Author Topic: San Diego Comic-Con 2015  (Read 44728 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Comic-Con 2015
« Reply #15 on: July 8, 2015, 10:31 AM »
I'm not feeling terribly optimistic at the moment.  But I think it's a wait and see thing right now.  I'm hopeful, but the trend we've seen in Saga Legends and the REBELS line has been telling. 

Still, looking back the EPISODE I line, the figures in that line did not have a lot of articulation.  Perhaps 6 to 8 POA at best.  That was a BIG line.  And I think that the current crop of 5 POA figures have far superior sculpts to the EPISODE I line.  I think I've been pretty clear that I'm not a fan of 5 POA.  At the very least I'd like to see 8 POA if possible, but every point of articulation that's added means increased costs.  And we all know that will lead to costs getting passed onto the consumer.

Here is something that I suspect we may see.  A less articulated line of basic figures for TFA.  And down the line, perhaps in 2017 (40th anniversary of ANH), we may see the return of The Vintage Collection and some premium level of articulation.  Hasbro has talked about shelving TVC with the ultimate plan of bringing it back later.  And 2017 would give Hasbro and LFL licensing some time to evaluated the profitability of the action figure line in the new movie era, and if there's enough sales volume to support a collector focused figure line in that 3.75" scale.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: July 8, 2015, 10:58 AM »
At the very least I'd like to see 8 POA if possible, but every point of articulation that's added means increased costs.  And we all know that will lead to costs getting passed onto the consumer.

The Target DPCI that leaked earlier this summer (087-06-3658) put the line at $8.  Hopefully that price increase means a 8-9 POA line and not a price-grab on a 5POA line.

If the figures are nice and moderately articulated at that 8-9 POA level (neck, shoulders, elbows, hips, knees) for $8, that may be a nice compromise between $6 figures and $13 figures.

But yeah, the hope of a 3.75" collector/SA basic figure line has been dying a little each day since Toy Fair.  Just not sustainable at the current $13 point.  Bringing it back as a VOTC type sub-line or some sort of expensive retailer exclusive is probably the future for "collector" level super-articulated figures.   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 8, 2015, 08:56 PM »
Is Preview Night tomorrow night or tonight?

I have seen a few early galleries up, but maybe those are unofficial...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: July 8, 2015, 10:39 PM »
Preview night is tonight (now).  I've seen a lot of early pics on twitter/facebook.  The Hasbro booth looks pretty much like the Celebration booth so far - nothing new. 

One whole Force Awakens type section though with "new figure here Friday at 1:30pm" so they must be breaking out new stuff after the panel...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: July 8, 2015, 10:55 PM »
Yup, not a lot to look at at the moment.  most interesting thing I saw was a 1/6 scale TIE Fighter Hot Toys had up but I don't believe it's a product they're making?  I thought it was just a thing, for people to look at.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 8, 2015, 11:07 PM »
I saw the loose Rebels Vader and Ahsoka and they both looked terrific as expected. I could swear the little card says "$14.99" though, which would be ludicrous for this line.

I also saw they had a note hyping a new Rebels figure reveal on Friday. Lando maybe?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 9, 2015, 08:45 AM »
If it's not too much trouble, would you guys consider throwing up a McFarlane Toys and Neca gallery also? They have some amazing toys on display out there too!

I would like to hear more about the kerfuffle at the Hasbro Booth last night too. I read some comments that it was getting ugly in line...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 9, 2015, 09:48 AM »
I saw the loose Rebels Vader and Ahsoka and they both looked terrific as expected. I could swear the little card says "$14.99" though, which would be ludicrous for this line.

Yeah.  It looks like the price on those Mission Series 2-packs is going up.  I have to wonder if Hasbro is going to add any more articulation in this line.  But that price jump from $9.99 to $14.99 isn't exactly welcome.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: July 9, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Based on the little tags on the displays, it looks like the Fall 2015 3.75" main line will be Star Wars Universe or something like that.   Much easier to say/type than "Star Wars Rebels Saga Legends", I guess. :P

I would like to hear more about the kerfuffle at the Hasbro Booth last night too. I read some comments that it was getting ugly in line...

SDCC ’15: Star Wars Fever Causes Chaos At Hasbro Booth

It looks like the price on those Mission Series 2-packs is going up.  I have to wonder if Hasbro is going to add any more articulation in this line.  But that price jump from $9.99 to $14.99 isn't exactly welcome.

Well, if the Target DPCI is correct and the 3.75" basic figure line will be $8, you can't really be selling 2-packs right next to those for $10, can you? ;)

Sure looks like $8 for singles, $15 for 2-packs will be the new norm.  As for more articulation, it doesn't really look like the Ahsoka and Vader have any more... but I guess we can still hope other figures will.  :-\

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #24 on: July 9, 2015, 11:33 AM »
I know there's a lot of hysteria around the web right now about what the figures will or won't be, but I think the real story is the price hike. I expected a cash grab for the movie, but the price point on the 5 POA has been it's most attractive feature. The MS series at $10 has been the best deal in toys for its run and by going to $15 becomes much less. Now there may be something more to it (added articulation/pack ins) so we'll see, but I doubt it and if not, that will be a huge factor in the line's success I think.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 9, 2015, 11:49 AM »
If they go to $15 for MS, then the two figures better both be new and interesting.  No more new figure with a repacked Stormtrooper. 

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #26 on: July 9, 2015, 12:01 PM »
I agree. I'd think for that, no repacks (outside of army builders) wouldn't be something you could stomach. I'd rather see a fairly deep line of background characters bundled in with more visible ones in this line anyways. I know most people disagree, but a figure like Mosep Bineed - for me, I don't need him to be super articulated. He will never do anything. Now a stormtrooper or Jedi or Sith Lord, they need some extra articulation. That's counter to a collector based line so I know we'll likely never see obscure characters anywhere other than a premium line, but my two cents.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: July 9, 2015, 12:24 PM »
If they go to $15 for MS, then the two figures better both be new and interesting.  No more new figure with a repacked Stormtrooper.

That's a fair point.  $15 for one figure you want and one you don't need will sting pretty bad, especially if they are still 5POA.

I know most people disagree, but a figure like Mosep Bineed - for me, I don't need him to be super articulated. He will never do anything. Now a stormtrooper or Jedi or Sith Lord, they need some extra articulation. That's counter to a collector based line so I know we'll likely never see obscure characters anywhere other than a premium line, but my two cents.

Salt-shaker Senators/Aliens can be fine at times but you hit on the key there.  Mosep would have probably been fine as a 5-8 POA figure.  But he isn't really a candidate for a kid line... and if you try to stick a 5POA type figure in the $13 Black Series line... well you saw how well the R5 and Yoda figures were received last Fall (hint - not very well).   :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: July 9, 2015, 01:45 PM »
Good points all around. 

I'd be happy actually if articulation went more selective and Hasbro returned the line to 2007 type levels where some figures got a bit, and others not.  I don't have a good feeling about that happening though regardless of the price hikes.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 9, 2015, 02:18 PM »
SDCC ’15: Star Wars Fever Causes Chaos At Hasbro Booth

Holy cow that is nuts. I pray for some little weenie to try punching me in the ribs while standing in line, or try grabbing $100 our of my hand. They would need dental records to identify that ************.