Author Topic: A thread about concerts.  (Read 164709 times)

Virex

A thread about concerts.
« on: August 20, 2003, 10:23 AM »
I thought I'd. . .  uh. . .  create a thread about concerts.  Maybe list some of the concerts you've been to?  Maybe discuss your favorite, or most memorable show?  Maybe talk about a show that particularly sucked?  And maybe talk about upcoming shows you're looking forward to, or what artists are still on your "must-see" list.

Here's mine.  I think what I'll do is, list the headliner first, and then the opener last, if they were memorable.  (Oh, and all of the shows were in Oklahoma City unless otherwise noted):

• Guns N' Roses/Smashing Pumpkins, 4/6/92
  • Guns N' Roses/Metallica/Faith No More, Dallas, 9/5/92
  • The Black Crowes/The Jayhawks, 2/10/93
  • Aerosmith/Jackyl  :P 6/4/93
  • The Rolling Stones, Dallas, 11/18/94
  • The Black Crowes, May 1995
  • Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, 6/6/95
  • The Smashing Pumpkins, 11/23/96
  • "The Artist" (Prince), 8/5/97
  • Wilco, 11/5/97
  • Sarah McLachlan/Lisa Loeb, 3/17/98
  • Lilith Fair (Sarah McLachlan, Natalie Merchant, others), 7/1/98
  • H.O.R.D.E. Festival (Smashing Pumpkins, Ben Harper, others), 7/15/98
  • Tenacious D, April 2002
  • Sonic Youth, Dallas, 8/1/02
  • Wilco, Dallas, September 2002
  • Eyes Adrift, October 2002
  • Beck/The Flaming Lips, Dallas, 11/14/02
  • The Strokes, 11/15/02
  • Coldplay, 2/1/03
  • Pearl Jam/Sleater-Kinney, 4/3/03
  • The Flaming Lips/Liz Phair, 6/9/03
  • The Flaming Lips/Liz Phair, Dallas, 6/10/03

Next show:
  • Radiohead, Houston, October 1

There may be a few I'm leaving out, but I think I got most of 'em.  I'll post some other thoughts later on.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: A thread about concerts.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 10:31 AM »
Up coming concert!

;D  Shania Twain!   ;D  12-05-03, Edmonton, Alberta. In the round!   8)

Shania's Tour Schedule   :-*

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 11:38 AM »
Um, I'm going to see Poison, Vince Neil, and Skid Row on Aug. 30. I'm feeling like white trash already. It's at a speedway. I really need to get the **** out of this state.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2003, 02:29 PM »
I've been to sadly only 8 concerts (five of which by the same band) in my life:

Pearl Jam/Frank Black June 30, 1998 Target Center Minneapolis
Dave Matthews Band  August, 1999 Alpine Valley, Wisconsin
Joan Jett July, 2000 DePere Wisconsin
Pearl Jam/Supergrass October 8, 2000 Alpine Valley, Wisconsin
Guns n' Roses* November 15, 2002 Fargo Dome, North Dakota
Pearl Jam/Idlewild June 15, 2003 Fargo Dome, North Dakota
Pearl Jam/Idlewild June 16, 2003 Excel Center, Saint Paul
Pearl Jam/Buzzcocks June 21, 2003 Alpine Valley, Wisconsin

Best show was the last one I went to, PJ at Alpine Valley, it was one of the nicest days ever, taligating, great show, great seats...good time

Most memorable was the "Ice Bowl" Pearl Jam show of October, 2000...whoever thought it a good idea to schedule an outdoor night show in Wisconsin needs their head checked.  It was 28 degrees when the band went on stage with Hats, Gloves...also a great show

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2003, 03:07 PM »
Ah, I wish I could remember all the concerts I've been to. There have been hundreds. I will name some of the best ones, and you will be asleep before I'm done.

Just some of the memorable ones.

Sybil Vane: The first show I ever snuck into underaged. One of my friends convinced the guitarist to let us into the place, and because we couldn't drink we sat on their equipment off the stage and stayed very quiet for that night. It was very cool for me. At the RKCNDY in Seattle, which is no no more.

Mad Season at the Moore: (that show became the video and DVD) in 95 or 96. We met Mike McCready at an in store for the aforementioned Sybil Vane, and he put us on the guest list so we got to be in the second row. Very cool. Only time I ever saw Layne Staley live (and alive).

Super Deluxe and the Presidents at Moe in Seattle. What later became a Gay nightclub was a great concert venue. I remember going to this particular show because there was a big rumor the Foo Fighters were going to do a "Secret" set, but they did it the NEXT night. Man, we were mad. Still, Super Deluxe is always cool...and if you haven't heard them, go buy the CD.

+Live+ on their Throwing Copper tour. We followed them around the state, and it was a great road trip.

Sir Mix-a-lot and the Presidents at the Showbox. We saw them play a show together before they became "Subset". I have NEVER felt a concert floor shake as much as that one did.

Subset at about 12 different shows around Seattle. For about a year, when Sir Mixalot and the Presidents teamed up, they were one of my favorite bands. Why they never released an album is beyond me. It was excellent music.

Super Deluxe on New Years Eve in 1996. One of the best concerts I have ever been to. Seeing the band get drunk and try to do covers was great.

Weezer at DV8 in Seattle. One of three times I saw them perform at a smaller venue....but my first really bloody mosh pit injury. Mosh Pit at Weezer?  Yeah, for some reason.

Foo Fighters and RHCP at the Gorge. Seeing Dave Grohl climb up onto the top of a building was kind of funny.

No Doubt and Weezer at the Gorge: In my top 10 concerts ever. I never left the front of the pit, and it was just amazing. Gwen is better looking in person than on TV, and they did the imperial march  when they came in. How could I NOT love that.

EndFest 1999. I go just about every year, but this particular year was just really fun. Blink 182 and Everclear were the highlights for me. Oh, and as a sidenote, I have never seen more breasts at any concert in my life.

(no one probably cares about all this stuff, but I'm going to keep right on going).

Muzzle and Pris at dozens and DOZENS of shows. The first real act I caught in Seattle when I moved here. I've been watching these guys at various venues for about 8 or 9 years now. They've been on the edge, but never quite made it. Still great music though, and I'm probably going to see them again next week.

Super Deluxe, The Tycoons and Harvey Danger on Christmas Eve 1999. I think it was 99. Anyway, it was a REALLY small back alley club and they performed Christmas songs and a few of their hits. It seemed like at least one member from every Seattle band imaginable was there. Afterwards, I went and had a great Christmas.

REM at Bumbershoot. It wasn't the best REM show I've ever seen, but it was a great outdoor venue and a very nice night.

Super Deluxe and the Dandy Warhols at RKCNDY right before it turned into a dance club. The only reason this show was noteable was they had the retarded Real World kids at the show (they were filming in Seattle as you all know)...and they blocked off a whole section of the stage for those dorks to stage dive. What you DIDN'T see on TV is the little ******** getting booed right out of the place.

They Might Be Giants at Bumbershoot. We got to participate in one of their giant Conga lines, which is always amazing. My favorite TMBG concert so far.

The opening of the EMP. Oh man. Eminem, Dr. Dre, Snoop, Beck, Metallica, Matchbox 20, Subset, RHCP, No Doubt, James Brown, etc...etc..etc...
3 days of rock, rock, rock. It was just insane.  Oh, and I also saw big nasty Paul Allen chilling with Gina Gershon, (he even let her introduce a band). What a whore.  :)

Letters to Cleo with Sponge:  The one and only time I ever saw Cleo, one of my favorite bands of all time. Seattle radio wouldn't play them, but they came anyway. Kay Hanley is off doing solo records now, so I don't think they'll be back, but that remains one of my favorite shows of all time because it was the only time I got to see them before they split.

Suzanne Vega at some little Theater. This was one of those "Win your way in" performances. My girlfriend at the time got free tickets, there were about 100 seats (all lounge chairs) and it was just excellent. Remains the most laid back and "romantic" concert I have ever been to.

Tenacious D at the Paramount. Those guys just crack me up. The first time I saw them, they were opening for Weezer and I had no idea they'd be so good live. This time, they were the headliner, and their show was just SO much better. Great guys.

Michael Jackon's big Reunion show with his brothers in September 2001. Whitney, Britney, Destiny's Child, Macauely, Corey Feldman, Tito and Marlon Brando.  All in one building.  Yes, I flew to New York for this with my girlfriend. The scary thing is, I tried to change my flight out to the morning of September 11th (So we could stay and see the show on the 10th) but the penalties for change were too pricey, so we flew home on the 9th.
We did manage to visit the Twin Towers on the 9th though. I took lots of pictures, and they were gone before I ever sent the film in.

Other acts I've seen (some even several times) that weren't bad, but that didn't make huge impressions on me:

Pearl Jam
Counting Crows
Veruca Salt
PJ Harvey
Korn
Rancid
Bad Religion
The B52's
Blues Traveler
Ani Difranco
Moby
Brian Setzer
Santana
Soundgarden
The Cure
Tori Amos
Fuel
Poison (I particularly HATED that show)
John Secada or Enrique Iglesias. To this day I don't remember which one it was, but I know he SUCKED.
Madonna

Finally, Every Weird Al show I've ever seen. Weird Al remains my favorite artist of all time, and I've probably seen him play about 20 times. His show is always great, always funny, and it's just a great time. There's always new stuff he adds, but you can always sing along to the old stuff. I can't wait to see him again this summer when he finally comes to WA.

This is officially the longest post ever for me. I'm sorry.

Got Clones?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2003, 03:25 PM »
I've only been to 7:

-Green Day: 9/9/94 free concert on the Hatch Shell in Boston, they only played four songs before the crowd rushed the stage  ::).  It was actually my wife's and I first date.
- Aerosmith: Worcester Centrum 12/94
-Tom Petty and the HB: 2/95, the last concert at the old Boston Garden
-HORDE Fest: summer 96 with Blues Traveler, Lenny Kravitz, Rusted Root and King Crimson at Great Woods
-Lynard Skynard: summer 97, Great Woods
-Aerosmith: summer 97, Great Woods
-Aerosmith: summer 01, Tweeter Center (formerly known as Great Woods)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2003, 03:36 PM »
Here's what I can recall:

STADIUMS
-Pink Floyd at Olympic Stadium, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
-Grateful Dead with Sting at Giants Stadium

ARENAS
-Page & Plant (2 times) at MSG and the Continental Airlines Arena
-The Who - Quadrophenia Tour at Madison Square Garden, Joan Osborne opening
-Black Sabbath with Deftones & Pantera at the Continental Airlines Arena

AMPHITHEATERS/OUTDOORS
-Live with PJ Harvey & Veruca Salt at Jones Beach
-Miami Radio Festival with STP, Deftones, Filter, Local H, Veruca Salt, Nickleback-Miami, near the Arena
-Red Hot Chili Peppers with STP & Fishbone at the PNC Bank Arts Center
-Horde Festival with Blues Traveler, Black Crowes, Ziggy Marley, Joan Osborne, and others at Jones Beach

THEATERS
-King Crimson with John Paul Jones opening at the Beacon Theater
-Brian May with Joan Osborne opening at the Beacon Theater
-PJ Harvey (2 times as a headliner) at the Hammerstein Ballroom & a taping of Sessions at West 54th
-Verucas Salt (twice as headliner) at the Academy & The Hammerstein Ballroom
-Oasis (thrice) at the Hammerstein Ballroom, The Paramount at Madison Square Garden  & Roseland Ballroom
-Bon Jovi at Saturday Night Live

CLUBS
-John Entwistle at Tramps (NYC Club)
-Motocaster (three times) Maxwell's, Mercury Lounge & Irving Plaza
-The Fastbacks at Maxwell's
-Noel Redding at the Limelight
-Lee Rocker at the Wetlands
-The Reverend Horton Heatt (2 times) at the Limelight
-Sloan (3 times) at Maxwell's and the Bowery Ballroom
-The Donnas & OkGo at Irving Plaza
-Mr. Bungle at the Birch Hill
-Dread Zeppelin at the Wetlands
-Queen Adreena at Brownies
-The Candy Butchers with Holly McNarland & Tracy Bonham at the Bowery Ballroom
-The Band with Warren Zevon opening at The Stone Pony
-Henry Rollins (spoken word appearance) at an NYC Club (can't remember)
-Jason Falkner at Maxwell's
-Freedy Johnston at Maxwell's
-They Might Be Giants at Irving Plaza
-Les Paul Trio at Fat Tuesdays, NY, NY
-Michael Hedges with Michael Manring at The Bottom Line

..plus, countless independent bands that haven't been signed yet.  And, I just missed being able to see Sigur Ros when I was in LasVegas in the spring!  Damn!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 04:01 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2003, 04:22 PM »
OK, here are the shows I've been to:

Hootie & the Blowfish/John Hiatt-  Riverbend Music Center; Cincinnati, Ohio 7/23/96
Alanis Morissette - Riverbend Music Center; Cincinnati, Ohio  9/8/96
Sheryl Crow - Pine Knob; Rochester, Michigan  8/23/97
Dave Matthews Band - Firstar Center; Cincinnati, Ohio  11/21/98
Violent Femmes/George Clinton & the P-Funk All-Stars - University of Dayton Arena; Dayton, Ohio  4/9/99
Guided by Voices/Fastball/Citizen King/Joydrop/Men at Work/The Verve Pipe/Fuel/Jimmie's Chicken Shack - University of Dayton; Dayton, Ohio 9/12/99
Shania Twain - Firstar Center; Cincinnati, Ohio  10/23/99
Pearl Jam - Riverbend Music Center; Cincinnati, Ohio  8/20/00
Barenaked Ladies/Chantal Kreviazuk- Boulder Theater; Boulder, Colorado 3/9/01
Dave Matthews Band - Folsom Field; Boulder, Colorado 7/11/01
The Cranberries/Ryan Adams/Grant Lee Phillips - Fox Theatre; Boulder, Colorado  8/16/01
U2/No Doubt - Pepsi Center; Denver, Colorado  11/7/01
Grand Funk Railroad - Taste of Colorado Festival ; Denver, Colorado  9/2/02
Pearl Jam/Sleater Kinney - Pepsi Center; Denver, Colorado  4/1/03
Bon Jovi (sorry Scott ;) )/Goo Goo Dolls - Pepsi Center; Denver , Colorado 4/3/03
Michelle Branch - Fox Theatre; Boulder, Colorado  5/18/03
Coldplay/Eisley/Ron Sexsmith - Red Rocks Amphitheatre; Morrison, Colorado  6/6/03
Dion/Herman's Hermits/Little Anthony and the Imperials/Mike Smith/The Turtles/The Grassroots - Fiddler's Green; Englewood, Colorado  6/22/03
Hell's Belles (Female AC/DC Tribute band) - Fox Theatre; Boulder, Colorado  6/27/03
Dixie Chicks/Michelle Branch - Pepsi Center; Denver , Colorado 7/8/03
Sheryl Crow/Joe Firstman - Red Rocks Amphitheatre; Morrison, Colorado  8/9/03

Upcoming:
Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band - Invesco Field at Mile High; Denver, Colorado 9/25/03

I love catching Pearl Jam and Dave Matthews Band live - both put on excellent live shows!!

I'd love it if Shania would come into the area on this tour - no dates in the western US were included in the recent announcement.  :'(
« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 04:38 PM by Matt Carroll »
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2003, 04:58 PM »
How are you guys remembering all the dates?
Do you actually go to the websites and look those up?

I am impressed.
Got Clones?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2003, 04:58 PM »
I have most of the tickets up on my wall here at work ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2003, 05:06 PM »
Ticket keepers, I'm guessing.  I've kept quite a few tickets, but not all.  I'll check later at home.  Mine go back pretty far though.  I think my first concert was Nazareth way back in 1976.  Alice Cooper came through town at that time as well.  I really started going to more concerts starting in 1979.  

Notable concerts were Styx and the Guess Who reunion tour (V1.2).  Probably the two best live singers I have ever seen/heard were Dennis De Young of Styx and Burton Cummings from the Guess Who.  I've heard plenty of awful singers over the years.  

The most interesting historical concert I ever went to was Metallica, around 1981 in a tiny little hall called the Playhouse Theater.  Maybe 1200 people total, every single one wearing black except for me.  I was wearing a jean jacket.  Oops.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline carebear

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2003, 06:44 PM »
I have no clue the dates or timeframes but these are the ones I remember in no special order:

INXS
Don Henley
Hootie and the Blowfish
Metallica
R. Kelly (yah yah yah)
Boyz II Men
TLC
Billy Joel/Elton John
George Winston
Celine Dion
Too many old hip hop artists that I can't remember - especially when they all combine shows together
Alanis Morisette
9 Inch Nails - 3 times
Motley Crue
KMFDM
Smashing Pumpkins
Garth Brooks
Carrie Rhoads
DUSTRHO is my hubby!!!

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2003, 10:07 PM »
I went to quite a few concerts in college, here's what I can remember

Taproot
 Audioslave
 Slipknot x2
 Staind x3
 System of a Down
 Sevendust
 Korn x2
 Limp Bizkit
 Papa Roach
 Powerman 5000
 Static X
 Godsmack
 Primer 55 x2
 Kid Rock x2
 Vanilla Ice
 Spineshank
 Amen
 hed (pe)
 Nonpoint
 Kittie
 Method Man & Red Man
 Orgy
 Sugar Ray
 Incubus (before they sucked)
 Filter
 Reverend Horton Heat
 Mr. Bungle :-X
 Crystal Method (yawn)
 Stabbing Westward
 The Verve Pipe
 Steve Miller Band
 Doobie Brothers
 Hootie & The Blowfish
 They Might Be Giants

There's a lot more bands I've seen, most of them were either local bands or small time opening acts that aren't known

Oh yeah, I saw Radiohead in concert before they were cool ;)
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2003, 10:45 PM »
I've been to way too many shows to list. Some of the best: Tom Waits, Dead Can Dance, Fear Factory, Orb, Neurosis, Mr. Bungle, Gwar, Soulfly, Marilyn Manson, Sepultura, Afghan Whigs, Tom Jones, Faith No More, Reverend Horton Heat, Jane's Addiction, Public Enemy.

Most recent show, Fiend Fest with The Damned/ The Dickies/ DI/ Balzac/ Agnostic Front, and I won't even go into the Suckfits, because we didn't stay for them. Project 1950? How about Project Kiss My A**, I aint wasting my time. The Damned and Balzac were excellent, as were the Dickies, though. Fun show.
Carrie, collector of Tusken-y things.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2003, 10:52 PM »
Tom Waits, Mr Bungle, Faith No More and the Reverend Horton Heat?  Your stock just rose with me, Carrie!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback