Author Topic: Fear the Walking Dead  (Read 143044 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Fear the Walking Dead
« Reply #180 on: June 6, 2017, 02:06 PM »
I share the same trepidation, Rob, but there's only one so far they know they cannot trust and perhaps, they can each earn the trust of the rest of the preppers.  When we were watching the show I said to my wife, I bet these guys are actually pretty good, or at least trying to do good, but they wouldn't be shown that way at first.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 7, 2017, 09:14 AM »
Well, I guess that wasn't all bad.  I finally got around to watching FTWD in two stints yesterday and actually found myself enjoying what was going on.

I must say I was a bit shocked about Travis, but didn't really "feel" much for the situation.  Like some have mentioned, I hope they don't turn this into a situation like TWD where it is find a safe spot, deal with a bad guy, move on, and then rinse and repeat. 

With this episode though, it looks like the writers actually listened a bit and wrote a good story that wasn't all over the place.  Now if I can develop a level of concern for the characters, we're good to go.  I'd actually like to see this story evolve into something where they actually trust and work together with the people they are currently with.  That would be an interesting direction to go.  That said, I hope they don't decide to start looking for the hill people who shot at the helicopter.  To me, that would be a serious waste of resources.  But again, it appears as if the head honcho (Unser from SOA) seems to have his head screwed on and wants to give some space to his new people.  We'll see if that's just a hook to suck them in or an honest attempt to do well by others.

All in all, a really good episode for this show, probably the best so far.  While not completely turning around my opinion of the show, I look forward to seeing what happens and hopefully this show will finally get going.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 7, 2017, 04:26 PM »
You know Madison is going to look for the hill people within the next two episodes.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 8, 2017, 03:25 PM »
I thought these first two episodes were great.  Relatively speaking for the series anyway.  I thought there was some interesting zombie action and the new camp holds some possibility.  I thought we'd have a lot of episodes with the cast trying to reconnect, so glad they condensed that down to a quick reunion.  I didn't fully understand the initial camp they were brought to - seemed like a bunch of guy's under the one brother's control, then suddenly most of them answered to the other brother.  The testing on people was a concept worth exploring, but it all felt a little unexplained to me. 

The Travis/Hill People thing was quite a surprise after he just survived the previous ordeal.  I couldn't quite see, but did he reveal a zombie bite to Alecia in addition to the gunshot wound?  Figured that was the gist of the whole thing, but I couldn't quite see it.  Much as I liked the surprise, the whole helicopter scene seemed a bit goofy to me.  They were flying pretty high up, but had bullets coming through the front windshield?  And why were people so close to the side doors anyway?  Travis is half sitting out the side door when they take off and the helicopter banks to turn...I would think that's a fairly unsafe way for someone inexperienced with a helicopter to ride along.  I think they have to explore where those shots came from...pretty silly for random people to be shooting at a chopper and it never gets resolved.  Anyone know how far along the timeline we are with this story?  For them to have gone to Mexico and back it feels like we're at least 3-4 months into the infection.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 9, 2017, 10:01 AM »
I've never seen FTWD but based on previews and the discussion it seems like there are camps/groups that are much more functional than on the east coast with Rick and the crew.  Rick woke up from his coma (a couple of weeks?) and the whole east coast was essentially zombified.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 9, 2017, 11:40 AM »
It's actually pretty similar between the two shows.  FTWD is in Southern California, so less countryside than what we typically see in TWD.  Rick woke up in a small town just outside of Atlanta, and what we saw when he reached Atlanta is that the heavily populated areas seem to get overrun first/fast.  Zombies's aren't that tough to deal with in small numbers, but bigger populations seem to fall fast.  That's the problem with all these different camps in both shows and the comics.  If you create a defensible position to keep the walkers out, that's great, but how do you handle people that die inside the walls?  I would think between malnourishment, stress, and disease (let alone walker bites and fighting with other survivors), it wouldn't take long for someone to die, then start wiping out the population from the inside.  They touched on that a little with the flu at the prison, but I'm surprised there aren't protocols for places like Alexandrea or the Sanctuary to better prevent an outbreak from within. 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 11, 2017, 10:12 PM »
I was gonna quit this show, but I heard the premiere was decent. So I watched the reruns tonight only for the 3rd new episode to be a boar.  :P

I was expecting Madison to kill the latina. She's crazy enough.

Strand's car ride ended to early...needed a season of him cruising the apocalypse.

Is Travis really dead? Really? REALLY?

Preppers were right...just unaware the urban hordes would be undead!

If anyone did fan edits they could've had Madison put in the Winnebago guy's video tape.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2017, 01:41 PM »
Travis better be dead.  He was shot through the neck and fell out of a helicopter that was a few hundred feet in the air!

Episode three was a bit slower, but they needed to establish the characters in the prepper ranch, so it wasn't that big a deal to me.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2017, 03:28 PM »
Travis better be dead.  He was shot through the neck and fell out of a helicopter that was a few hundred feet in the air!

AND he was bit, right?  Am I dreaming this?  Wish they had showed it a little better, but I took it that's why Alicia didn't try to stop him. 

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 12, 2017, 07:20 PM »
Just rewatch and it becomes...not much clearer actually. Travis might have been shot in the chest, too. That looks like guts hanging, out, not something you can hide for hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EtOn_WpS7w

I thought he was bitten. I rewatched the first ep of the season because I missed the first 20 minutes and all the reactions Travis makes after getting out of the pit of walkers imply that he's hiding something and when he's on the copter away from Madison, there's a look like he won't see her again.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 14, 2017, 12:40 PM »
I think that has to be a walker bite.  When he gets shot in the neck, he reacts and holds it.  No reaction to a shot anywhere else.  Plus that shot comes in on his left.  Unless they are surrounded by shooters on both sides, a wound on his right seems odd.  If I was shot in the neck, not sure I would voluntarily kill myself when they're under 20 minutes from help.  But Travis decides in seconds to jump out of the chopper when he asks Alicia to help him with the door.  I think he was planning to ditch if the bite got too bad during the flight, so the shot in his neck just solidified it. 

I also feel a lot better about the story if he held off dozens of undead, but was unfortunately snagged by one vs. Travis being a monster zombie killer, but dying shortly after proving himself because of a random stray bullet.   

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 19, 2017, 05:56 PM »
Ruben Blades episode...

It was okay...maybe a bit contrived that the dam villain (lol) knew who/what Salazar was. 

Lightning kills walkers. That was important to know.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2017, 09:15 AM »
I was equal parts amused, shocked, and disappointed in that scene.  I guess overall it's cool to have seen lightning take out a zombie.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 6, 2017, 09:56 AM »
This weekend 2 hour mid-season finale...already. Why are they burning through the show with 2 hour blocks? Something more important to air on sundays?

Each member of Madison's family seems to be seducing one of prepper family...or something.

Troy mercy killed the fleeing family, seriously, they'd never made it to where ever. Yeah, that's it.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 6, 2017, 12:57 PM »
Someone needs to put a bullet in Try's head.  Unfortunately, it won't be Madison, I have no clue what she's trying to do with him other than maybe being able to point him at a threat.
This is the way.

I have spoken.