Author Topic: Star Wars Rebels - Season 3 (Spoilers)  (Read 44299 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Rebels - Season 3 (Spoilers)
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2017, 12:44 AM »
I thought the whole "retreat" was kind of odd in and of itself...  I liked the Imperial blockade preventing them leaving the system, but the story just went odd from there to me.

Well, I love how a blockade of a planet means just placing a bunch of ships on one side of it, instead of surrounding the thing.  Why not just slip out of the backside of the planet?

I know, it's a cartoon... but it was the same in Phantom Menace and Empire...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 12:45 AM by P-Siddy »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2017, 02:36 PM »
Never understood that myself...  ESB we see so little, it's tough to say what's going on, but yeah, why couldn't you just zip around the planet quickly and sneak out the other side?  Is there a whole other fleet over there?  Are groups of Destroyers just sitting waiting around the entire thing?  Is that how Naboo was too?  Is that what Hoth was like? 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2017, 04:29 PM »
This has been a  ??? for me ever since the OT. This happens at Hoth and Endor, where the Rebel fleet is ostensibly trapped, yet can escape by simply going up or down. There are numerous shots in the finale that show maddening gaps in the blockade of Attolan (sp?) and opportunities for the Rebels to escape. A true blockade would be similar to the planetary one of Naboo in TPM but much more aggressive. I get it's a resource thing with numbers of ships you don't need to go nuts with assets, you just need shots that show the blockade is globular and impenetrable. Shots from a distance, from the poles, the surface, etc.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2017, 05:29 PM »
At Endor, I can buy that the effects are what they are and they couldn't encircle everything in ships because it's just a ton of work to do that...  If you do stills, there are all these tiny overlays of ships in the background that when the film's running you can't really see them but they're there.  And it's still not enough, but I can buy that the intent was there that the Rebel Fleet is trapped between the DSII and all the Imperial capital ships (and the moon) and breaking out is tough...  I can buy that there's a ton of interdictors strategically placed there and stuff.

And I guess that's possible with the toon too...  I mean the ground battle shows little stuff, few characters/items but ultimately I guess it can be assumed a lot more are there than we see and it's just not in the budget to animate 300,000 Stormtroopers, 20 AT-ATs, 100 AT-DPs, etc.

At the end of the day Star Wars always has the "how did they wear their clothes under the Stormtrooper armor" plot hole. :)  But I felt like Rogue One did a far better job on combat and this just kind of was meh.  Bendu was beyond stupid.  Then again I felt Bendu was stupid from the first moment they introduced him.  Likewise was Maul's turd that won't flush scenario (though I did enjoy Kenobi's ending his story).

Naboo had large gaps too but I seem to recall ships being relatively spread out...  Hoth, they really just don't show much of anything for you to pick it apart I guess.  At least they didn't get to space, meet the enemy, then somehow be allowed to retreat back to the planet.  THAT doesn't strike me as plausible unless Thrawn was just dicking around with them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2017, 09:22 AM »
Never understood that myself...  ESB we see so little, it's tough to say what's going on, but yeah, why couldn't you just zip around the planet quickly and sneak out the other side?  Is there a whole other fleet over there?  Are groups of Destroyers just sitting waiting around the entire thing?  Is that how Naboo was too?  Is that what Hoth was like? 

The blockade of Naboo stuck out as curious to me, too.

But in the case of the blockade of Attalon?  I think they actually covered that from a story point within the episode with the orbital bombardment.  It really did come across as quite a devastating attack as it happened.  Kanan very nearly did not make it back to the base because of that bombardment.  And if ships did attempt to make their way around the planet for another angle of escape?  I would think that the orbiting blockade would be able to detect the movement and either take it out with another orbital barrage or intercept the escaping ship.  Sublight engines would limit the speed of the vessel that's flying in the atmosphere, while a ship in orbit could probably move much quicker to intercept that ship on it's escape path.

I did find the Mandalorians taking out the second Interdictor to be a bit of a stretch.  I got the sense that the Gauntlet may have fired on the Interdictor before deploying the raiding party.  I think the one point where it may have been plausible is that Sabine and her warriors used the rockets from their jetpacks to finish the job.  I could see the potential for that to disable the ship.  But destroying it?  That only seems like a possibility if the Interdictor generators are such a volatile type of tech that the operation of their gravity wells have the potential to jeopardize the entire ship.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2017, 11:26 AM »
Wtf is a "gravity well" anyway and wouldn't they have made more than 2 of them and wouldn't they have come in handy at Scarif or either of the Death Stars? That is some silly retconning.

I loved the finale. I thought the space battles were the best we have seen on this show so far. I loved the heightened level of danger...was expecting at least one of the mains to buy it at least. Between battle droids, incompetent badly aiming Stormtroopers etc the villains have largely had a comical feel to them. But that orbital bombardment was no joke.

Did Hera call Kanan "love" at one point?

I'm all about weird Force stuff so Bendu-Gone-Wild was a treat for me. Pretty lame they could just shoot him down though. One day I will start the ultimate custom project and create my own Bendu to scale. Because Hasbro sucks and I'm still waiting on my Zillo beast.   :D

Thrawn looked so beyond stupid in that ridiculous helmet it shattered his whole mystique. I loved Kallus telling him he talked too much though, because he does.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 29, 2017, 12:09 PM »
Wtf is a "gravity well" anyway and wouldn't they have made more than 2 of them and wouldn't they have come in handy at Scarif or either of the Death Stars? That is some silly retconning.

The Interdictor Star Destroyers were actually an EU creation that got introduced into REBELS, and this is only the second time ships like these have turned up on the show.  These ships were more specialized than standard Imperial Class Star Destroyers, and they were intended to prevent starships from jumping to hyperspace.  But I got the sense that they're also more vulnerable to attack than the Imperial class, and that's why Thrawn positioned them to the rear of the fleet.

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2017, 02:50 PM »

At the end of the day Star Wars always has the "how did they wear their clothes under the Stormtrooper armor" plot hole. :) 

They didn't. Their clothes were in Chewbacca's satchel*, duh. Lord, some folks just have to have every little thing explained to them.  ::)

*Yes, including their boots. Chewie's satchel is bigger on the inside.   ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #158 on: March 29, 2017, 04:06 PM »
Yet it stayed so flat and fashionable too.  Form fit and function

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2017, 10:52 AM »

At the end of the day Star Wars always has the "how did they wear their clothes under the Stormtrooper armor" plot hole. :) 

They didn't. Their clothes were in Chewbacca's satchel*, duh. Lord, some folks just have to have every little thing explained to them.  ::)

*Yes, including their boots. Chewie's satchel is bigger on the inside.   ;)

Would you call that a "Murse"?

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2017, 01:54 PM »
More of a Wurse

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 30, 2017, 04:56 PM »
The ads for them "What's the Wurse that could happen?"

Which sounds better in Wookie.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2017, 05:32 PM »
The Interdictor Cruiser is super old EU, but super fun stuff too...  Were they at Endor, and other planets?  Tough to say.  Scarrif seemed to be set up for defense, not attack (IE: blockade of a planet) which is what IC's do.  The big half circles are the gravity well generators.  They didn't work in EU like they do on the toon where they sort of "snap back" a ship trying to leave.  They simply caused gravity wells artificially so a ship couldn't hyper out...  IE: like a planet is in its way.

They are, however, a far weaker ship.  They're significantly smaller than a Star Destroyer, more in line with a Victory-Class Destroyer, which was also an EU vessel pulled from concept art for ISD's from the OT.  They were supposedly a late Clone Wars Era vessel, like a lot of things in the EU that basically Lucas decided to ignore rather than intelligently pull from and integrate if even in small doses (like Y-Wings, Z-95s and other stuff).

At Endor like I mentioned before, the battle was intended to be MUCH larger, but effects such as they were at the time, left a lot of things as simple specks of a background overlay that got more and more complex shots layered atop it.  If you look close though you can see ships that appear a GREAT distance from the battle taking place...  It's kind of neat.  Same can be said of the Rebel Fleet at the end of ESB actually.  Tons of ships, just some are way far off it seems and hard to make out the specifics.  But it's totally plausible Interdictors were at Endor but held a distance away...  which was kind of what Konstantine's vessel was doing till he decided to break rank like a ninny.  They could take on a smaller ship...  And while that "carrier" is big, if it's anything like a ship that existed in EU that basically served the same purpose, it was a weaker vessel and relied mostly on what came out of its hangar than what it had as its own weaponry.  So the Interdictor going after it for a kill is kind of silly but possible.

Interdictors could be relatively easily taken out by Y-Wings and B-Wings though, in games anyway which had pretty good balance to them. 

As far as numbers there seemed to be plenty in the gaming world but two at a battle would've been ample to bog down anyone fleeing the scene too.  They're kind of neat...  I believe they too may have been derived from concept art for Destroyers.  Not positive on that though, but for some reason I'm thinking they are/were.

I'd like to see some Victory-Class Destroyers and some of the Venator-Class peppered into the show, personally.  Something to imply they're there and in service in some capacity.  Just like in Rogue One a Juggernaught was in use, I like to think these other larger ships are still serving a purpose in the Empire.  Hell, if you went by EU the Empire has Corellian Cruisers of various types, and the Nebulon B and its brethren are actually Imperial-born ships too, all part of pickets and larger fleets.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 2, 2017, 04:34 PM »
I remember in EMPIRE AT WAR (not the expansion) the computer AI would build lots of interdictors and send them as part of a failed attack fleets in the Galactic Conquest mode.  At one isolated planet with only level 2 or 3 station (meaning no capital ships could be be built) I wiped them out time and again with the Rebel corvettes and fighters. Why the AI wasn't buidling victories and venators, I've no idea. The AI liked to built gobs of the TIE scouts, too.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile