, plus they have a lot of things the kids will like.

I hope this helps....Florida's experience is similar to California, but a lot of things are different with respect to fast pass (not available in either Galaxy's edge, but I mean for the rest of the park) and just how things are handled overall (for example the magic bands are only used in Florida).  I'm happy to help with other questions if you have them.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2019, 03:50 PM »

Make sure you interact with the stormtroopers. 

What's the extent of the interaction? I was at Universal Studios as a little kid when the old school Cylons roamed the park. My cousin and I approached one and he knocked our heads together, lightly, but still not cool.