Author Topic: What Would You Like to See for the 40th Anniversary?  (Read 14116 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: What Would You Like to See for the 40th Anniversary?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 11:52 AM »
I think the release has actually been on par with the original films, if not slightly higher.  Star Wars initially launched with 12 figures, then added 8 more.  Between the single and 2-pack 5POA figures, we have 20 Rogue One dedicated figures as well.  Then add in that there's WM Black Series, 6" figures, Disney Elite figures, ships with pack-ins, etc.  I'm actually pretty happy with the assortment size per movie.  I think there's a handful of other figures announced (Galen, Raddus) and four more in the Jedha 4-pack - that feels about right.  What other figures do people really want from the movie?  Maybe a few more rebel leaders or a rebel trooper, but it's otherwise pretty well covered. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 03:17 PM »
I think the release has actually been on par with the original films, if not slightly higher.  Star Wars initially launched with 12 figures, then added 8 more.  Between the single and 2-pack 5POA figures, we have 20 Rogue One dedicated figures as well.  Then add in that there's WM Black Series, 6" figures, Disney Elite figures, ships with pack-ins, etc.  I'm actually pretty happy with the assortment size per movie.  I think there's a handful of other figures announced (Galen, Raddus) and four more in the Jedha 4-pack - that feels about right.  What other figures do people really want from the movie?  Maybe a few more rebel leaders or a rebel trooper, but it's otherwise pretty well covered.

Just off the top of my heads... Tarkin for starters.  I'm shocked that they didn't do a Leia too.  Dravin and Mon Mothma would be great.  Bail Organa?  A few Rebel Troops and Pilots, General Merrick at least?  Bistan?  That weird little Ugnaught looking guy?  Young Jyn and her mom?  A beast pack of that monster that reads Bodhi's mind?  Krennic in his poncho?  They hit most of the main characters, but some stuff for collectors would be nice.  Jedda Pilgrim?  Vader's dignitary?

It's been about a year and a half since the TFA Force Friday and there's no Luke figure?  No General Organa.  No Lor San Trekka.  No Snoak.  Only one background Alien from Maz's bar.  They make one of the Kanji Club guys, but that would have been an awesome 5 pack.  Likewise, they make the Guavian Enforcer, but no Bala Tik?  No Rathtar, no beasts of any kind?

Cool and interesting characters come and go on Rebels all the time, and we're basically getting one here and one there... which is fine, but it's clearly not a priority.

Then there's still 6 movies that they seem to be basically done with.

It's not so much that there's nothing, I'm just surprised that there isn't a steady stream of new stuff coming out in the months following the initial release.  That's kind of the point.  I think the demand for more is there, and I'm missing the days when Hasbro would make some cool unmade figures that aren't main characters or troops.  And I'm missing the days when you could expect a new wave or two every month or two with figures from various films.   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:36 PM by Rob »

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 03:37 PM »
I'm still surprised they haven't mixed in more Rebels characters in to the assortments.  Lots of fun characters and cool stuff to choose from.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:41 PM by Dave »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 05:03 PM »
There's definitely more that I would want from E7 and Tarkin is a great choice.   I could live without the rest though, especially a young Jyn or the silly mind reading character.  We didn't get Tarkin in the vintage line, nor did we get side characters like Owen, Beru, specific Imperial Officers, Rebel Leaders, Pilots, etc.  My response was mainly to Darby's comparison of the original vintage line - I just don't think we've gone backwards since then.  Sure, there is much more they could do, but for R1, I'm feeling pretty good about what they've done thus far. 

From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 05:26 PM »
There's definitely more that I would want from E7 and Tarkin is a great choice.   I could live without the rest though, especially a young Jyn or the silly mind reading character.  We didn't get Tarkin in the vintage line, nor did we get side characters like Owen, Beru, specific Imperial Officers, Rebel Leaders, Pilots, etc.  My response was mainly to Darby's comparison of the original vintage line - I just don't think we've gone backwards since then.  Sure, there is much more they could do, but for R1, I'm feeling pretty good about what they've done thus far.

I think you could make the case that we haven't gone backwards from the vintage line... but I think you could also make the case that we've gone backwards compared to what we got used to over the last 15 years or so - not just in quantity either...

So it's more like an arc that goes up and then comes back down, than some kind of steady line from 1977 until now.

And yeah, maybe a Jedda Pilgrim or the monster thing wouldn't be for everyone, but the thing that I enjoy the most with collecting is when something obscure or weird gets made.  I've got a dozen different Tattooine Luke Skywalkers, but it's when they make something like Hermi Odle that collecting is fun to me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:28 PM by Rob »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 06:42 PM »
I think most of it is simply that the line doesn't have 3 years to work on things now...  They have to flesh out a line for a movie then onto the next, then the next and so on for the foreseeable future.

What's seen now as "down time" (now, for instance) is probably them working feverishly on the next film's line-up.  When you had 3 years between movies, it was far easier to manage.  Now, you have to crank out things and move onto the next, and the line is a far cry from what it used to be...  not just the toys, but who's buying them too.  "Collectors" aren't the same anymore, nor are kids. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 09:46 AM »
I can understand lack of Rogue One product since Episode 7 was originally supposed to come out in May 2017.

As for why nothing else is coming out, Hasbro has to spend the rest of the year focusing on the Marvel properties, shipping out figures that won't hit shelves due to the 2-3 year backlog of Legends figures on the pegs. Don't expect any SW toy news until the next Force Friday.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 10:18 AM »
I can understand lack of Rogue One product since Episode 7 was originally supposed to come out in May 2017.

As for why nothing else is coming out, Hasbro has to spend the rest of the year focusing on the Marvel properties, shipping out figures that won't hit shelves due to the 2-3 year backlog of Legends figures on the pegs. Don't expect any SW toy news until the next Force Friday.

If that's true, and I don't know that it is, to me it's an opportunity to expand your business... hire more people... sell more widgets.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 10:59 AM »
Agreed.  Disney is going to crank out new movies every year for the foreseeable future and Hasbro better get it figured out or they'll be leaving money on the table.

I get it that there are going to be challenges associated with developing products in a tight timeline with all the secrecy that Disney has in place, but there should be no excuse for Hasbro not to be able to play catch up with the already released movies.  TFA has been out for over a year and the fact that they don't have a Luke, General Leia, or other new TFA figures (and Rebels) coming out seems like a big miss

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 1, 2017, 05:41 PM »
Recent rumors seem to point at an assortment of Black Series figures of the original 12, which would be neat. Probably repacks aside from the recently announced Tusken, leaving just the Jawa and Death Squad Commander for the last two. I also saw a "Early Bird" set was found in the Target computers, but I think it was listed at $39.99, which seems low for a 6" four pack. Hopefully we will get a better idea at Toy Fair.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #25 on: February 1, 2017, 06:40 PM »
My theory is the EB set is a 2 pack (6 inch) of TFA/TLJ Luke and someone else, probably Rey, as a nod both to the annversary and new movie.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #26 on: February 1, 2017, 07:11 PM »
Looking at my tatooine display, a new Beru would be nice compliment to the comic pack Owen we got a few years back.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 4, 2017, 09:53 PM »
I don't want to buy a bunch of repacks just for packaging, but I'm beyond stoked if we have Jawas, Tuskens, and a DS Commander on the way for 6 inch figures.  All three of those are high on my want list and a great homage to the original 12. 

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2017, 12:48 PM »
More super-articulated figures.