Author Topic: A thread about concerts.  (Read 166354 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: A thread about concerts.
« Reply #255 on: July 26, 2006, 11:10 PM »
Man, tonights show was AWSOME! The opening act was a band I had never heard of, and they did little much more than play some music with a fiddle and sing. They were nice. The second act of the night was Danielle Peck, and let me tell you, not only was this girl beautiful, but she sang a few covers (One was Folsom Prison Blues :)) and you wouldn't know she didn't write them. She made them her own. Plus, she was gorgeous, and I was right at the barricade, so that helped hold my attention!

Then the main eventers, Charlie Daniels Band hit the stage and tore everything up. I didn't know I knew that many Charlie Daniels Band songs! They played a bunch of their songs, and a couple of band members had their own songs that they performed. There was two bouts of musical "punch for punch" and one where Charlie used the fiddle and battled every band member on their respecive instruments, immitating the noise they made. It was awsome! The guituarist had his own piece to perform on his electric guitar....Flight of the Bumblebee! Never have I heard a more badass version.

Finnaly after a rocking version of our National Anthem, he ended the night with The Devil Went Down to Georgia, and it was again, awsome. I was pumping my fist, bouncing up and down. Awsome.

Cheers, next is the Dropkick Murphys!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 27, 2006, 01:23 AM »
Also, I met Jeff The Drunk, of Howard Stern fame.

KEvin

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #257 on: July 27, 2006, 02:06 AM »
Saw Willie Nelson and John Foggerty... Willie was off, for the most part... but John totally rocked the balls off... Nothing but CCR hits all night long, minus two solo songs at best. John is one of the best guitarists I've seen - he really, really ripped into a few solos... Amazing stuff...

Great show, John is recommended.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #258 on: August 3, 2006, 02:44 PM »
I've been in a show-going lull for almost a full year now, but that's all about to change:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flaming Lips Blend L.A. With Oklahoma On Live CD/DVD

July 28, 2006, 10:25 AM ET
John Benson, Cleveland

After taping a performance at Los Angeles' Hollywood Bowl last Sunday, the Flaming Lips are halfway done with the first live album of their career. The rest of the material on the CD/DVD set will be drawn from an as-yet-unscheduled September show in the band's Oklahoma City hometown.

"We're hoping that by the time we're actually doing it, we can put it out in whatever format, like the Blu Ray or HD DVD, [that] Warner Bros. is picking up on and be able to do high resolution, uncompressed audio this time around," Flaming Lips bassist Michael Ivins tells Billboard.com. "Even [with] DVDs we're putting out now, for Surround Sound, they still have to encode the video. People say it's lost its compression but I'm not buying it."

And while the Hollywood Bowl show went heavy on the Lips' recent album "At War With the Mystics," the plan is to dig out some older, more obscure material for the Oklahoma City date. The CD/DVD will most likely arrive early next year. "We never want to rush stuff out and say, 'Hey, look, it's out for Christmas'," Ivins says.

The current tour does feature plenty of willing audience members on stage as dancers wearing Santa Clause and alien costumes, but there is one stage prop that has yet to be unveiled. "Perhaps you've heard about our UFO we're trying to build for the stage," Ivins says. "It's not quite ready yet. We're going to see if we can do it every show or just do it a few times a year."

He admits, "That's how we do a lot of stuff -- we'll think of something and then we'll figure out how to do it afterwards."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Live show. . .  old stuff. . .  Santas. . .  Aliens. . .  A UFO. . .  Filming it for a DVD and live album. . .  Holy geez.

Someone put me in a coma and wake me up on September 15.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 15, 2006, 04:54 PM »
So I lied when I said DKM was next for me.

Tommorow I'm catching Marshal Tucker at the Altamont Fair, then friday is 311 at SPAC, and Saturday is Dropkick Murphys.

Wow.

Kevin

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #260 on: August 16, 2006, 04:32 PM »
Hey.  I'm  deciding if I should see the The Lips in NYC in Sept.  Tickets are a bit steep, but if a certain job I'm contracting for comes my way, I'll grab one.  I don't really go to concerts that much, but I love the Flaming Lips, and there shows look wild.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 04:33 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 17, 2006, 12:18 AM »
Marshal Tucker Show was pretty good, but the highlite of the night was AGAIN running in to Jeff the Drunk and the guy he was with from Sterns Show, and having them remember the girls I was with, and having a conversation.

Boy did he stink. :-X

Kevin

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
I MET THE DROPKICK MURPHYS!!!
« Reply #262 on: August 21, 2006, 12:21 AM »
My God. First The Welch Boys opened up the show, and rocked the house. They were really good, good enough in fact, to convince me to buy their CD. That was just the begining! Next up was "The Threat" or "A Global Threat", take your pick. I wouldn't buy their CD, but I'd see them in show again. Then after a 35 minute equptment change/ small riot with people hanging from the rafters, breaking the non-working ceiling fan, and sexurity using bottles of water to "controll" the crowd.

Then the lights went dark, and as the "Lets Go Murphys!" chants rose up from the crowd, "The Foggy Dew" by the Chieftans, with Sinead O'Connor on vocals started to play, and the crowd pushed forward, and they broke the house down! We had a real treat when Kay Hanley performed The Dirty Glass with the guys! They tore through a set list of some 25 songs before they even took a short (2 minute) intermission after The Spicy McHaggis Jig.

As soon as intermission ended, they performed "Teenage Wasteland" by The Who (which is my friend Nicks favorite band) and then after two songs from their latest Album 'The Warriors Code' they ended their show like they always do, with "Skinhead on the MBTA", The fans are allowed on stage. So everyone was jumping the rail but security was trying to stop it so by the time I made it, my boy Nick didn't get up, so I grabbed his arm and yanked him clear over the security guard and the rail and up on to the stage.

The band was ripping into the song, the microphone was passed around and we all got to help sing the song! It was the coolest thing I have ever experienced! Then, after the band ended the show, I shook the guitarists hand, and then helped Nick look for  his keys he lost crowd surfing. Then the band came back out to meet some of the fans, and rather than get autographs, I was fortunate to have a few short meaningful conversations with the guys from the band!

Man it was so sweet! My ears are still ringing, I'm bruised up pretty good from the pit, and I have more new T-Shirts than I know what to do with!

Kevin

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #263 on: August 21, 2006, 01:43 AM »
Hey.  I'm  deciding if I should see the The Lips in NYC in Sept.  Tickets are a bit steep, but if a certain job I'm contracting for comes my way, I'll grab one.  I don't really go to concerts that much, but I love the Flaming Lips, and there shows look wild.

You should go.  There's nothing quite like a Flaming Lips show.  I've been to three of them, and have had a smile on my face from the very beginning to the very end of each one.  The balloons, the confetti, the hand puppets, the Hulk fists, the animals (now aliens and Santas), the gigantic video screen, and if you're lucky, Wayne walking out over the crowd in an enormous inflatable balloon.  The music's great, as always, but the overall atmosphere makes their shows some of the most memorable ones I've ever been to. 

they performed "Teenage Wasteland" by The Who

Ahh, yes.  "Teenage Wasteland."

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #264 on: August 21, 2006, 02:41 AM »
Baba O'Riley?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #265 on: August 21, 2006, 02:46 AM »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #266 on: August 21, 2006, 03:21 AM »
I think it's a song by Gordon Lightfoot about a ship that sunk in the Great Lakes during a really bad storm... true story based off of the NCC-1701 Baba O'Riley.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #267 on: August 21, 2006, 10:18 AM »
I think it's a song by Gordon Lightfoot about a ship that sunk in the Great Lakes during a really bad storm... true story based off of the NCC-1701 Baba O'Riley.

Oh. . .  that Baba O'Riley.

It's just that I've always known it by it's full title:  "The Wreck of the Baba O'Riley."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #268 on: August 21, 2006, 10:57 AM »
I always thought Teenage Wasteland was a Pearl Jam song >:(

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 21, 2006, 12:17 PM »
Got tickets to the Godsmack/Rob Zombie show this weekend.  I'm stoked!
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate