Author Topic: Storing your Loose Figs  (Read 10969 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Storing your Loose Figs
« Reply #15 on: February 7, 2015, 12:11 AM »
Storing stuff for along time & not displaying them is very tuff. I can see that to a person that does not have the room to do so. Many collectors do not have that space & could be a time to slow down a tad. See the space you have & set things up to the best you can & what you can afford. Some stuff in my collection in jammed on shelving & needs more space for them to breath is a displayable manner. Others are just fine in cabinets & such. 

Yes, enjoy what you collect but not let them be stored away for periods of a long time unless you are hopefully saving the $$$ for a new place that is bigger so you can display them properly. I just don't want people to become a collecting hoarder & have them tucked away were they can not be appreciated by the collector & others that would like to see them.

I see where you are coming from Nick & guess my choice of words were a tad wrong for which I apologize for.   :-[

Offline digktialx

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 7, 2015, 12:37 AM »
Much anger in you…in all seriousness though we welcome the comments-discussion….we should all be talking more about this because we ALL love action figures! 

Here are a few points we wanted to put out there:

You mentioned cost effective storage options and that is great, but we were looking for something more suited to our own personal collections and collector habits and we strongly believe that other collectors would feel the same way.

We realize that its not one size fits all when it comes to the collector genre.  Some are openers others are AFA graders. Everyone has a way that they prefer to collect. Rupe and I prefer to rotate out our figure and vehicle collections much like a store display to keep our guests interested every time they visit.

(Shameless Plug) Speaking of size, did we mention we are planning to make trays for the 6 inch black series…lol

It’s true that you don’t know us and that may raise suspicion but that is why we are here to get to know the community. We want to help serve the collecting community because we are collectors ourselves and saw a complete lack of solutions for people with quality loose collections.

Our goal was to get as close as we could to just over a buck per figure in storage….which compares very favorably with those plastic coffin containers in terms of price and we feel offers a lot more.  When you consider that even the cheapest loose figures in excellent condition can run upwards of 10 bucks and more with their accessories, you can see how we see that a buck or so to protect our plastic joy was pretty reasonable.  Our model is based on comic book storage essentials.

Kickstarter is about trying to create a brand new start up and our goal from day one is to become an active member of the toy collecting community.  It takes a lot of capital to get an operation off the ground and Rupe and I have put in a huge amount of time and capital investment to get things up and running.

Its too bad about what happened with that other project but not everyone on Kickstarter are agents of scum and villainy ;-)  It is also why we spent several months developing this prior to putting the project on Kickstarter.

Anyhow, we are just happy you guys have given us feedback and for those who choose to support us we offer a hardy thanks. We think collecting is a blast and we really love how our childhood love has evolved into a true hobby!

-dx (Jason)
« Last Edit: February 7, 2015, 12:41 AM by digktialx »
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ToyGear
Twitter: @foamtrays

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #17 on: February 7, 2015, 06:26 PM »
My figures are stored/displayed in curio cabinets/shelving units. Collections are to be displayed not stored away unless you are moving. If you are going to store figures & what not for a long long time then you should not be collecting... My figures are on figure bases in real cabinets & can be seen 24/7 not $55. plus to hide them away to rot IMHO!

Thanks for letting me know I shouldn't be collecting.

Just drop it all over at my place then.  :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: February 9, 2015, 01:00 AM »
No slap at you was intended with the comment regarding reservations about Kickstarter...  It was more a slap at the notion of Kickstarter itself, I guess.  Recently a company started up to make displays for Star Wars figures, I believe the goal was to afford a 3D printer (?) to print out their designs for customers.  People supported it, and it also received press on some sites, including reviews.

It seems guys who reviewed it for sites perhaps received the 3D printed product from the company, but since then they've basically backed out on 3D printing and are attempting now molding/casting a 3D printed model.

It showed the flaws in Kickstarter, but also it showed the flaws in people without backgrounds in what they're wanting to do attempting it.  They had no concept, I'm assuming, of the time 3D prints take to form.  I'm also assuming they weren't aware that prints are not really perfect and require prep afterwards for smooth surfaces, etc.

Anyway, long story short, a LOT of people who supported their campaign from the get-go are NOT getting their product as they thought, and every month new statements are made but no product is produced.  I'd be reluctant, to say the least, to support any Kickstarter campaign due to this.  All it takes is essentially one ill-prepared hiccup to turn this garage effort into a nightmare for not only the people who supported it, but the people behind it even.

I have friends in 3-D printing, and also friends with semi-professional molding/casting businesses.  Unless you have the business up and running smoothly, with a track record, I just am not a fan of supporting these start-up campaigns.  I like to think the best of anyone, but it's just something I always see as risky to back.

With 4 Horsemen and their campaign to make action figures, I feel there was precedent with the people running it.  With people just off the street looking to start things up that are a niche within a niche within a hobby, I don't know.  Good luck to you with whatever you want to accomplish though.

Personally, I tend to side with DSJ's general point about displaying...  It's tough, and everything I own is in a box right now while I build my collection room, which is expensive and time-consuming for sure.  So all my junk's in quite a few boxes and plano cases...  but the end goal of displaying it is always there, and will be achieved.  And on a rotational basis (which is somewhat how my display is going to work as well), I would still focus on cost then...  Over $1/figure just doesn't cut it for me.

I would look at storage as something akin to stands.  I'd be fine sinking $ into displays...  I am doing that, actually.  But I'd be wanting bottom dollar storage, just as I'd want action figure stands to chime in at the cheapest price possible.  Figures are too much money to sink too much more into how I put them into a box...  if that makes sense.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline digktialx

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 9, 2015, 03:50 PM »
Fair enough…BTW that project, from what we have looked up, was never on Kickstarter, it was on indiegogo which has very different rules.  Kickstarter is quite a bit more stringent these days with allowing projects.

-dx

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: February 9, 2015, 06:27 PM »
Apologies for confusing the two, I'm not terribly familiar with either though...  I'll have to read up on the rules for the two different organizations.  I just know I'd be more inclined to support something that's established than isn't though.  I've got friends who did their own "garage" companies like that, and they've made them work, but they're also aiming lower and knew the businesses they were cutting into already, and the manufacturing process(es) they were using, etc.  That always helps out for success.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline digktialx

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 4, 2015, 02:39 PM »
Hey all, we’ve just released a new video showing some of our collection and our trays in action. I've also attached a picture.  Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc6vb7q8PLs

Feel free to spread the word about our Action Figure Trays.
Protect, Store, Organize, and Display - For the Love of Your Action Figures!

Thank you,

-dx (Jason)
« Last Edit: March 4, 2015, 04:37 PM by digktialx »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 2, 2015, 11:08 AM »
Right now, mine are stored in acid free archival bags until I can find or build a better cabinet display.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."