Author Topic: A thread about concerts.  (Read 166025 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: A thread about concerts.
« Reply #345 on: May 22, 2008, 09:46 PM »
I had a chance to see Foxboro Hot Tubs last night... For those who haven't heard of this - it's these guys.

The show was at a very small venue - maybe 200 or so total people there, so it was pretty kick ass.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 22, 2008, 10:05 PM »
Looks like Greenday to me...Unless they've changed their name.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 22, 2008, 10:36 PM »
It's a side project.  They had another one a few years ago called the Network that had some guys from Devo in it too.  They played mostly FHT songs last night, with at least 1 Network song, 1 Green Day song, and a random few covers.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 22, 2008, 10:48 PM »
So far I've got tickets to the following this summer:

Rush May 24
Foreigner/Boston June 7
Iron Maiden June 9
Mark Knopfler July 11
Tom Petty August 9

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 23, 2008, 09:25 AM »
Someone chucked a bottle at Geddy Lee and he stayed pissed off for that long.  Row 18 on the floor, May 24. 

What low class.

Another great tour though. I missed them this year, but I know it's the same set list as last year, when I saw them, save for a few changes.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 23, 2008, 12:35 PM »
I'll let you know.  Supposedly we get a "special" show in Winnipeg because they haven't been here for over 25 years.  No opening act and three hours of music, so we'll see how it goes. 

As for the bottle, probably the same jackass that chucked a bottle at the Red Wings after they eliminated the Jets from the playoffs in 1996.  We have some clever folks around here. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 23, 2008, 02:55 PM »
Iron Maiden June 9

I have to check to see if they're coming here at all... I saw them about 4 years ago with Dio and Motorhead and it was ******* awesome.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #353 on: May 23, 2008, 06:10 PM »
I got NIN tickets for august.  ;D
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 24, 2008, 05:09 PM »

They put on an awesome show. Wish they weren't playing the Forum this time around here. That venue sucks.
I remember my dream now.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #355 on: May 25, 2008, 09:18 AM »

They put on an awesome show. Wish they weren't playing the Forum this time around here. That venue sucks.

I have seen them a few times at both large and small venues. I think the best time i saw them was at Madison Square Garden with A Perfect Circle opening and then Marilyn Manson coming out to do the encore of StarF*ckers and Beautiful People.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #356 on: May 26, 2008, 09:52 AM »
I'm going to Bonnaroo, so I'll get to see Pearl Jam, Metallica, and My Morning Jacket. I'll be seeing MMJ three times, this year. Highly recommended show.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 11, 2008, 04:00 PM »
Well, a couple of shows have gone by....

Rush - didn't end up being a special show in any way that it was hyped.  We got the standard format concert everyone else got, so a bit disappointing in that way.  The show didn't sell out either, a big surprise there.  It was very impressive and the most amazing aspect is just how good these guys are as musicians individually and as a group.  One of the tightest performances I've ever seen. 

Boston/Lou Gramm - didn't end up going, though apparently it was a pretty good show, or at least Boston was.  Lou Gramm apparently hasn't done well physically, his vocals are off and he's applying a fair bit of creativity to the original versions.  I don't really know anyone that enjoyed that aspect.  Boston was apparently great.

Iron Maiden.   :o :o :o :o :o :o
Get the idea?  Wow, just wow.  It was loud, fast and hard.  Dickenson's vocals were amazing and the band sounded fantastic.  It was basically the same tour as 1986 for the most part and was fantastic.  It was kinda funny because I talked to a fair number of the staff before the show and they were terrified of the crowd, which aside from the floor was extremely well behaved. 

As for the crowd, it was without a doubt the loudest crowd I've ever heard.  That's saying something too.  The show was a "sell-out" at 12500 but that was about 4000 less than were at the Pearl Jam show.  The lower number is in response to the stage setup that wasn't as open as the Pearl Jam concert where folks were sitting behind the stage as well.  The Pearl Jam crowd was probably the most impressive I've ever seen overall and their energy was consistently higher before and during the show.  The Maiden crowd did quiet down a couple of times during songs I thought were kind of obscure to include in the show when better or at least more popular choices existed.  I don't remember that happening at Pearl Jam through the show.  Where the Maiden crowd was better (louder) though was in the duration of singing along during the show.  Routinely you couldn't even hear Dickenson singing at all because the crowd just drowned him out. 

Suffice to say I'm really, really happy to have gone to this show.  Hell, I even bought a t-shirt.  At regular price even.  It had a bloody hockey stick on it, how could I possibly resist?

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 12, 2008, 09:53 AM »
Saw Death Cab for Cutie about a week ago in the Twin Cities. Great show!

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #359 on: June 16, 2008, 09:19 PM »
Just got back from Bonnaroo... It was awesome.

**** Kanye.