Author Topic: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)  (Read 210690 times)

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode IX
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2017, 09:25 AM »

Saying that there can't be new introductions of Force powers would be to invalidate the actual emergence of the ghosts in the first place, as well as Sith lightning, or Force Speed or whatever that was in TPM.
For that matter, aside from slight precognition and communicating after death, ALL force powers introduced from ESB onward are "crapping on the original" notions of what the force is.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2017, 10:40 AM »
My interpretation was that since Luke had cut himself off from the force, Yoda and Obi-Wan could not communicate with him.

Good point. A line to clarify wold have helped a lot in that scene, which really is just about perfect. I'm sure we'll find out for sure down the line.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2017, 11:54 AM »
My interpretation was that since Luke had cut himself off from the force, Yoda and Obi-Wan could not communicate with him.

Good point. A line to clarify wold have helped a lot in that scene, which really is just about perfect. I'm sure we'll find out for sure down the line.

Rey had said that Luke had cut himself off from the Force, though.  Did it really need to be reiterated for the sake of the scene with Yoda?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2017, 12:03 PM »
Probably not, but Luke cut himself off from the Force after Ben turned. Hazy as to when this happened exactly, but the Bloodline book makes it out to be only five or six years before TFA. If that's the case, then I wonder - and it's just me maybe - did Yoda/Obi-Wan/Anakin visit with Luke in the time leading up to that? I'm curious about it, especially Anakin.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2017, 09:36 PM »

Saying that there can't be new introductions of Force powers would be to invalidate the actual emergence of the ghosts in the first place, as well as Sith lightning, or Force Speed or whatever that was in TPM.
For that matter, aside from slight precognition and communicating after death, ALL force powers introduced from ESB onward are "crapping on the original" notions of what the force is.

Well, I don't think anyone including myself said there can't be new force powers.  I said a few times now that I was fine with them in E7.  E8 powers were too much of a stretch for me, Mary Poppins Leia and Yoda Lightning in particular.  As for previous movies, the prequels happen before the OT when there are thousands of Jedi, so wouldn't it make more sense to see some variety in powers given the vastly larger sample of those with abilities?  I mean, we just have two old Jedi, a guy in training, and one bad guy who is mostly robot to base anything on by the end of Empire. 

At the end of the day, this isn't a real universe, so we can find a way to support or criticize any of the "truths" and sequences in each new movie.  I guess my disappointment is in the choices that were made to purposely break from previous notions of what the force is and how its wielded,as well as in the way that those decisions were executed.  You don't need to have Yoda throwing lightning around like he's Thor - you could have had that scene take place during a thunder storm and had lightning blast the tree for example.  Maybe they leave you speculating whether Yoda did it or not?  The more I think through the movie the more I'm convinced that Rian either didn't solicit input from anyone else or they were just in such a hurry that they didn't have time to think through different options. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2018, 06:55 AM »
There are rumors about an OT actor who is currently working on getting in shape.  Could they return for Episode IX?  It's definitely worthy of discussion.

Feedback

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Sorry. I will be boycotting this movie. I figure it'll get Kathleen Kennedy fired. I have to miss a Star Wars movie and not know how the Sequel Trilogy ends, but it's worth it since I assume I'll get a call from Walt's head itself to have me approve all Star Wars scripts going forward. Then I can once again enjoy Star Wars.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:56 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2018, 03:16 AM »
 ;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2018, 04:35 PM »
Sorry. I will be boycotting this movie. I figure it'll get Kathleen Kennedy fired. I have to miss a Star Wars movie and not know how the Sequel Trilogy ends, but it's worth it since I assume I'll get a call from Walt's head itself to have me approve all Star Wars scripts going forward. Then I can once again enjoy Star Wars.

I heard that Bob Iger has been lurking the forum and subscribed to this thread.  Stand your ground proudly!

;D

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2018, 10:06 AM »
Billy Dee Williams might be coming back as Lando for Episode IX.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-billy-dee-williams-returning-as-lando-calrissian-xi-1125818

I guess they need another original trilogy character to kill off.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2018, 11:24 AM »
He was at the Colorado Springs Comic Con last year and they wanted people to sign an online petition to get him on the cast.  I figured he'd make an appearance at some point.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2018, 05:00 PM »
Official Cast Announcement, confirms filming starts next week!

LEIA ->

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”

Also...
Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

So, Luke and Leia in Ep9 after all it seems... 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:02 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2018, 05:08 PM »
I am cautiously optimistic about the footage from TFA, knowing what some of it is, but mostly I am glad that they found a way to include her. I was not looking forward to an off screen death or RO digital type cameo at the end or something.

Very happy to know she's going to be in the movie.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2018, 02:40 PM »
I'm glad to see this announcement.  Like a lot of fans, I think that I've been anxious about how this film would be able to bring us a proper sense of closure for the story of Leia.  Unused footage seems like a reasonable approach, especially since so much material can wind up on the proverbial cutting room floor (even in the era of Avid editing).  The question is though, how can footage from Episode 7 serve the story of Episode 9?

It's good to see confirmation that Billy Dee Williams is returning as Lando.  He's one of the few principles left from the OT, and I hope that he's one of the "allies" in the Outer Rim that was referred to in Episode 8.  And despite all of the press surrounding Mark Hamill's reaction to how Luke was characterized in TLJ, he is listed in the cast here, and it must be as a Force spirit.

The one name I was surprised to not see listed?  Benecio del Toro.  Are we not going to see the return of DJ?

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2018, 04:13 PM »
I really hope they put some time between E8 and E9 so the characters have time to grow off camera.  I think Rey and Kylo Ren could both use some time to justify growth.

I was kinda hoping they would use a time gap like this to kill off Leia and just mention it in dialog.  I suppose they could still do this ad have her shuttle ambushed and use some old footage to show her on a resistance shuttle.