Author Topic: Spider-Man Joins the Marvel Movie Universe  (Read 49382 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Spider-Man Joins the Marvel Movie Universe
« Reply #60 on: July 6, 2017, 01:04 PM »
Reviews are coming in and they are all really positive, I'm itching to talk about this more will wait until you all of have seen it :)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #61 on: July 6, 2017, 01:07 PM »
I already have my tickets for Saturday afternoon.  And thanks to the local theater renovations, we have luxury seats and reserved seating!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 7, 2017, 12:53 AM »
Saw it tonight and really enjoyed it! I'd rank it tied for 2nd best Spidey movie with Raimi 2002, behind SM2 2004. Loved how they tied Vulture into the cleanup of the Chitari from the end of The Avengers, and the twist with Liz's parents was great and caught me completely off guard.

Couldn't help but notice the POTF2 Stormtrooper and POTJ Porkins figures scattered among Peter's vintage SW collection. What, Disney wasn't able to find any modern SW figures at the nearest Walmarts and Targets?  ;D
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 7, 2017, 10:14 AM »
I saw it last night and for me, it's easily tied with the 2004 SM2 movie - which I have long felt was the best Spider-man movie released so far.

Very cool to see Marvel Studios work in the Vulture so well, especially considering if rumors are true - it was Sam Raimi's desire to have Vulture as the main villain of a Tobey McGuire Spider-man 4 - and apparently Sony execs didn't like the villain choice and where Raimi was going so that was a major factor in Sony deciding it was time to reboot the franchise.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #64 on: July 8, 2017, 08:41 PM »
Really enjoyed SM:H!  It was just a fun, enjoyable film.  Keaton was fantastic.  Loved the after-credit scene.  Also loved how they incorporated Damage Control - really had fun with that series back when I was a teen.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #65 on: July 9, 2017, 06:38 PM »
We saw it yesterday and I think it's one of the best Spider-Man movies, if not THE best!  I finally feel like they got Peter Parker right.  A child genius who ends up with this incredible super power!

I also thought Keaton as Vulture was really well done, as well as the nod to Scorpion and Shocker!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2017, 10:18 PM »
I really liked Homecoming.  I think it was the best portrayal of Parker to date.

Is the whole Stark-automatic-driving-vehicles going to be a plot thing sometime?  In CA:CW, they make a point to show that Stark's chopper was pilot-less. They also did this with the driverless limo and pilotless plane. 

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Homecoming was terrible. How could they make a Spider-Man movie so whimsical? And there wasn't a single funeral scene! Vulture was like a thief! Where's the massive city or global scale destruction? And Peter Parker looks like some puke teen kid, not a guy pushing 30!

Yeah, it was fun, better than I expected. I skipped the Garfield movies at the theater...and those last two Spider-man movies, too.  :P

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2017, 08:48 AM »
Yeah, it was fun, better than I expected. I skipped the Garfield movies at the theater...and those last two Spider-man movies, too.  :P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2017, 06:20 PM »
+1 for Bill
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2017, 05:37 PM »
Finally got around to seeing this over the weekend and it did not disappoint. Hands down the best Spiderman ever and a great addition to the overall Marvel cinematic universe.  Holland's quirky Spiderman was full of energy and optimism - a refreshing change from darker and sadder incarnations.  I like how they skipped over the origin for a change (didn't need to be redone yet again), and giving him a buddy to share the secret with was another refreshing change.  I initially thought Vulture would be a lame villain, but he was great too - especially with the ties back to the Avengers and alien tech.  I love how they're using that explain and include a plethora of C-level baddies.  Shocker was obvious, but some great nods to other potential characters like Scorpion and Prowler, and even a possible tie to a Miles Morales Spidey down the road.  The level of Stark inclusion was just right - I was worried he would be too involved, but I thought it worked out really well.  Some nice plot turns that I did not see coming and that ending was awesome.  They even brought back Pepper for a cameo!  Even the very last extra scene after the credits was a gas.  Looking forward to seeing this one again and more Spidey goodness in future movies. 

My only complaint is still Zendaya's Mary Jane.  Not a fan of her acting in general, but casting her as a nerdy recluse instead of a popular hottie is a total mystery to me.  She didn't serve any real purpose throughout the movie - maybe they left something more meaningful on the cutting room floor.  I think it would have been better to just leave her out of the movie.  Similar thoughts about the redesign of Flash Thompson, though he had more reason to be there as an ongoing antagonist/rival.  Still, pretty rare to find an overconfident mathlete ladies man who DJs at parties.   ::)  Forgivable choices overall.

One question for those that have seen it - (spoiler) - Did we actually "see" Stark and Pepper get engaged off scene?  I couldn't tell if that was a meaningful off camera plot point or just a simple ruse for the reporters that we won't hear about again. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2017, 08:20 AM »
I thought Flash was pretty fantastic.  Apparently in 2017, high school kids legitimately aren't bullied by jocks anymore.  They're bullied by privileged, rich, incompetent douchebags.  And this Flash fit that role perfectly.  So it was a nice update, I thought.  And casting him non-white was kinda refreshing (how many times have we seen the white alpha-male cast as the villain?).

I'd say Zendaya is also a reflection of modern times.  The girl comic book nerds dream about isn't the super-hot cheerleader.  It's the brainy, competent fellow-geek.  I expect MJ will "bloom" over the course of the next film to be suitably attractive along the lines of Hermione.  But for this film she couldn't overshadow Pete's main crush (also a brainy geek, but way hotter).

I think the engagement was intentionally left open to interpretation.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2017, 09:37 PM »
How many of you wanted to buy a Lego Death Star after watching?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2017, 07:57 AM »
How many of you wanted to buy a Lego Death Star after watching?

My son has one, but we both felt queasy after watching it get smashed.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2017, 09:03 PM »
I read somewhere that they ended up destroying 7 or 8 of those Death Stars during filming. That's a lot of cash at $500 each!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks