Multimedia > The Original Trilogy

Obi-Wan Kenobi's original fate in ANH revealed

(1/4) > >>

Nicklab:
Veteran Star Wars actor Peter Mayhew, the man behind Chewbacca, has tweeted some pages from the original script for Star Wars.  Those pages depict a very different version of Obi-Wan Kenobi's confrontation with Darth Vader on the Death Star.  It's very difficult to imagine Obi-Wan escaping from his duel with Vader, and escaping aboard the Millennium Falcon.  His survival would have reshaped much of the saga without him becoming one with The Force, and he likely would have served in the capacity of Luke's Jedi Master in TESB had the script not been changed to what we saw in ANH.

Scockery:
It's not difficult to imagine after the prequels. They can go that route in the remake.

Kenobi realizes he lacks the ability to train Luke to his true potential and fears him falling to the dark side, so off to Dagobah they go or just Luke alone. So what does Kenobi do the rest of ESB...is he with the Rebel fleet or in the Falcon? If he's at Cloud City that gets another Vader/Kenobi reunion. So maybe he's not there. 

ROTJ, Luke confronts Obi-Wan about his dad. So no Yoda scene? What does he do the rest of the movie. Hmmm....

Matt_Fury:
You have to look at that through the lense of:

-At the time, Darth Vader was not Luke's father.

-There was no Yoda.

Both of those concepts were created when they were writing Empire Strikes Back.

Nicklab:
Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo caught wind of the Peter Mayhew tweet and expanded upon the issue.  Obi-Wan's survival was something that was in the early drafts, but left a number of things hanging.  It had the effect of diminishing the power of both the Empire as well as Darth Vader.   Check out his tweet here which shows some excerpts from the J.W. Rinzler book "Making Star Wars":

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/721241149915013126

Muftak:
Obi-Wan not dying in original versions of the Star Wars script is not new news.

I recall at least reading it here http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-The-Annotated-Screenplays/dp/0345409817 nearly 20 years ago...and something tells me it wasn't new information even then.

Funny to read the replying tweets to Mayhew's "shocking" revelation though.

Boy am I a bitter old man.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version