Author Topic: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)  (Read 210720 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode IX
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2017, 12:55 PM »
I can't say that I'm surprised by this news.  JJ already had an Executive Producer title on the production and didn't have any current directing projects in the pipeline, so we knew he was likely to be available.

I know there have been some criticisms of THE FORCE AWAKENS, many of which seem to revolve around how it strikes some similar notes to A NEW HOPE.  But I think that given how Lucas was such a student of Joseph Campbell and the concept of the hero's journey, I think that establishing a new hero in TFA would be likely to hit some of the same story points as ANH.  Episode 7 was a place setter that initiated a number of questions.  Now we have to see how Episode 8 answers some of those questions, and continues a journey towards Episode 9.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:56 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2017, 12:57 PM »
I sort of expected Johnson, and failing him JJ so there isn't much surprise here. I am somewhat surprised Johnson would pass, but maybe he just wants to do something else.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2017, 01:21 PM »
I am somewhat surprised Johnson would pass, but maybe he just wants to do something else.

Like the rumored Obi-Wan Kenobi movie, I hope! ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2017, 02:44 PM »
Help me Rian Johnson, you're my only hope.  :D

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2017, 03:32 PM »
It's official - Disney/LFL are indeed pushing Episode IX release date back as well.  @starwars: "Star Wars: Episode IX is scheduled for release on December 20,  2019."

Makes you wonder if/when they are going to announce Han Solo is pushed back to Dec 2018 too...

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2017, 05:12 PM »
I'm shocked they haven't with Han Solo yet, but they might be waiting - and waiting - to get some distance from the Lord and Miller thing to announce the shift. Still definitely seems on for May, though. Hasbro mentioned it in one or two of the Q&A's from Hascon.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2017, 05:47 PM »
Yeah, something just feels "right" about Star Wars movies and Christmas. Plus, this gets E9 out of that ridiculously stacked "3 weeks after Avengers 4, 3 weeks before Toy Story 4" release schedule
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2017, 10:54 PM »
Hopefully, they get Kasdan back to write Episode IX.  JJ is not the best storyteller.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2017, 10:55 AM »
I'd prefer Kasdan too. Abrams is a good writer, but Kasdan would put it over the top.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2017, 11:25 AM »
Abrams is NOT a good writer.  He and Damon Lindelof are horrible writers!  They will introduce things to a story that they have no plans on explaining down the road...Abrams refers to it as a "mystery box".  That is lazy writing at best which leads to ****** stories by the end.

The best example is Star Trek: Into Darkness.  Kahn blows up a building, then transports himself to the Klingon homeworld.  Interesting visual, but why does the Federation now need to spend billions of dollars on Spaceships when they could just transport people to practically anywhere in the galaxy?  Also, did you notice how the transporters on the Enterprise would stop working at just the right time that they couldn't beam anyone up....but they sure could beam them down with pinpoint accuracy on moving objects!  That's is poor writing because they do not take the time to "live" in the universe they are creating.  There have to be rules to follow, and if a rule is broken, there has to be a valid reason why that rule was broken.  This is effort that Abrams just does not put into his works.

JJ Abrams makes incredible images on film (that establishing shot of Jakku with the downed Star Destroyer is still incredible to look at), but he is a lazy writer and potentially good works suffer because of it.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2017, 11:37 AM »
I won't argue any of that, but the Trek films were largely also Kurtzman and someone who I forget right now. Abrams signed off on it, so there's that. Abrams strength is in character, which is where TFA's strength was. He does seem more interested in puzzles and distractions than telling a good story sometimes, so if I have a concern about IX, it's that.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2017, 12:06 PM »
The announcement yesterday said JJ will co-write the film with Chris Terrio, who won an Academy Award for the screenplay for Argo...  but also wrote the Batman V. Superman movie.  Not sure if that's good or bad...

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2017, 12:30 AM »
Still definitely seems on for May, though. Hasbro mentioned it in one or two of the Q&A's from Hascon.

And that right there is the reason why they aren't going to move the Han Solo movie.

Too much is "in the works" from a merchandising standpoint to pump the brakes by 7 months.

When you combine the limitations and ability to quickly adjust that Hasbro has to deal with with the identical/similar limitations and ability to quickly adjust that Lego has to deal with - any move in the release date of the Han Solo movie would throw off all Spring 2018 merchandising plans.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2017, 09:17 AM »
Do we think Disney really cares that much about the timing of merchandising?  I know it will make things really difficult for Disney's merchandising partners, but do you think there are penalties or other things in the licensing contract that would put inventory carrying costs on to Disney, or something like that?

I get the feeling that Hasbro is mostly at the mercy at Disney's decisions.

I know this is mostly a toy forum and we're all toy collectors, but I think Disney is in the drivers seat and Hasbro is just along for the ride.