Author Topic: Wow!  (Read 10107 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Wow!
« on: January 29, 2015, 05:13 PM »
Vintage Palitoy carded Boba Fett fetches $27,000 at auction!

I have to admit, I don't think I ever saw a carded Boba Fett as a kid...we all got ours through the mail-a-way!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
Re: Wow!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 06:21 PM »
Every carded Vintage figure just went up 25%. Things like this in the news just makes regular people think we are crazy freaks and think the faded yellow Luke farmboy in the attic is worth $$$$$.
He's no good to me open

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 07:44 AM »
Vintage Palitoy carded Boba Fett fetches $27,000 at auction!

I have to admit, I don't think I ever saw a carded Boba Fett as a kid...we all got ours through the mail-a-way!

PLUS the guy had to pay the auction house 20% commission.  Wow indeed.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 08:09 PM »
I have never seen pictures of the 12" Lili Ledy R2D2 until today. That's awesome. Looks like Lili Ledy beat Gentle Giant to the Jumbo versions of Kenner 4" figs by 35 years. The one on eBay coming up on $200 already so I'm out but.........
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 01:45 AM »
I'll say the same thing I always say... The only difference between that $27,000 Fett and a $35 Fett is a deteriorating layer of 30 year old glue.

Collecting carded, especially at the high end simply doesn't make sense to me.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 01:04 AM »
Meh - to each their own.  I love the look of my carded vintage.

From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 09:04 AM »
Definitely a thing of beauty there. It's interesting you kept the price stickers on them.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 12:55 PM »
What goes in the empty spot that must haunt your dreams?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 03:14 PM »
I'm not saying vintage carded isn't gorgeous, or fun, or whatever... I'm just saying it has a shelf-life and I wouldn't be willing to shell out tens of thousands of dollars for something that eventually, one way or the other, is going to pop open and lose almost all of its value.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 06:04 PM »
Besides think how lonely each of those toys are. They never got the chance to play with or be loved by a child. They never got to have wars in the backyard dirt. They never got chewed on by the dog. They never lost their weapon to the vacuum. They had to watch as all of their friends were purchased and no one wanted them. There is nothing worst than an unloved toy.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 02:07 PM »
That's actually an older photo.  Here's a more recent shot.  I think I was holding the slot open for an alternate version of Endor Han (one with printed lapels and one without) or a Blue Lightsaber variation of Jedi Luke.  I think I filled in a brown haired farm boy Luke and shuffled everything down at some point. 

I hear what you're saying Rob, but it's totally worth the price for me.  It's an entertainment value and experience of having them preserved just the way I remember them from my childhood.  Using your logic, I'd never buy a new car or house, never pay for cable TV or go out to a movie, etc.  Lots of things in life have diminishing value, and while they will probably fall apart someday I haven't seen any evidence of that yet.  These things are 30+ years old now and the packages haven't deteriorated at all since they've been in my possession.  It helps that I keep them in a cool, dry basement with LED lights and acrylic protectors.  Easily my favorite part of the collection.  Maybe I'd view it differently if I thought of them as an investment, but that's just a potential side benefit for me.

Phrub - I don't know what you mean.  These bad boys are the elite.  They never had the sheer terror of getting smacked on the floor, being used as an animal chew toy, or being shot at with bee bees.  They are surrounded by friends on all sides and have an awesome view of my entire collection, unlike loose figures that get boxed away in some dark closet.  These guys are always the first to receive praise when I bring someone new into the room.  They also have the peace of mind in knowing that they'll never be garage sale fodder.  As for the price stickers, I tried peeling a few off in my early days, but found its not worth the risk of a tear, residue, or even discoloration.  Over time I've found I really like seeing the old tags on there anyway. 

And that's not to say I don't liberate the rest of my vintage toys.  Freedom reigns in my SW room...

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 02:25 PM »
Looks even better than the last time I saw it in person!! Nice Justin!!

Though it gives my vintage collection some pretty bad penis envy.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 02:46 PM »
Thanks!  I redid the display case since you were there last to fit in the Euro-Droid Factory base.  It was like solving a puzzle to get one more thing in there, but I like the way it finally worked out.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 04:51 PM »
You've got some real gems there that even I don't have. I'll have to use your pictures as reference. Definitely a vintage collection worth working towards.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 07:10 AM »
Wow, you've got some beautiful displays.  Just amazing!