Author Topic: Fear the Walking Dead  (Read 142622 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Fear the Walking Dead
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2015, 08:42 PM »
The one thing we haven't seen is how it started.  It wasn't covered in the show or the comic.  I dunno...I appreciate FTWD for what they are doing.

You won't see how it really started, only how it grew/spread and things fell apart...they've said no cause will be shown.  They also said not to expect big military operations ala World War Z.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2015, 09:30 AM »
And I'm ok with that.  We're seeing the collapse from the eyes of the characters....last night's episode was pretty damn good.  The zombie outbreak is spreading faster than they can comprehend.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Did anyone read about the Cornell study earlier in the year that models a fictional zombie outbreak?  They have a cool mapping tool called Zombie Town USA that allows you to drop a zombie anywhere in the U.S. then map out the infection.  Obviously fictional, but they're trying to map out how diseases spread.  In most zombie films the outbreak happens all over at once, but they are taking a patient zero approach where zombies bites cause the infection.  I dropped a single zombie in Chicago and it took about a month to cover half the U.S. The East Coast falls relatively quick once the zombies finally get out there.  The model clearly doesn't account for infected driving or flying to different areas before they turn, but it was kind of fun to play with.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2015, 10:09 AM »
Better, for sure. That fat nerd is like the uber-mensch of the apocalypse. Or zombie-whisperer. or whatever. He's smarter than every other character put together right now. (Why did he leave his food behind at the school though?)

I kept wondering why didn't the chick's boyfriend tell anyone how he got bitten?

It is always infuriating when characters on TV shows fail to share pertinent information with each other that would be blurted out instantly in real life. English Teacher Guy doesn't feel like mentioning to anyone that the dead are coming back to life now? Even when his ex-wife asks him point blank what he knows? "Ive seen what it can do, and what it can't..." very cryptic and dramatic and all that but how about just sharing some details? Oy vey!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2015, 11:01 AM »
What Cinema Sins on youtube calls "playing the pronoun game"...

Yeah, left the food. I guess the principal freaked them out.

By the end Mom's already, "screw this, saving my own...no one else."  >:D

Guess this won't be like The Strain where people become aware of vampires but try to about their daily lives anyway. (And are often dumb enough to be out at night).

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2015, 12:18 PM »
It is always infuriating when characters on TV shows fail to share pertinent information with each other that would be blurted out instantly in real life. English Teacher Guy doesn't feel like mentioning to anyone that the dead are coming back to life now? Even when his ex-wife asks him point blank what he knows? "Ive seen what it can do, and what it can't..." very cryptic and dramatic and all that but how about just sharing some details? Oy vey!

Same when no one could explain to the sister why she couldn't go sit next to her sick boyfriend... for ****'s sake, a simple "people are turning into zombies" would have sufficed.  Is this some alternate universe where the word zombie doesn't exist?

Also the protests struck me as stupid - the police brutality thing is a big issue in our real world today, but there would be 24 hour, wall to wall media coverage of people turning into monsters and not dying until they get a bullet in the brain pretty quickly, which would be the end of the protests.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Agreed, much better episode this week. Couldn't help but laugh that in true horror fashion, the black people died first.

I kinda liked the protest angle... explains why the outbreak spreads so fast (besides nobody telling anybody anything), because the Tumbler/Social Justice Warrior crowd gets in the way of cops doing their jobs. I laughed at the people running off the bus too... hey the cops just killed a dude, let's go poke the corpse with a stick!

The food thing at the school was weird too. Like, why wouldn't you take it after all of that? I did like how hard it was to kill Principal Obama, since he's a "fresh" zombie. That pocket knife to the head would have shattered a skull on TWD.  :)

I also like the decision by the wardrobe department to stuff the "teenage" daughter into yoga pants. Slightly disappointed we didn't get any zombies eating kids in the neighbor's moonbounce though.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2015, 09:16 PM »
Same when no one could explain to the sister why she couldn't go sit next to her sick boyfriend... for ****'s sake, a simple "people are turning into zombies" would have sufficed.  Is this some alternate universe where the word zombie doesn't exist?

Yes, this has been said by the creators of TWD. There's no pop culture undead in this world. Or Haitian zombies, either.

I find that in stark contrast to most vampire stories in media, where vampires at least exist in legend. Same with werewolves. Maybe because zombies are a newer thing or because their mysterious nature is more essential to the drama.

Also the protests struck me as stupid - the police brutality thing is a big issue in our real world today, but there would be 24 hour, wall to wall media coverage of people turning into monsters and not dying until they get a bullet in the brain pretty quickly, which would be the end of the protests.

Maybe the media reports are inconsistent? We assume all the recently dead everywhere are coming back, maybe that's not the case yet. Yeah, you'd think if dead people were seen roaming around, as undead don't hide, it would be all over the news even has hard as it would be to accept. No way authorities could prevent that for long, if really at all.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2015, 11:02 PM »

I think the Government is trying to suppress any information to keep people from panicking.  There are some in the know (the cops loading their car with water) and when the protest started to turn into a riot, the Riot Cops were actually trying to keep everyone in that area because they were trying to contain the zombies.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2015, 11:19 PM »
Enjoyed this one a little more.  Starting to get there, but still much confusion.  Don't think the intervention of the military is going to be a positive experience. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2015, 01:34 AM »
when they drove by the hospital was awesome!  Couple that with the difference between Travis and Madison on how they are dealing woth this shows how strong Madison is.

Poor puppy.   :(

I also think the national guard are up to no good.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2015, 08:32 AM »
Funny how quickly the dad went from awesome dad to douche dad.  "You know how I feel about guns."  Yeah, that's gonna get you far in the zombie apocalypse. 
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2015, 09:51 AM »
I think I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like any of the characters on this show. There is no one like a Daryl or Michonne to really get behind. When you're not emotionally invested, it feels pretty flat.

I really was hoping this would NOT turn into a military/quarantine type scenario but here we go. Those guys are dopes though, they should not be wasting their time going house to house in the 'burbs.

What the hell was the point of the kid trying to break into the neighbor's house at the end? Was he planning to steal a TV set he could throw it into his imaginary car and go hock it for drug money in the middle of the apocalypse? Or was he just hoping to find a big pile of heroin lying around next door?  ::)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2015, 09:59 AM »
He was gonna steal his dead Asian neighbor's pills.  I'm pretty sure when his sister saw that empty bottle that it was him who scarfed them down.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2015, 10:13 AM »
I agree McMetal. I have no emotional investment in any character yet. That concerns me
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within