Author Topic: A thread about concerts.  (Read 164771 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: A thread about concerts.
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2004, 12:33 AM »
Follow Up...JediMAX was really pumped all day yesterday, they got to the show and they were playing clips on the Jumbotrons up front.  He thought that was what they went to go see...the show started and he went nuts.  Singing, dancing, running all over.  He got a new Purple hat and loved every minute, until the show stopped.

He sat down in his chair, put his face in his hands and starting crying "Bring them back, Mommy! I love the Wiggles"  He's been pumped all day today though, he's a true fan and does his father proud.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2004, 12:29 PM »
Well, I just scored some pretty swell tickets for Norah Jones here in Oklahoma City.  At best, I'm a casual fan of hers, but my sister had expressed some interest in seeing her (and her husband couldn't care less), so when I saw these tickets were available, I pounced on them.  Should be a nice night, and now I'll have to pick up a copy of her new album, so I can be a little familiar with it before the show.

So here's my upcoming show schedule:

Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson - Friday, September 3rd
Wilco (in Dallas) - Friday, September 17th
Austin City Limits Music Festival - Saturday and Sunday, 9/18-19th (still up in the air)
Norah Jones - Wednesday, October 20th
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2004, 01:32 PM »
Uh oh - you're gonna be in Dallas? 

I'm seeing (also in Dallas):

The Queers on 9/3

and...

Franz Ferdinand on 9/14

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2004, 02:52 PM »
Uh oh - you're gonna be in Dallas?

I see more shows in Dallas than I do here, *****.

And I wouldn't mind seeing that Franz Ferdinand show, either.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2004, 06:38 PM »
You'd better check for tickets soon then, it's probably already sold out.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2004, 06:45 PM »
Where are they playing?  The Granada?  Gypsy Tea Room?  Trees? 

Some other place I don't know the name of, so I can't mention it to make myself seem cooler?

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2004, 08:54 PM »
Gypsy Tea Room.

I think you can probably get tickets through their website if it isn't sold out.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2004, 03:59 PM »
Siouxsie & the Banshees 9/15/2004
Cause & Effect, Iris 10/09/2004 (I booked this one) ;D
The Pixies 10/19/2004
Revolver1010, Solemn Assembly, unitcode:machine 11/27/2004 (this'n, too)

Offline Xentrix

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 6, 2005, 09:52 PM »
Top 10 concerts I have been too. Keep in mind that I am a closed-minded metal fan and have reduced my options to metal shows. No offense to other music, I just found my niche and stayed there. All venues are Denver Colorado...
10. Ozzy Osbourne (No More Tears song on the album), McNichols Arena with Sepultura (Max was fronting/Chaos AD) & Alice in Chains (AOC with dog on cover). Amazing! Ozzy was pretty good, but Sepultura ripped and Alice in Chains was amazing. Layne had a broken leg, so he hobbled out and kicked it on an old couch and belted everything out perfectly.
9. Judas Priest (Painkiller tour) McNichols Arena with Testament (Souls of Black) & Megadeth (Rust in Peace)
8. Sepultura - Roots (with Max) - Ogden Theatre & Sepultura - Beneath the Remains tour - Azatlan Theatre
7. Forced Entry, Atrophy & Coroner - Azatlan
6. Obituary - any
5. Vio-Lence & Defiance - Colorado indoor Sports Complex (like a high school gym).
4. Death, Pestilence & Carcass
3. Clash of the Titans - Red Rocks - year? - this was the order the bands appeared - Alice in Chains (Facelift tour), Anthrax (Persistence of Time), Megadeth (late Rust in Peace) & Slayer closed (Seasons in the Abyss)
2. Lamb of God - Headbanger's Ball Tour - Ogden Theatre - 2003.
1. Metallica - Ride the Lightning tour (1984-85) with Armored Saint (March of the Saint - the old band that John Bush of Anthrax used to front) at the Rainbow Music Hall (seating capacity was 500 max). General admission and sat (stood and headbanged is more like it) 9th row center.

I remember how bad my chest hurt after that Priest show, the double bass was soooo loud!!!
 That Ozzy show was killer with ALice in Chains, We had damn good seats for that show, one of the best ever!!

Didnt we see Forced Entry with Obituary??? Seeing Obituary with Phil of Baldo Rex, it was like Homer Simpson Eating the hot Pepper episode.

Did you get to see Death at the Fox??????
How about posting that drawing you did of Armored Saint???? I am laughing right now remembering that...........

Iron Maiden rules!!!!!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 6, 2005, 11:24 PM »
Next concert will be Motley Crue ;)

The loudest show I've ever been to was in a bar.  A buddy and I went to see Molly Hatchett.  Long since fallen from the arena show, they played in front of maybe 300 people.  It was loud during the show, but not terribly exceptional. 

The encore was insane.  We were standing maybe 100 feet from the stage and the band urged everyone to "not be shy" and get closer to the stage.  We were then maybe 25 feet away and they started playing.  Well obviously the sound guy cranked it well past 11.  We were in awe, the sound was so loud you could feel it through your entire body and you could actually feel your t-shirt flapping behind you because of the waves of sound.  I thought my ears were bleeding, honestly, I kept touching them just to check:o

We left after the show and were walking down the street, apparently yelling at each other pretty loudly, because we were attracting a lot of attention.  Next day at work I was sitting there "talking" to someone in my office, more like reading lips, when they asked if I was going to answer my phone - I never heard it ring :D

Very cool :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #130 on: January 6, 2005, 11:27 PM »
When I came back from my second Pearl jam show in 2 days my ears were ringing for a good long time.  They are not really that loud but I think it accumulates

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 6, 2005, 11:28 PM »
What?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #132 on: January 6, 2005, 11:45 PM »
Que?

Anyway, there's a really bitchin' venue here called the Reverb. It mostly gets in ****** Hot Topic bands full of 18-year-old twats, but sometimes they get in really good bands. Anyway, the place is so damn loud that every time I go to a show, it's guaranteed I can't hear normal conversation at all for a few hours.

One could argue it's from the bands having more volume than talent, though.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 6, 2005, 11:56 PM »
I haven't been to any shows since the last Pearl Jam mini tour I went on. I can remember when I lived closer to NYC (and was a bit younger) my friends and I would go over into the city every weekend and check out bands. Used to be $1 and a 15 minute train ride. God, I miss those days. Now, I'm lucky if I go to shows more than once to twice a year, Pearl Jam notwithstanding (any time they play anywhere near me, I'm there. And sometimes I travel to see them - Philly, Boston, Washington DC, etc.) - but outside of PJ I can't remember the last band I went to see...

I think I'm just too old to deal with all the kids that show up at some of these concerts. Pearl Jam usually attracts an audience that is about in my age range, which is kinda odd if you think about it, because they should be drawing some younger kids, but they don't, really.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 7, 2005, 12:01 AM »
I've got a buddy that is pretty well connected with the local concert promoters, so we tend to hit quite a few shows, but we can't always mesh, so I've missed quite a few as well. 

Last concerts I've been to would be

Van Halen
Metallica
Kiss
AC/DC
Ozzy - twice
Alice Cooper (got get that pic from him that we had taken with Alice)

Lots of minor shows as well, Canadian bands that were big in the 80s all play the bars, so we get to see them fairly often and I've been able to meet a few of them Headpins, Toronto, Harlequin, The Pumps, Kick Axe - can't remember the rest now.