Author Topic: Storing your Loose Figs  (Read 10919 times)

Offline digktialx

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Storing your Loose Figs
« on: January 31, 2015, 03:56 PM »
Hi, I was wondering what methods folks have come up with for storing their figures.

Thank you,

-dx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ToyGear
Twitter: @foamtrays

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Storing your Loose Figs
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Hi, I was wondering what methods folks have come up with for storing their figures.

Thank you,

-dx

I am using glass display cabinets.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: February 1, 2015, 01:26 AM »
I have a display case in my collection room, otherwise they are stored in one of two carrying cases provided by Kenner.  One looks like Darth Vader while the other looks like C-3PO.   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #3 on: February 1, 2015, 10:59 PM »
You  can store them at my place   ::)
He's no good to me open

Offline digktialx

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 4, 2015, 12:51 AM »
I find IKEA to have a really great collection of shelves if you want to display them. I was inquiring about storing them out of the way. The reason I ask is that I've started a project on Kickstarter and I was just interested in feedback.

We're looking for some support if your looking for a different way to store your collection please check out our Kickstarter project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/492634203/action-figure-foam-trays-and-cases-for-toy-collect

I hope its ok if we post this link to help get people thinking about storage.

Thank you,

-dx

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2015, 09:05 AM »
For years they were in my vintage Star Wars and Darth Vader cases. Now they reside in my Ikea display case.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 5, 2015, 10:00 AM »
My vintage Dagobah and Death Star playsets seem to indicate that foam does not age well. It also bonds to plastic and is heat sensitive. I would be reluctant to put that stuff anywhere near my figures, but maybe that's just me.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline digktialx

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 5, 2015, 04:34 PM »
My vintage Dagobah and Death Star playsets seem to indicate that foam does not age well. It also bonds to plastic and is heat sensitive. I would be reluctant to put that stuff anywhere near my figures, but maybe that's just me.

Hey there...we hear ya and thanks for the comment, but you have to keep in mind that foam types are as varied as plastic types...near 40 year old throw away toy sponge foam is nowhere near the type of foam we are talking about...modern specialized foam is a completely different bantha ;-) ... especially foam designed specifically to house sensitive items in varied climates.

-dx

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2015, 11:46 PM »
I feel like I'm part of an ad.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2015, 10:57 AM »
$55 to store 48 figures?  Sounds like a neat idea, but too expensive for me to consider...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2015, 10:59 AM »
$55 to store 48 figures?  Sounds like a neat idea, but too expensive for me to consider...

+1  Cool look, but that price needs to be chopped in half, then chopped in half again.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline digktialx

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2015, 02:04 PM »
I feel like I'm part of an ad.

LOL Think of it as more of a crusade to help action figures everywhere ;-)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2015, 06:04 PM »
I'm all for new ideas but I've managed storage pretty cheaply...  This would be quite an added expense.  I am more for displaying anyway though and ultimately put my $ into display options like backgrounds and such.

The last kickstarter thing I saw for something along those lines is now apparently stiffing supporters too despite sites supporting them...  I now view kickstarter for anything with a bit of suspicion.  I'd be hard pressed to support much that way anyhow.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2015, 06:30 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2015, 11:08 PM »
My figures are stored/displayed in curio cabinets/shelving units. Collections are to be displayed not stored away unless you are moving. If you are going to store figures & what not for a long long time then you should not be collecting... My figures are on figure bases in real cabinets & can be seen 24/7 not $55. plus to hide them away to rot IMHO!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 6, 2015, 11:37 PM »
My figures are stored/displayed in curio cabinets/shelving units. Collections are to be displayed not stored away unless you are moving. If you are going to store figures & what not for a long long time then you should not be collecting... My figures are on figure bases in real cabinets & can be seen 24/7 not $55. plus to hide them away to rot IMHO!

Thanks for letting me know I shouldn't be collecting. I'm glad you are here to school us all. I'll throw all my stuff out tomorrow. Again thank you very much. Wish I hadn't wasted the last 20 years. Where were you then?

I'd love to display my stuff more than I currently can and am honestly thinking of becoming an "opener" so I can, but don't need people telling me I shouldn't collect because I store a lot of my stuff. That's a really d bag thing to say to a lot of us collectors out there IMHO!!

Seriously this line really pisses me off "If you are going to store figures & what not for a long long time then you should not be collecting..."....... Ok time to move on I guess and go back to enjoying my collection as much as I always have despite it's non 24/7 displayability.

Nope, not quite done. I've always thought the most obnoxious thing is when someone else tells you how to enjoy collecting something. The whole idea behind collecting something is the enjoyment YOU get out of YOUR collection. However YOU choose to do it. Would have though another collector would get that.

Man this got me riled up good.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2015, 11:52 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within