Author Topic: A thread about concerts.  (Read 164706 times)

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
Re: A thread about concerts.
« Reply #180 on: August 27, 2005, 10:37 AM »
wow... that is low.  i had heard that black sabbath had been sore before about opening bands blowing them away, but they should have known that would happen with iron maiden.  i am sure maiden has more serious fans than sabbath or ozzy does anymore.

i went to the ozzyfest a few years ago and sabbath was probably the low point of the show.  ozzy didn't look like he felt good, so it was essentially 4 really old dudes standing around playing sabbath songs kinda poorly.   rob zombie definitely blew them away.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 27, 2005, 06:20 PM »
Rob Zombie took the show in 2001 at the Oz Bless America Tour that came through here.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2005, 02:17 AM »
I've been hearing some contradictory stuff, outside of the concert report that HMI linked. One story says Sharon was being a total bitch throughout most of the tour, cause Maiden was overshadowing Sabbath. On the other hand, I've also been hearing that Bruce was being an egotistical ass, snubbing most of the other bands and Ozzy in particular at almost every turn. So who knows what's what really. Maiden's part of the tour is done and Velvet Revolver replaced them. Ozzy has announced he's only going to be doing select cities for now on during Ozzfest due to his deterioating health.

I was at a show a couple weeks ago, the Gigantour show w/ Megadeth & Dream Theater headlining here in Chicagoland. Was a pretty solid show, the problem was the sound system at the venue, the Tweeter Center in Tinley Park, IL sucks major ass. The first main stage act was Nevermore, and at first I thought they weren't using the main sound system or something, because they sounded really weird. They have a bit of a unique sound to them, that was completely drowned out. Then later on Dillenger Escape Plan came out, and the sound was just as bad. Not to mention the fact that their music sucked. 

When Fear Factory hit, everything sounded nice and clear, so I figure the problems came and went. FF btw sounded pretty good, first time I've seen them since Dino left the band a few years back, but they were alright. Dream Theater hit next, and most likely more than half the crowd was there to see them. But the problems with the sound system returned and made for some difficulties understanding James Labrie's voice, which is beyond stupid, because he has such a high pitched clear voice. Instrumentally though, you could hear things just fine, and as always Petrucci and Portnoy were stellar on guitar and drums respectively.

Finally, out came Megadeth who rocked, despite the fact I really still have no clue who the new band members are. The worst part though was no one knew or was interested in any of their new songs, the crowd didn't come alive until they started to play some of the classic songs, most notably starting out with In My Darkest Hour. It was a high impact set from them overall, despite the unfamiliarity with the new members/songs

I had also checked out the 2nd stage, a band called Bobaflex was there, neat SW-inspired name, but crappy band. They were too infatuated with their own inane homoerotic shenangians to get the crowd going. Saw Dry Kill Logic, who were nothing to sneeze at, and Symphony X who musically sounded really good, but I wasn't familiar with their work. Overall, it was worth the $50 for the tickets and was a good time, but could have been a lot better if not for the sound system. It'll make me 2nd guess going to this venue again.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2005, 05:45 PM »
i may have to rescind my statement.  reports have it that dickenson was bashing ozzy and the osbournes show all thru the tour, so sharon took her one last chance to get a little revenge.

if that is the true story, then i don't blame her at all for screwing with them.  the only ones i feel bad for are the fans probably didn't understand and were pissed to see maidens set messed up.

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 1, 2005, 10:14 AM »
I saw Motley Crue near Detroit last wednesday, three bands opened for them, I can only remember the name of the band Silvertide (I really liked this bands sound). The whole show absolutely rocked! Unfortunately Motley cut Too Young To Fall In Love, Helter Skelter and Tommy's Drum Solo (no big loss here as I never really liked his techno-bull****). They sounded a little ruffer than they did when I saw them at The Palace back in March.  For that show, back at the very beginning of the tour, I'd never heard Vince sound so damn good. And I've seen Crue on almost every tour since 1984. I'm still not sure why they changed the name of the tour midstream from Red White and Crue 2005 Tour to Carnival Of Sins Tour 2005??? Oh well, they still kicked ass! ;D

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 2, 2005, 07:41 PM »
I'm pretty excited, I'm getting ready to take my 5 year old daughter to see John Williams tonight at the Hollywood bowl. She knows all the music, so I can't wait to see her reactions. She gets quite enthusiastic.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #186 on: October 6, 2005, 03:24 AM »
I just got back from the Nine Inch Nails concert. I was blown away. They are so ******* amazing live. Trent went cray and broke about 5 mic stands, threw a mic into the audience. I had such a blast. The lighting/set were perfect for the show everything was timed so well. I highly recommend seeing NIN live if you like them.  :)
"This is the way."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #187 on: October 6, 2005, 01:10 PM »
My Morning Jacket tonight at the Roxy, in Atlanta.

Go get their new album, Z. It's crunk.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 6, 2005, 01:15 PM »
I just got back from the Nine Inch Nails concert. I was blown away. They are so ******* amazing live.

I always figured NIN would put on a great live show.  Someday I may be lucky enough to see them.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #189 on: October 7, 2005, 11:32 AM »
Just got back from seeing My Morning Jacket at the Roxy in Atlanta... Awesome show.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #190 on: October 8, 2005, 10:14 PM »
Saw Alkaline Trio and My Chemical Romance last night - good show. I'd definately go see them again.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 8, 2005, 10:17 PM »
Forgot to mention it, but while I was in Vegas this summer with my family we saw the Blue Man Group live. It was nice 'cause they were doing their show in our hotel, so it was nice just walking back to our room from there.  :)
« Last Edit: October 8, 2005, 10:17 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #192 on: October 9, 2005, 02:24 AM »
  • Guns N' Roses/Smashing Pumpkins, 4/6/92
  • Guns N' Roses/Metallica/Faith No More, Dallas, 9/5/92
  • The Black Crowes/The Jayhawks, 2/10/93
  • Aerosmith/Jackyl  :P 6/4/93
  • The Rolling Stones, Dallas, 11/18/94
  • The Black Crowes, May 1995
  • Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, 6/6/95
  • The Smashing Pumpkins, 11/23/96
  • "The Artist" (Prince), 8/5/97
  • Wilco, 11/5/97
  • Sarah McLachlan/Lisa Loeb, 3/17/98
  • Lilith Fair (Sarah McLachlan, Natalie Merchant, others), 7/1/98
  • H.O.R.D.E. Festival (Smashing Pumpkins, Ben Harper, others), 7/15/98
  • Tenacious D, April 2002
  • Sonic Youth, Dallas, 8/1/02
  • Wilco, Dallas, September 2002
  • Eyes Adrift, October 2002
  • Beck/The Flaming Lips, Dallas, 11/14/02
  • The Strokes, 11/15/02
  • Coldplay, 2/1/03
  • Pearl Jam/Sleater-Kinney, 4/3/03
  • The Flaming Lips/Liz Phair, 6/9/03
  • The Flaming Lips/Liz Phair, Dallas, 6/10/03
  • Radiohead, Houston, October 1

I think this is all I've been to since then:

*Prince, OKC, April 2004
*Velvet Revolver, Dallas, June 2004
*Willie Nelson/Bob Dylan, September 2004
*Wilco, Dallas, September 2004
*Wilco, OKC, April 2005
*Wilco, Tulsa, September 2005

May be going to see Liz Phair in Tulsa on November 1st, but other than that, I got nothin'.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2006, 03:46 AM by MWB »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 9, 2005, 07:57 PM »
In the past few weeks I've been to:

*Toby Keith/Leeann Womack
*KROQ's Inland Invasion featuring 311, Weezer, Beck, Oasis, Cake, Madness and many more
*Brad Paisley/Sara Evans and Sugarland
*The Killers
*Bloodhound Gang

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 9, 2005, 11:00 PM »
HE, how are The Killers live?

Kevin