Author Topic: NHL Offseason 2015  (Read 10633 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL Offseason 2015
« Reply #30 on: July 1, 2015, 11:56 PM »
Malkin's less the play maker IMO so I partly think Kessel (and yes I will make Kessel Run jokes, prepare for it) fits in more with Crosby as someone who finishes what he'll set up.

An interesting aside...  As things stand, our third line is Kunitz, Sutter, Dupuis... potentially.  That's not a bad 3rd line.  :-X

That said, I was kind miffed at the trade.  I wanted Kessel, but I didn't want him at a massive expense.  HOnestly I'd rather seen them possibly move a young D-Man (not named Maatta), though Pouliot I think is more valuable than Kapanen ultimately pulled since Kapanen has no NHL time really.

Anyway though, I didn't like us dumping Kapanen AND a 1st Round Pick (potentially?  Still not totally clear on that), and think it should've been a higher round pick unconditional at best.  Our future is on the line at this point.  We lack 1st round picks in multiple years including this one.  Kapanen was one of our ONLY forward prospects aside from Sundqvist.  I dunno.

Anyway, picking up Plotnikov to me is the story people aren't paying attention to, and I think he may be just as important in how he plugs in, and for a lot less $.  He's almost assuredly going to Malkin's #2 line.

Martin didn't sign with the Wild, which disappointed me for you guys out there.  I figured if we couldn't have him I wanted to see him wind up home for you guys. :(

Downie left...  I can't say good riddance as I found him interesting and serviceable.  He put in 20+ goals too iirc?  Not bad, especially on the team we had last year. 

Lost Comeau who they wanted to retain I'm pretty sure, but he flourished with Malkin and I think it was likely to have him go.  He won't perform as well though outside the organization IMO.

So we still have Perron, Hornqvist, now Kessel, Plotnikov, and Kunitz (whose numbers were deceptively bad last year), and Dupuis is cleared to come back and I just hope his health holds and he's in excellent shape by season's start as he was on a tear when the gates opened but then life pulled the rug from under the poor guy.  Plus he's considered one of the best "people" on the team, and in the sports scene in the city in general, and people wanted him here in some capacity one way or another (like Bill Guerrin).  I hope he has some in the tank yet.  Same with Kunitz who had a rough year.

My huge, HUGE fear is the sacrificing of our future for the "now".  Which I get is because of Crosby/Malkin's age.   :-\  It just is scary.

Then again, Saad to Columbus made Columbus instantly the fav in the Metro, and rightly so.

Regarding Kessel's perceived baggage, I hear it's every bit the Toronto Media...  He will never be the team's "face" here obviously so that takes some burden off him.  Malkin's always said he liked the fact he wasn't the first people came over to in the locker room.  Maybe the change of scenery will be good for helping us on the Kessel Run?  :P  That's one.

So yeah to sum that long blab fest up, I'm not so sure it was a GREAT trade.  We gave up a ****load for him, including a major prospect who could be a superstar in the league.  Sacrificing the future for now hasn't paid off yet, so I have reservations.

But I'll dig watching competent players on Sid/Geno's wings for once (since 2008/2009 anyway).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 2, 2015, 12:58 AM »

Regarding Kessel's perceived baggage, I hear it's every bit the Toronto Media... He will never be the team's "face" here obviously so that takes some burden off him.  Malkin's always said he liked the fact he wasn't the first people came over to in the locker room.  Maybe the change of scenery will be good for helping us on the Kessel Run?  :P  That's one.

No question the Toronto media is unbearable.  For that reason alone I suspect Toronto is on as many no-trade lists as Winnipeg.  Perhaps Kessel's baggage is only related to that, but the way that team caved last year after the new year I'm pretty sure that can't be laid at the feet of the media.  And Kessel (along with Kadri and Phaneuf) is a perceived leader.  To go from a playoff spot to drafting 4th overall takes some serious doing.  Now perhaps Toronto told their players to do that, but then why move a sniper like Kessel?  He's a hell of a hockey player and we're about to find out how much was the media. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 2, 2015, 08:15 AM »
I'd like to see them try to get something done for Vermette but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Thankfully I wasn't holding my breath as Vermette goes back to Arizona...  Okay, Saad, Richards, Vermette.  Who's next?
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: July 2, 2015, 11:39 AM »
I think sometimes a guy just gets **** on because people wanna blame someone. Local media lkke to target Malkin because he makes the most.  Some have Targeted Fleury unfairly too and that goes league wide there.  I read how a bunch of media there are laughing at Pens over the deal...  Toronto hasn't done much as an organization for how long though?  Pens just wanted to get better and outside of Toronto I don't think anyone feels they're worse.

I have my fears on the future now an that's it.  I think Kessel has to fit in on this team tho.  And I he has diet/fitness issues, Gary Roberts will straighten his ass out to paraphrase some Slapshot. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77