Author Topic: TFA Takodana Encounter Battle Pack  (Read 24913 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
TFA Takodana Encounter Battle Pack
« on: February 11, 2016, 01:05 PM »
$19.99 Takodana Battle Pack revealed @ EW

Set includes new 5POA Maz Kanata and repacks of 5POA Finn, Rey, and BB8.  Text in the article says Maz will not be available singly, just in this set.  Set also includes the Anakin Saber and Maz's trunk.

Maz looks great... but sticking her in a $20 box set with repacks is pretty lame.  Pic from EW:

« Last Edit: April 7, 2016, 02:02 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: TFA Takodana Battle Pack
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 01:29 PM »
Well for 5 POA that's a really great looking figure.

But yeah, that's an equally disappointing way to distribute it.  Hopefully the paint apps on the repacks are at least different enough that they're kind of variations.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 01:30 PM by Rob »

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 02:10 PM »
It's a goddamn gorgeous figure.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 03:36 PM »
Hmmm yeah sticking her in a box O junk kinda blows.  May see if my brother wants the others for fodder since I got them long ago.  Basically this is a $20 5POA fig with a cool accessory... For most of us anyway. 

Wonder if this will be exclusive or everywhere?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 03:46 PM »
Basically this is a $20 5POA fig with a cool accessory... For most of us anyway. 

I don't mind the BB-8 to be honest.  I only have the one from the 3-pack with the Jakku goons.  Nice to have another.  Too bad they couldn't have thrown FN-2199 (aka TR-8R) into the mix too since he was a fun part of Takodana battle.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 04:59 PM »
*Insert the Hasbro quote about new sculpts not being available in battle packs*

Still, $20 is a lot easier to swallow that $100 whatever for the Rancor set to get a new Jabba (which was never even stocked at any of my 3 local TRUs so good job TRU)

Theoretically this set will be double hard to find too, since we will be fighting scalpers to get Maz and the #wheresrey people will be buying it to get Rey.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 05:08 PM »
When is the last time we got a non-exclusive Battle Pack???  Five years ago? 

Does anyone know if this is verified as a main line toy, or is this going to be a retailer exclusive?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 06:34 PM »
Ah, good point on BB8 Jeff.  I figured it's the 3-pack droid, not the better Falcon one.  I really want that one, so that's a plus too.  Helps sooth the pain of buying the pack I'll inevitably feel.  My brother I know wanted a Rey and Finn head for Joe customs too, so there's that.  It'll even out for me ultimately.

And hey, it's $19.99 and not $24.99 which I think BPs were up to last I recall.

Maz looks like she has an impact gun.  She must really like Chewbacca if she's helping him remove lugnuts on the Falcon.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 07:40 PM »
Just like to add that it almost looks like her glasses are movable or something.  If so, +5 for coolness.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 08:28 PM »
It does look pretty awesome.  I'd like to see the chest, but I think we're going to have to wait for a packaged sample.  And as far as Rey, Finn and BB-8 getting carried forward into the set?  It's a little annoying, but they're good for filling out some diorama scenes.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 08:40 PM »
I'm just glad we're getting Maz. $20 isn't enough to get worked up about. Now if they do this over and over with new figs I'll get on the bitch train.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 06:20 AM »
This set actually reminds me a bit of the Resurgence of the Jedi battle pack from the TSC line.  We only got one really new figure in that set with the Luke.  Obi-Wan, R2 and C-3PO were all reissue figures, but damn did people go ga-ga over that Luke?  And coincidentally, that set also featured the chest that had the lightsaber, and the table from Ben's hut.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:21 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 08:08 AM »
This set actually reminds me a bit of the Resurgence of the Jedi battle pack from the TSC line.  We only got one really new figure in that set with the Luke.  Obi-Wan, R2 and C-3PO were all reissue figures, but damn did people go ga-ga over that Luke?  And coincidentally, that set also featured the chest that had the lightsaber, and the table from Ben's hut.

I bought that set for Artoo more than Luke...I don't think we'd gotten a "vanilla" Artoo based on the ROTS sneak-preview Astromech mold up until that point. They had just kept rehashing the chromedomed VOTC Artoo. That was what put the Resurgence pack over the top for me.

Maz looks really good, and I haven't bought any of the other figures yet so the value is definitely there for me with the Takodana pack. I didn't trust the Force Friday releases because of traditionally bad paint on early "new line" stuff. Heard the BB-8 in the three pack is of lesser quality. Haven't seen much but oddball characters on the pegs since November (though it's not like I hunt anymore...)

So all that adds up to a bit of interest in this pack, even if it would be mostly for my son to play with. If they are trying to get some of us old collectors off the fence, this sort of thing is a step in the right direction for us.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 11:07 AM »
Ah, good point on BB8 Jeff.  I figured it's the 3-pack droid, not the better Falcon one.  I really want that one, so that's a plus too.  Helps sooth the pain of buying the pack I'll inevitably feel.  My brother I know wanted a Rey and Finn head for Joe customs too, so there's that.  It'll even out for me ultimately.

And hey, it's $19.99 and not $24.99 which I think BPs were up to last I recall.

Maz looks like she has an impact gun.  She must really like Chewbacca if she's helping him remove lugnuts on the Falcon.

I think they started to incorporate the BB-8 from the Falcon into the 2pks. You can tell if it has the peg hole on the bottom, it's the better one.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: March 9, 2016, 10:41 AM »
Sounds like online shops will be able to start taking pre-orders on this set after 3/15. 

If you are a person who prefers to order online, keep an eye on your favorite shop for pre-orders next week...