Author Topic: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)  (Read 212726 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)
« Reply #150 on: April 12, 2019, 03:25 PM »
Looks like that shot with Rey and the TIE Interceptor (piloted by Kylo, or just some fancy editing) happens on Jeda.

Lando in the Falcon!  (Please don't kill him off!)

I'd like to think that's the Death Star remnants on Endor...but all planets are defined by one topographical feature.   :D

The Palpatine Cackle at the end...if they go the Dark Empire route, I'll be disappointed.

Visuals look good...let's hope Jar Jar Abrams's story holds up.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2019, 04:04 PM »
Didn't see Rose or BB-8 in the trailer.

BB-8 is in there a few different places, along with some new buddy droid.

Link to the trailer.

I really hope they don't pull the Emperor and Luke back from the dead as anything more than "advisers" like ghost Yoda and Obi-Wan.

I wonder if the Rey / TIE Fighter scene is real or a dream sequence.  Seems pretty out there.  I'm guessing its a bit of a fakeout like they did in E8 as well.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2019, 04:38 PM »
I SEE CTRL+C CTRL+V ABRAMS IS REUSING THE DARK EMPIRE CLONE EMPEROR STORYLINE
REY IS A MARY SUE
CHINESE WOMEN CAN'T KISS BLACK MEN
LAURA DERN IS AN INEPT MILITARY LEADER DUE TO PURPLE HAIR AND BEING A WOMAN
IT'S OUT OF CHARACTER FOR LUKE TO WANT TO KILL HIS NEPHEW
WHY IS LUKE TICKLING PEOPLE WITH GRASS
RIAN JOHNSON MORE LIKE RUIN JOHNSON
KATHLEEN KENNEDY RUINED MY CHILDHOOD

Did I hit all the nerd rage points?

Man, that Palpy tease was awesome. SO glad to see them use the underwater Death Star from the TFA concept art. That's technically a George Lucas idea!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 12, 2019, 04:50 PM »
No sign of R2 in the trailer.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 12, 2019, 07:31 PM »
The opening scene looks like it was shot in Jordan at Wadi Rum.  It's a pretty famous film location (Lawrence of Arabia and The Martian shot there), and so was some of Rogue One.  I can definitely see the potential for anyone to think that might be Jedha.  And there was a still that I saw of Kylo in the cockpit of a TIE Fighter from the presentation.  I'm pretty sure it's him in the TIE that's flying towards Rey.

-The snowy mountaintop village with the A-wing flying in looked pretty cool.  Looking at it, I kind of wonder if that might be Battu.

-The burned forest with Kylo Ren and the Stormtroopers has some kind of an odd red sky.  Could that actually be Yavin IV with the gas giant planet making the sky so red?

-I'm also kind of curious about who is repairing Kylo Ren's helmet.

-BB-8 and D-O seem like an interesting pair, but they're together so briefly you can't really surmise much from the shot.

-Good to see Lando at the helm of the Falcon with Chewie.  And it looks like they've got the large sensor dish replaced at long last!

-The speeder chase looks pretty intense, and it looks like that same environment that might be Jedha.  Is C-3PO central to this story as an Anakin Skywalker relic?  Hmmm...

-The medal from Yavin definitely got me.  And that forest reminded me a little of Endor.

-The wreckage of the Death Star?  That elicited a significant "WHOA" from me.  And it left me thinking that was Endor and wreckage from the second Death Star.  Especially with the cackle that followed.

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 12, 2019, 07:34 PM »
Loved the trailer. It is so nice when you are really caught by surprise by things like this anymore, which is exactly what the Palps laugh did for me. Also fun to speculate on the title, it sounds really cool to me. To be honest, I was kind of in full Avengers mode (and am still pumped), but once I saw this it was all back to STAR WAAAAARS!!! Glad to see the band actually together in this movie, instead of all on their own missions. Lando!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2019, 10:11 PM »
Rey needs a new Kyber crystal for Luke’s saber...Jedha had a temple full of Kyber.

Does Kyber still exist on Jedha?  Is the first act an attempt to get said crystal??

I’m with Jeff...who is the Skywalker the title is referring to? 

Early drafts of Return of the Jedi have the final battle between Luke and Vader in front of the Emperor when the ghost of Obi-Wan and Yoda show up (in physical form) and turn the tide.   Could something similar happen “we are with you”.  Imagine an all out battle with Qui Gon, Yoda, Obi, Luke and Rey v. Kylo and Palpatine (hell throw in plageius the wise).

December can’t get here soon enough

SDCC can’t get here soon enough, what a year to be a geek between GOT, Endgame and TROS

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2019, 11:31 PM »
I loved that they used Leia’s Theme - made my eyes water. I’ve been sort of dreaded the end of the Saga and Leia. Read somewhere that Ep. IX was originally going to be Leia-centric - makes me sad that story is not going to get told.  :'(
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2019, 12:01 AM »
Rey needs a new Kyber crystal for Luke’s saber...Jedha had a temple full of Kyber.

Does Kyber still exist on Jedha?  Is the first act an attempt to get said crystal??

Except...then she is in the Jedha desert wielding a fully-functional lightsaber...

But, anyways, the Empire took all of the Kyber out of Jedha for the Death Star's Superlaser. You would have to go to the remains of one of those to really get a...

...oh...

I got goosebumps when I saw that death star island! Here's hoping for Chief Wicket to make an appearance!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2019, 03:13 AM »
I loved that they used Leia’s Theme - made my eyes water. I’ve been sort of dreaded the end of the Saga and Leia. Read somewhere that Ep. IX was originally going to be Leia-centric - makes me sad that story is not going to get told.  :'(

Welcome back Tracy!

I'm really hoping JJ isn't going to rehash the Dark Empire plot...let the Emperor be a force ghost, or an old recording.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2019, 10:49 AM »

+1!  That Leia theme gives you all the feels.  And as much as some people criticize a certain scene in TLJ, when that music kicked in it left me a mess in the theater.  I couldn't help but think about Carrie Fisher in that moment, and that music did it to me again here in this trailer.

I'm with you there about wanting to see how this story might have played out had Carrie still been with us and was able to see it through to the end.  But I'm also glad that the filmmakers were sensitive and respectful enough to not try to force something on us with a completely artificial performance.  Tarkin was one thing in Rogue One.  Leia is at the emotional center of the Star Wars Saga, and a level of authenticity to the performance is important.

As for Palpatine laughing?  Where does that go?  There seem to be a number of paths that are open based on plot points from other moments in the saga.

-Does it tie in to Palpatine's conversation with Anakin at the opera in ROTS?  Has he found the way to cheat death?  He even said it in ROTS as he spoke to Anakin following his turn against Mace Windu - "To cheat death is a power only one has achieved.  But if we work together I know we can discover the secret".  Is this real or an allusion to the Force spirit phenomenon?
-What about the world between worlds as seen in Star Wars Rebels?  Ezra use the portals to rescue Ahsoka from her confrontation with Darth Vader.  And he encountered Palpatine trying to use the portals as well.
-In ROTJ we see Palpatine fall and the explosion, but that's all.  Could Palpatine have escaped in some way using the Force?  The one point where that might not work from a story standpoint is why would he then abandon his Empire?  But we can also keep in mind his line from ROTS to the Shocktroopers after Yoda fell but they were unable to locate the Jedi Master.  Palpatine said "Then he isn't dead".
-A holocron.  They can be imbued with the spirits and thoughts of the Force users that create them.  Could a Sith holocron made by Palpatine be among Kylo Ren's most valued artifacts?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:01 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2019, 11:12 AM »
-A holocron.  They can be imbued with the spirits and thoughts of the Force users that create them.  Could a Sith holocron made by Palpatine be among Kylo Ren's most valued artifacts?

This is interesting.

I’ve been thinking about the crashed Death Star and its (fake out?) link to Palpatine?

If Palpatine is alive, or even a force ghost, why would he stay on the crashed Death Star on the forest moon of Endor?  And if he is alive I could understand Rey going to battle him, but not necessarily the whole rebel crew.  I too was thinking there must be something on the Death Star - tech, relic, etc., that was drawing the rebel team there. 

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2019, 12:31 PM »
So this is just going to be a sequel-remake of Return of the Jedi?  Speeder bikes, Endor, TIE Interceptors, Skiff, Emperor.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2019, 01:08 PM »

This is interesting.

I’ve been thinking about the crashed Death Star and its (fake out?) link to Palpatine?

If Palpatine is alive, or even a force ghost, why would he stay on the crashed Death Star on the forest moon of Endor?  And if he is alive I could understand Rey going to battle him, but not necessarily the whole rebel crew.  I too was thinking there must be something on the Death Star - tech, relic, etc., that was drawing the rebel team there. 

Kylo Ren has been drawn to artifacts, although the movies haven't really beaten us over the head with that concept.  The Vader helmet is a clear manisfestation of that.  And his desire to have the Skywalker lightsaber in both TFA and TLJ is very evident.  A holocron would potentially be one of the most significant artifacts he could desire, especially one made by Palpatine.

The thought of Palpatine surviving being thrown down the tower shaft still comes across as less than plausible, despite the scenarios I spelled out.  But there has also been this ongoing story point about how the First Order emerged from the Unknown Regions of the galaxy.  It's been something of a mystery that has been delved into slightly in the movies and literature.  If Palpatine did survive, is that where he went?  And could it have been to connect with some kind of secret Sith homeworld like Korriban?

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2019, 01:39 PM »
The trailer gives me the vibe that they are taking plot points from the original draft of TFA...where they were going around to all these different locations looking for clues to find Luke.

I can get behind the Holocron idea for Palpatine.  If he's still alive that cheapens Anakin's redemption in ROTJ and if he's a force ghost that undercuts what was established in ROTS.  Although I don't put it past Jar Jar Abrams to do either of those things.
This is the way.

I have spoken.