Multimedia > The Sequel Trilogy

The new TIE Fighters

(1/4) > >>

Matt_Fury:
Ok, so this one has been bothering me for a while, because I really am not sure what to make of it.

The original TIE fighters were white/grey with black "solar" panels.  The new ones are black with light colored panels.  Now solar panels are black because they absorb all colors across the visual spectrum (plants absorb every color of the spectrum except green so they don't overheat).  Now a light colored solar panel would be completely inneficient, so why have a light colored solar panel on the new TIE fighter?

Are they not solar panels like we've thought for the past 38 years?

Is this just another JJ Abrams "Look I reversed it so it's new!" tactic like he and that moron Lindeloff did to Star Trek?

Does the technology work different in the SW universe?

Am I overthinking this?  (Quite possible!)

What do y'all think?

Jesse James:
I'm pretty sure in all tech junk on TIes they're not solar panels...  Iirc they're more like radiators.  I don't have any books handy to look tho. 

JediJman:

--- Quote from: Jesse James on September 24, 2015, 03:24 PM ---I'm pretty sure in all tech junk on TIes they're not solar panels...  Iirc they're more like radiators.  I don't have any books handy to look tho.

--- End quote ---

They are described as solar panels in pretty much all the detailed TIE Fighter descriptions and overviews, like this one on wookiepedia.

All TIE series starfighters had two or more ion engine outlets, linked to a solar ionization reactor and solar array wings.

It's a good question.  Would be cool if they came up with some rationale, but I think it was an aesthetic change without realizing or thinking about their functionality.

Diddly:
Just from pictures/toys, it seems there are two types of TIE Fighters: regular ones similar to the OT, and the Special Forces TIES that have rear/mounted cannons and hold two pilots. So I'm assuming there have been SOME sort of modifications made to the technology.

JediJman:

--- Quote from: Diddly on September 24, 2015, 04:35 PM ---Just from pictures/toys, it seems there are two types of TIE Fighters: regular ones similar to the OT, and the Special Forces TIES that have rear/mounted cannons and hold two pilots. So I'm assuming there have been SOME sort of modifications made to the technology.

--- End quote ---

That doesn't seem a lot different to me than TIE Interceptors, TIE Bombers, etc.  The wings are a pretty big part of the ship design, which makes sense if they are solar collectors of some kind.  If they redesigned the ship to no longer need solar collectors, then why keep all that mass from the wings?  The whole point of the TIEs is that they are very economical and can overwhelm with numbers, so if they don't use the wings anymore, why keep then in a revised design?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version