Author Topic: Disney Star Wars Land  (Read 64503 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Star Wars Land
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2019, 02:24 PM »
Opening day cast and crew of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2019, 07:06 PM »
It's been announced that build your own lightsabers at Galaxy Edge will be $200 and will be die-cast. I'm thinking the quality will be slightly higher than the Hasbro plastic build a lightsaber but no where near as nice as SaberForge or UltraSabers.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2019, 08:56 AM »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2019, 12:39 PM »
Dedication ceremony will be streamed live on May 29th at 8:20PDT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=59&v=AxYRuj2PVJ4

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2019, 01:47 AM »
I didn’t see a specific thread for this subject and felt it might get lost under the similar topic for the Star Wars Resort at Disney World, so started a new thread.  Anyways, this past Sunday, I had the opportunity to visit the soon-to-open Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge area at Disneyland, California.  I was able to visit thanks to my brother, a Disney Cast Member, while the park was doing a “dress rehearsal” for the operations of the new area and attractions.  As the new “land” isn’t officially open to the public, cellphones and photos were not allowed and we had to put our electronic devices into a sealed bag for the duration of our stay...  Thus I’ve included a photo of my wristband below  ;)

I won’t divulge too much, but in short, this new area of the park is awesome - basically a Star Wars Nerd’s fantasy come to life.  The new area is immersive and a lot more like one of those living history areas (think Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia) than one of the other “lands” in Disneyland like Adventureland or Fantasyland.  You have to reserve a specific time to enter and are allotted four hours for a visit.

The new area is centered around a spaceport/village called Black Spire Outpost.  It is set in the Sequel Trilogy era and the architecture and details of the spaceport and village look amazing.  Like something you’d see in the films or a movie set.  The centerpiece is a life-sized (1:1 scale) Millennium Falcon, recreated right down to the smallest pipes and wiring.  There is also a First Order Shuttle in another part. There are cast members in costumes of various movie characters, FO stormtroopers walking about, etc. The outpost village has a variety of shops and a couple restaurants, all themed to look/feel like something from Star Wars.  The shops sold a lot of unique merchandise - not so much the action figures and toys, but more like costumes and props, etc.  I did not do the build-a-lightsaber function as I didn’t have $200+ to spare!  Moving out from the outpost you come to a Resistance base with a full-sized T-70 X-Wing and A-Wing.  This part looked like it was still under development somewhat and a Resistance-themed ride is set to open next year (I think).  Tons of great photo opportunities through the entire place.

The main attractions are the cantina and the simulator ride - Millennium Falcon Smuggler’s Run.  I wasn’t able to get into the cantina due to a long line, but did do the Millennium Falcon ride a couple times.  This was a blast!  The ride involves flying a smuggling run in the Falcon and riders are assigned crew specialties (e.g. pilots gunners, engineers).  You sit in a recreation of the famous cockpit and are given control over certain aspects of the ship using buttons and controls. Its a far more interactive ride; a lot more like a flight simulator.  Again, it was really fun ;D

Overall, I really enjoyed the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge themed area immensely. It was awesome seeing the full-sized ships, the buildings, and especially the Millennium Falcon ride.  It was really an immersive experience and Disney has done a superb job at making you truly feel like you’ve been transported into the Star Wars Universe...

I’ll be anxious to hear the experiences of everyone else that gets to visit this new park in the coming weeks and months.  While I was lucky enough to get in for free thanks to my brother, getting a chance to see it would definitely be worth the Disneyland ticket price 8)
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2019, 09:33 PM »
Cool you got in to see it man and thanks for sharing that with us.  I knew you lived out that way so that’s awesome your brother was able to get you in early.  I’ve heard he food lines so far have made the ride lines look small haha.  Go figure right?

I’m hoping to someday get to go to the Disney world resort attached to the park and do the immersive experience they’re planning there.  I guess it’s like $250 a night per person though but I’d like to do it before I croak anyway haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2019, 04:19 PM »
Article and clip on CNN was pretty cool.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2019, 12:50 PM »
If you haven't gone to Disneyland yet to see Galaxy's Edge now is a great time. You no longer need to make a reservation to enter the land before coming to the park. The park has very low crowds thanks the virtual queuing system they setup to enter the land. Once in the park, you choose a four hour window and they fast pass you into the new land. The Falcon ride is averaging about 45 minutes and has very little down time. The rest of the park is remarkably uncrowded. This is in part thanks to the internet trolls keeping people away and the fantastic crowd management system Disney has set in place.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #113 on: July 7, 2019, 01:33 PM »
I have a couple of questions for the Disneyland regulars:

What are the crowds like in mid-October?  We’ve planned a trip for that time (we’ll be in DL in the middle of the week) and I’m curious to how busy it will be.

Can you go into the static display of the Millenuim Falcon?  I thought I saw a video online of people touring inside the Falcon, but I saw another video of someone touring Galaxy’s Edge and it looked fenced off.  I’m also trying to plan things for us to do while we’re waiting to build our lightsabers!  (I’m going to be so broke after this trip!)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 7, 2019, 07:15 PM »
There are actually a good number of Disney fan forums that have tips about how to visit the parks, both in California and Florida.  I know when we looked at going to Disney World we found that two of the months where the crowds were not as bad were in November and April.  We opted for early November and it was pretty manageable.  But after Thanksgiving through New Year's is pretty crazy.  Disney has their own travel agents who can help because the whole process can easily seem overwhelming.

From what I've read about Galaxy's Edge?  The Millennium Falcon is a HUGE draw.  The vehicle as we've seen it in the photos and video is not part of the ride, but at the entrance to the lines for the ride.  You make your way through what looks like the Falcon's interior before you get to the cockpit, and the main hold with the Dejarik table and the engineering station are a waiting area before you get into the cockpit.  There are also some indications that there might be several cockpits (each of which holds 6 people per ride).

I've also read that Disneyland is limiting people to about 4 hours in Galaxy's Edge.  Make sure you get a reservation in Oga's Cantina ahead of time.  And save the Falcon for the end of your 4 hours so that you don't spend all of your time on line.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2019, 09:01 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 7, 2019, 09:52 PM »
Thanks Nick....from what I've read the need for reservations is only for a limited time and will be done by the time we go.  I'm hoping that the Rise of the Resistance ride is open by then...that looks like fun too.

Not sure what we're doing about food yet.  Both my wife and oldest son have very limited diets.  Luckily, Disney is very good at working with people with food sensitivities and even allow you to bring your own food.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2019, 11:34 AM »
Disney has never enforced the 4 hour thing since GE opened. No reservations are needed. Disneyland is having a really slow summer. The park crowds are extremely light right now. Wait times on the Falcon Target Run are around a half hour. This is pretty amazing since the resort in general should be packed for the summer but it's not. In fact, Galaxy's Edge is almost a ghost town for most of the day.

Tip. If you go, leave GE for the afternoon or evening. Everyone goes there in the morning. The place is dead in the evening. The only place that is constantly packed is the new cantina. Disney fans like to get sloshed it seems at the parks.

In fact there are 10-15% discounts on Disneyland Hotel and Grand California Hotel room rates though the end of September.

Basically the Disney trolls are calling Galaxy's Edge a failure since it is open with just one ride and a too small bar. The signature ride doesn't open until next year. They are having extreme technical problems.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2019, 03:20 PM »
It looks like the reasons that Galaxy's Edge is empty is due to the Annual Pass blackout dates until sometime in August, the price hikes Disney has put in place for passes, The Rise of the Resistance Ride not being online yet (I'm particularly bummed about this one because it's not coming online in DL until January and we have a trip planned for mid-October), and that Disneyland is more of a regional park compared to Disney World.

I'm guessing that Disney World's opening will be more crowded, especially in December when The Rise of the Resistance attraction opens.

I'm just hoping that all the sold out merch (kyber crystals, droid backpacks, dejarik boards, etc) are restockec in Disneyland by October....I plan on spending a small fortune there!  :D

One thing I see as a possibly fatal flaw in Galaxy's Edge is that, due to the immersive nature of the land, the timeline is set between TLJ and TROS.  With TROS being released in December, the land becomes obsolete in December....before the Rise of the Resistance is even open in both parks!  I'm sure someone at Disney has thought about this and there's a plan to deal with this....I'm just curious as to what it is.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 03:53 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2019, 10:53 PM »
I’m so excited to go to the wdw one someday and stay at the park for the whole shebang.  I’m kind of treating it as a bucket list thing that I will likely only ever do one time and enjoy it as much as I can while I am there.  It has looked like so much fun already.  I just can’t kmagine living there and going all the time though, haha.  I wonder if that would diminish it some for you?

Working there seems like it would be kind of cool, ****** unlivable pay aside of course.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2019, 11:14 AM »
I lived in Orlando for three and a half years when I was a student at UCF.  I went to Epcot twice in that time...both times were when family were visiting.

Of course, I did not have a car at the time either.   :)
This is the way.

I have spoken.