Author Topic: First Time 12" Collectors with the Sideshow Line?  (Read 4354 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
First Time 12" Collectors with the Sideshow Line?
« on: August 16, 2006, 10:23 AM »
I was wondering how many of you are essentially collecting 12" Star Wars figures for the first time with the Sideshow line?  I personally never really collected or was overly interested in the Hasbro 12" line, although I do have a handful.  I received a couple as gifts, and bought a couple of other ones just because I thought they looked cool.  I couldn't afford much beyond the 3 3/4" figures when I first started collecting, so that might have had something to do with it too, but I just never got into the 12" figures too much.

Then, with the Sideshow announcement, I see how amazing their work is and found myself interested.  Maybe part of it was the hype of everyone's comments on the forums as well, but for a while I considered collecting them all from the start - especially after getting in late on so many other lines.  Then, I thought just the OT ones.  Then I realized that I just couldn't afford it and I'm currently trying to decide what to do from here.  It might just be one here or there, or none at all, we'll see.  Definitely in for Han, Chewie (if/when he gets made), and maybe a couple others (if we ever see a Hammerhead).  Anyways, is anyone else basically a first time 12" collector with the Sideshow line?  Is it just the overall quality that has drawn you in, a shift in collecting interests, or both?

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: First Time 12" Collectors with the Sideshow Line?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 11:35 AM »
I wouldn't say I'm a "first timer" with the Sideshow line given I've picked up one or two of the Hasbro 12" along the way. However I am an avid Sideshow 12' collector and have not, and don't plan on ever, missing a single one that is placed up for preorder.  I guess I could say this is the first 12" line I've committed to collecting though.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 11:37 AM by Bobafett77 »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 01:36 PM »
The only 12" figure I ever bought was the Han and Tauntaun, so I say I'm a first time 12" collector.  I plan on being a completist with this line.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 08:07 PM »
Here, sorta. I did get the ROTS Palps as a X-mas gift last year. Didn't really want it. But he's sitting on my shelf by himself, until I get some SSC figures.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 03:37 AM »
I used to collect 12" Hasbro figs up till the Hoth wave, but quit about then...

Now though I'm getting into SS 12" due to the militaries line...  My wallet's weeping but I can't pass up sets of the ultimate troopers for the SW universe.  They're too perfect.  Sideshow broke me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 01:36 PM »
I strictly collected the Hasbro 12" line when it first came out. I managed to get almost all of them then lost interest. The SS stuff is really nice but not enough to get me back into this scale. Alot of the reason is due to cost. $50-60 per figure is just too much. My only deviations will be Chewie and a Stormtrooper when and if they get made...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 11:42 AM »
If Sideshow had the line back in the day, I might have gotten them all, but thankfully, the Kenner 12" line helped me to curb my collecting ambitions.

That said, I picked up my first Sideshow doll, the POTA Gorilla Soldier using my gift card from Comic-con. I'm pretty impressed, very solid construction. Now I can't wait for the only sideshow SW figure I've pre-ordered, the Leia Boushh.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 09:24 PM »
I bought several Hasbro 12-inchers, but many I have customized since with new bodies and better-fitting clothes.  Here are a few pics of some of them:

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 10:03 PM »
Great work.  I particularly like Han in his Endor outfit.