Author Topic: UPDATED PICS! Modular Death Star  (Read 86233 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: Modular Death Star--NEW 3RD LEVEL!!
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2003, 09:44 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Corran, the images are indeed on a circular piece of posterboard connected to a knob that turns. My original idea was to use a push-pin thru the front of the console, just above the screen itself to both hold the wheel together and act as the knob, but during construction I found out the friction was causing the push-pin to become separated from the circular piece every time, it would come loose after a few turns and stop working.

After a bit of tinkering, I came up with an alternate mechanism--there is now a much larger knob connected to the back of the wheel, firmly glued into place. The angled section of the computer fits flush to the angled back corner, and the knob connected to the back of the computer sticks out a hole in the outer wall of the playset. The "pin" that holds the wheel in place (and that you can see in the lower part of this picture: )

is now made from an earring I found at the dollar store that looked vaguely like the controls on the computer. I attatched the other earring to the computer too, to make this one look less funky.

No plans on making the elevators work, though I did figure out a way they could be made to work and retain the ability to come apart level by level (if, say, Hasbro were to devise a real toy based on the design.) For my taste, the tubes were too shallow to try sticking figures in them and making opening doors.

This thing is holding together like a rock--each level simply sits on top of the one below it, but they're so wide it's pretty easy to pick it up by the base and carry it like an enormous birthday cake. The next level should be interesting in that regard, because I'm splitting it down the middle and building it as two dioramas that fit together. The column that will hold the Tractor Beam controls will sit atop the seam, essentially making level four a three-piece construction.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2003, 09:07 AM »
I must say this is one awesome diorama!   :o

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: January 9, 2004, 07:41 PM »
Whoops, looks like I never got around to offering more well deserved praise with your latest level there Bobb!  Just awesome, as expected after the first two levels!  I love the shiny black reflective flooring.  That's too cool!  And it goes without saying (since everyone else has already pointed it out), that the rotating pictures on that Control Room display is just an excellent touch that very few customizers would've or could've pulled off.  Excellent.

I hate looking at that thing though, 'cause I want one so bad!  Not fair!   :P

I'm still hiring you to build me another one when I win the lottery out here.  So please be ready...   ;)

Hurry up with Level 4 though.  I'm growing most anxious!

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2004, 10:31 AM »
Yes, Matt, I was worried your love had turned to hate. Glad to see that is not (entirely) the case. ;D

Level 4 pictures will be up soon--in fact they're already in the pipeline. And level 5 (the top!!) is progressing very well. I missed my goal of the end of the year, but not by much!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2004, 02:20 PM »
Cool deal.  I'll be right here waiting for the Level 4 goodness...

BTW, your newest signature kills me!   ;D

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2004, 05:57 AM »
Here are the level 4 pictures I promised. Once again, thanks to Chris Berry here at JediDefender for hosting these for me!

Up first is Tarkin's Control Room--

In this view, you can see a black tab sticking out of the wall by the row of lights. This is the end of the card that allows the image on the screen to change:

I made two cards, one printed front and back with Alderaan...

and the other with images from the Yavin attack (the last is my favorite--it's the final schematic displayed before the Death Star blew up):

The diorama itself is really small, the most out-of-scale room I've made yet, this time the console got shrunk from five pieces down to two to fit:

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2004, 06:04 AM »
The other side of level four is a simple hallway, like the one where Han and Chewie chase Stormtroopers:

This is the front of the hall, I used the lid from an Eweb's power box for some extra detail on the wall:

To keep it from being too plain (and to add some "playability") I decided to throw in a doorway for Han to run through:

This one closes with the same mechanism as the one on level three, except that it slides in through the side rather than through the top:

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2004, 06:13 AM »
Finally, here's a shot of what the whole thing looks like right now:

You'll notice these two areas seem to blend right into each other. The base for the Tractor Beam Control Tower will sit in the middle to create a wall between the control room and the hallway, but I'm still building it.

Also, this level was different from the previous ones in that there is a split down the back, making these two completely separate dioramas. Once again, the Tower will cover the seam when it's all put together.

Level five will be the top (for now?) and will contail the Tower as well as the doorways for the chasm "swing across" scene--which will have a removable bridge. If you look at these last couple levles, you can see things moving further back in the structure--this will allow the doorways (at the very front of level five) to really open up over a big dropoff. It'll be pretty neat.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: !!LEVEL 4!! of the Modular Death Star
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2004, 08:40 PM »
I need to find one of those little gremlins where the characters jaw drops to the floor!!  
There aren't enough positive words to string to together in one sentence.  This diorama is amazing, just frickin' AMAZING and getting better at each level.  I can't wait to see the grand finale!!
Beth

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2004, 08:58 PM »
Mindbogglingly awesome is about all I can say Bobb.  The attention to detail, and the extra cool touches with the interchangeable screens, sliding doors, etc. is absolutely top notch.  Can't wait to see how it all comes together with level 5 and the Tractor Beam Tower.

And hopefully you'll change your mind later on when we get a few more Imperial Officers, and make another floor containing the Conference Room for the whole gang of baddies to chat.  I assume each floor is still removable from the others, so you could always stick something somewhere in between later on, right?

Keep up the great work.  Can't wait for the grand finale!    8)

- Matt

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2004, 03:35 AM »
I need to find one of those little gremlins where the characters jaw drops to the floor!!

It is written, it is done!  ;)  One for you & one for me!  

Yes, the grand finale! I may need to find something better than the jaw dropping!  ;D

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2004, 10:00 AM »
Great work.  :o

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2004, 08:31 PM »
Excellent!I remeber how I was making my own around the same time as you...I just got in to deep.Maybe later this year I'll actually put those blueprints to work.

Congrats,now just make sure you're rebel figs are far away.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2004, 03:05 AM »
Muftak,

Again the work you're doing on this Death Star is just amazing. The newest level is so vibrant and full of rich details. Just a quick suggestion on the control console in Tarkin's control room. Have you thought about making some of the levers and buttons on the console 3-dimensional? A thin straw cut up here and there could do wonders. Just a thought.

Can't wait to see level 5. Keep up the outstanding job and as always... Happy Customizing!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline stormtripper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2004, 04:53 PM »
WOW..... nice work, those levels are amazing. I attemped to make a couple diorama's and failed. I am both jealous and amazed.