Author Topic: Spider-Man Joins the Marvel Movie Universe  (Read 49380 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Spider-Man Joins the Marvel Movie Universe
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 04:27 PM »
I would also say the chances of a non Peter Parker Spiderman are at least 50/50.

You're crazy.  The whole world knows Peter Parker as Spider-Man.  Peter Parker movies have made Sony $4 billion.  The circulation of the Miles Morales Spider-Man books is 30,000 (77th highest of January).  I see the chances of a non-Parker Spidey somewhere south of 1%.

I hope you're right, but I think the odds are a little higher than 1%. 

1.) In the comic world today we have a black Captain America and a female Thor. 
2.) On the cinematic side we have a black Electro in Amazing Spiderman and a black Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four. 
3.) There are currently no blacks in the Avengers lineup (unless you count Fury I guess). 
4.) The current cinematic Avengers map a lot more closely to the Ultimates universe where Miles is Spidey

I'm with Team Parker, but the conditions are certainly ripe to introduce Miles vs. Pete.

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 05:15 PM »
I think many liked the writing of Soidey's personality in the new films more than they actually like Garfield if they are honest. ASM2 was a mess, but they did  capture the "spirit" of Spidey better than the (admittedly better) McGuire films did.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 06:54 AM »
I would also say the chances of a non Peter Parker Spiderman are at least 50/50.

You're crazy.  The whole world knows Peter Parker as Spider-Man.  Peter Parker movies have made Sony $4 billion.  The circulation of the Miles Morales Spider-Man books is 30,000 (77th highest of January).  I see the chances of a non-Parker Spidey somewhere south of 1%.

Sony made the Human Torch African American.  Casting non-white actors is the hip thing to do in Hollywood right now.  Even though they are doing an Antman movie, Hank Pym isn't going to be Antman and he isn't the creator of Ultron.  A lot of what has been done in Marvel cinema has been from the ultimate universe.  Peter Parker has had five movies in the past 13 years with a reboot just three years ago.  This next reboot will only be five years after the last one.  I would think casting a Hispanic actor would be quite tempting.  I'm not saying it would be the right move, but I bet they are kicking it around at Sony and Disney.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 08:45 AM »
Man, I don't know.  Spidey is the 800-pound gorilla of the Marvel Universe.  It'd be like DC casting a black actor to play Clark Kent.  And there is a black Superman in the comics right now - also an alternate universe guy.  I don't think anybody would use that as evidence that they might cast a black guy to play the next iteration of Supes.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 09:07 AM »
I'm not saying it would be the right way to go, but I bet it is definitely being discussed.  I am surprised that Sony is going ahead with their Sinister Six idea.  If F4 bombs, I wonder if Sony is going to look at selling the rights back to Marvel.  I think they are only holding on to Spiderman because they can make good money on it by loaning it out.  I don't think Sony has what it takes to make a good superhero movie at this point.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 09:30 AM »
In the hacked emails Amy Pascal specifically mentions Peter Parker, not Miles Morales.  That and the success of the previous Spiderman films with Peter Parker lead you to believe that Peter will be Spiderman in this crossover into the MCU.

As far as Sony selling Spiderman back to Disney/Marvel?  I don't see it happening.  They've seen what a cash cow the MCU has been for Disney, and it looks like they're far more interested in licensing Spiderman back to Marvel studios.  And I think if Fox were presented with a similar option they might consider it as well.  Fox still owns the rights to the FF and X-Men.  But if Fox sees that Sony's partnership with Marvel is profitable?  Then they might consider a similar licensing deal.  The Marvel Cinematic Universe has been really successful, and if the studios that bought other characters can cash in on that success too, I think they might be enticed to get into business with Disney/Marvel Studios.

Coincidentally, when all of this Spiderman news was coming out I saw an article on Business Insider that shows which studio has the film rights to certain Marvel comics characters.  The Submariner is owned by Universal, while Fox has X-Men, the FF and some related characters like Wolverine, Cable, Deadpool and the Silver Surfer.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:54 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 11:17 AM »
I had thought Sony had F4, so ignore my comment about selling to Marvel.  Fox may want to sell F4 since the reboot is going to bomb.  However, I believe the rights to the Skrulls are attached to F4 as well as Galactus.  I think those rights are more valuable the F4 itself.

Sony had wanted to set up their own universe around Spiderman.  If they are rebooting Spiderman again, I would have to think their Sinister Six plans have had to change.  I don't see them keeping any of the actors from The Amazing Spiderman 2 if they go ahead with the project.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 11:44 AM »
We won't see Miles Morales but they could absolutely cast an African-American as Peter Parker. Peter has been white obviously in th comics but this is a movie, and not the last iteration we will see, so there's room for interpretation. I think an outstanding choice for Parker should they go his way would be John Boyega. Anyone who's seen him in Attack The Block knows to be excited for TFA and should be for the idea of him as Spider-Man. When some talk about not wanting him to be any thing other than he has been, they're concerned with losing connection to a character they identify strongly with; on the flip side of that, there are oceans of kids out there who have no connection to the character and frankly very few characters in comics and now TV and movies. Disney and Marvel are in business to make money. Here's an opportunity to bring a broader audience to the character, if they so choose.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 01:31 PM »
I've seen the "short list" posted a number of places - the actors they're reportedly considering.  They're all white.  The two main ones are Percy Jackson and the lead from Maze Runner.

If I had any say, I'd have them consider Leo Howard.  He's on Disney's Kickin' It (which my younger daughter loves).  He's legit young (17).  He's a martial artist. And he's got great charisma.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 05:05 AM »

If I had any say, I'd have them consider Leo Howard.  He's on Disney's Kickin' It (which my younger daughter loves).  He's legit young (17).  He's a martial artist. And he's got great charisma.

Ha! Never thought I'd see a "Kickin' it" reference here.  I could see him as a good fit though - I like the outside the box thinking.

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 06:27 PM »
i don't understand why take a well known character that has a comic 'history' and change them, why not just introduce a new character. Seems like no creativity there. If what we're left with is changing up the male to female or 1 race to another and thats the level of creativity we've hit then its sad day.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 11:15 PM »
The press releases on this all mention Peter Parker so the Morales idea is off the table.

I think one of the things that Feige brings is the experience in adapting these characters for the screen in such a way that "respects" the source material (for lack of a better term).  I think these studio hacks get involved and start screwing around with things for no other reason than because they can. KF takes the source and adapts it into the framework they have established.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 12:42 PM »
Tom Holland is Spider-Man

Not familiar with any of his work.  Hopefully he has the goods.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 12:54 PM »
Tom Holland is Spider-Man

Not familiar with any of his work.  Hopefully he has the goods.

That's a poorly written article in that they don't really answer whether Holland will portray Spidey in the Captain America movie or just in his solo reboots.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today