Author Topic: Walmart TFA Resistance X-Wing Fighter (Blue) with Poe  (Read 15477 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Walmart TFA Resistance X-Wing Fighter (Blue) with Poe
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 11:30 AM »
I would expect to see SOME degree of price inflation from 2005 to 2015.  That's perfectly natural.  When you also factor in the economic growth in China, along with the accompanying wage growth in that country, as well as increased safety considerations following the whole lead paint in toys scandal, production costs are definitely higher.  All of those increased costs have in turn been passed along to consumers.

However, we are also looking at movie year production numbers.  The increased production and sales volume of a movie year has historically had the effect of driving prices down.  That is something we're not seeing in 2015.  If anything, we're seeing the opposite:  charge consumers a premium to get merchandise for the new movies.

Given what we're seeing, what would Hasbro & retailers want to charge for something like the ARC-170 or the upgraded X-Wings today?  $100?  The pricing on this vehicle line is looking much more like a cash grab, especially considering the way the designs have been dumbed down.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 11:31 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 02:01 PM »
Seems like a tough price point too for gifts.  Maybe I'm cheap, but a $40-50 gift for a nephew is generally above what I target ($30) for gifts.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 06:24 PM »
Given what we're seeing, what would Hasbro & retailers want to charge for something like the ARC-170 or the upgraded X-Wings today?  $100?  The pricing on this vehicle line is looking much more like a cash grab, especially considering the way the designs have been dumbed down.

Some years back, we already saw the ARC-170 jump to some $65 to $70 for that deluxe vehicle line that lasted 2 waves (the second was the CLone Wars Y-Wing). And in 2005, it was $29.99.

The Vintage boxed Gunship was $119.99, the 3 3/4" scale gunship began retail existence during AOTC (2002) at $40, then down to $30...then sky's the limit! Though, the vintage boxed one included turrets and a few figures.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 01:50 PM »
My guess that the Disney purchase is the main factor in our getting less for more situation. If you think about it, everything changed when Disney bought the property. Prices went up and the quality diminished. That's just the way Disney operates.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2015, 07:06 PM »
Opened this for my son yesterday and it's a decent toy, although over priced for the quality...the plastic seems very lightweight.  I think this thing should be $25.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 1, 2016, 07:51 PM »
Saw this for $25 on clearance at  Walmart today
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 09:42 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 02:14 PM »
I was comparing this ship to my Saga Luke's X-wing and I was wondering if these were inscale with each other.

I know that the scale of the Luke's X-wing is slightly off (calm down Jesse), but comparing these two fighters together they seem to be about right since the TFA X-wings are smaller than the OT X-wings...at least that's how it looks to me.

What do you guys think?  Am I way off base here?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 11:19 PM »
Compared to one another they may be close...  But I don't think the TFA one is terribly smaller than the OT ship actually.  For comparison sake the "giant" xwing that is on shelves currently is like 1/17.5 scale and SW figs themselves tend to be on the smaller size and fall more into a 1/19-1/20 scale (depends on which figure you're talking about...  A lot of the earlier modern fall more in the 1/17-1/18 scale).

The nice thing about the XWing is the models and lifesize props all don't match even so there is leeway.

So comparing them to each other and figuring I'd they're in the same undersized scale to each other there is some leeway I think as well.  I'm not sure how anal the TFA production was to the scale of the new shop being very specific, but the original was all over the place for 3 films.

I say if you compare em and you're happy, go with it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77