Author Topic: Who's Still Playing Sports?  (Read 3329 times)

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Who's Still Playing Sports?
« on: August 10, 2015, 09:40 PM »
I recently had the itch to get back into competitive sports after sitting on the sidelines and coaching my sons' teams for many years.  After high school and patella tendon replacement surgery, I couldn't really play high impact sports without the fear of injuring my knee again.  I played sand volleyball for many years (and had to have ACL replacement while playing) and 12" softball, but could never find a rec baseball team that I was able to compete on.  Baseball was always my favorite sport growing up and always wished I could have continued to play.

We moved to a different town about a year and a half ago and I caught wind of an over 40 baseball league.  I finally ended up catching a game this past weekend and think that with a bit of practice I could compete again.  So I'm wondering, is there anyone else out there that is still playing rec sports like baseball, basketball, hockey, etc. and are you able to compete and have fun?  Specifically I'm looking for any of my over 40 brethren's experiences, but I'd like to hear from everyone.  Thanks guys.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Who's Still Playing Sports?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 10:55 PM »
I play basketball in our alumni tournament, so three games a year.   :P

Sorry, three knee surgeries later and my doc said well, you can keep playing but you'll keep having knee surgeries so really it's up to you.  And at the last consult prior to the third surgery they said "might as well throw you on the list for knee replacement since it takes so long to come through".  So yeah, didn't bode well. 

So now I bike about 100 miles a week and that's pretty much it.  I golf too, but that's not exercise IMO. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 11:13 PM »
Like Brent, I bike.  That's my main thing.  I rode 137 this past week but I average a little less than him... about 90 miles per in the seasons not named Winter.  It dips to about 50 on average in the winter depending on the snow. 

In the spring I ran a 5 miler... I've never been much of a runner - so that was an accomplishment of sorts.  I like to hike and paddle around in kayaks (but don't do either terribly often).

Basically, no - I don't play sports, but we try to be active.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 12:03 AM »
Does playing street hockey goalie for your 9 and 5-year old sons to shoot at in the driveway count? :P

Mostly just pick-up boot/skate hockey on the local neighborhood pond rink on the weekends in winter, biking and hiking in the summers to try to burn off the winter fat.

I know what you mean though about the baseball itch.  Every summer after coaching my boys teams, I start to wonder if my arm has anything left... but I haven't played in a rec league in 18 years (college).  In the end, I decide taking the boys to the batting cage is probably the safest thing to do at this point without some major training. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.