Author Topic: A thread about concerts.  (Read 164721 times)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Re: A thread about concerts.
« Reply #570 on: February 25, 2014, 12:33 PM »
Got tickets for the farewell Motley Crue tour (with Alice Cooper) when it hits Chicago in August.  I've never seen Alice Cooper before, so I'm really excited to catch this show.

I was thinking the same about Alice Cooper. 

I haven't bought my tickets yet, but am planning to catch the Crue when they are here in Dallas in July.  My only sticking point is my wife and I are taking my daughter to Disney World for her first time and that will also be in July.  My wife wants to shoot me because part of me wants to plan vacation around a concert.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 1, 2014, 10:18 AM »
Going to see Eric Burdon and The Animals on Friday. As long as he doesn't have a heart attack during the show it should be really cool.

Pretty awesome that at 72 he could still rock it out like he did last night! Awesome concert! Small venue. So cool.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 12, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Going to Queen with Adam Lambert in June. Been a very long time since I have seen them back in 1977. Sure miss Freddie.  :'(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 12, 2014, 12:51 PM »
Caught Elvis Costello & The Impostors over the weekend.  Great show, but surprising, too.  I've always been struck by how thoughtful and eloquent Elvis Costello is offstage, and I thought he would talk a little bit between songs.  But Saturday night in Atlantic City?  Not at all!  He was all business, charging through his set with nary a break between songs except to change guitars a couple of times.  And his guitar playing was far more adventurous and aggressive than I've ever heard on a recording. 

He's actually playing locally tonight too, just outside of NYC, at the newly renovated Capital Theater.  But this time he's going to be backed up by The Roots!

Me?  Not going to be there.  Because I'll be checking out The Allman Brothers Band!  WOOHOO!!!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 22, 2014, 01:05 PM »
Saw Ghost over the weekend... amazing.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #575 on: April 23, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Awesome, have my tickets for Ghost in May. Just bought my ticket for Blackfield next week.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 23, 2014, 10:33 PM »
Saw Black Sabbath last week and I have to say, they were fantastic.  Ozzy was a bit out there for sure, but held it together for the most part.  Tried to walk off the stage about half way through and I really do think he thought the show was over at that point.   :D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 23, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Awesome, have my tickets for Ghost in May. Just bought my ticket for Blackfield next week.

Nice.  Here are a pair of videos from the show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE64MvIrZgg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klcfJvGEZiY

I can't wait to see them again.  They did one of their photo-op / meet-and-greets (I guess they call them Convocations) at a record store down the street from my house that morning, so a few guys from work and I went down and met them.  They were incredibly nice.  Also, probably nothing will come of it, but we put together a pitch for a music video and I handed it off to their tour manager... long-shot for sure, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:41 PM by Rob »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 24, 2014, 08:46 AM »
That picture looks cool. What kind of music is Ghost?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 24, 2014, 09:33 AM »
They're a Swedish metal band... but also kind of poppy... also kind of hard to describe.  Character-based like Gwar or KISS, there are theories but no one officially knows who's in the band.

Singer only appears in public in a mask and suit as an old Italian guy, then that mask gets make-up to turn him into this Papa Emeritus character for the shows. 

Worth checking out, and incredibly entertaining if you're not generally offended by sacrilege. 

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #580 on: June 16, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Darby, Matt R., and myself are headed to the opening night of Queen & Adam Lambert in Chicago on Thursday. I'm really looking forward to it, having recently seen the stage...
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #581 on: June 16, 2014, 10:11 PM »
So excited for Queen!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 17, 2014, 12:26 AM »
Going to Queen with Adam Lambert in June. Been a very long time since I have seen them back in 1977. Sure miss Freddie.  :'(

Have fun guys. I'll be seeing them next Tuesday night. After seeing the Queen Extravaganza with Marc Martel last year well let's just say the auditorium gasped when he sang & then the place rocked!

Looking forward to a review from you all. Still miss Freddie.  :'(

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #583 on: June 22, 2014, 12:27 PM »
The concert was AMAZING!!! You're going to love it Dale. One of the best shows I've ever been to. Couple first night glitches but it was like seeing Queen reborn!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 22, 2014, 02:41 PM »
Saw Devo last night.  Always a fun time and it was cool to get to see / hear the experimental early stuff.