Author Topic: Star Wars Rebels - Season 3 (Spoilers)  (Read 44050 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Rebels - Season 3 (Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 03:03 PM »
I think that aspect of Thrawn's story may be an interesting plot point in how he gets developed in REBELS.  That Imperial governor went to Tarkin requesting assistance.  And it seems that Tarkin in turn assigned Thrawn to deal with the Spectre cell.  Tarkin is a major player in the Empire.  So is he using an ace up his sleeve in Thrawn?  Or does he see Thrawn as a rival, and is trying to set him up to fail?

As for the xenophobia of the Empire, it seems that Mas Amedda was still an incredibly highly placed individual in the Imperial apparatus.  But individuals like Thrawn and Mas Amedda may be more the exception than the rule.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 03:27 PM »
They are/were, even by the EU's standards, fitting that Nazi-motif.  The EU just slipped in that Thrawn and his species have a slightly higher level of acceptance, and while most Chiss don't rise to that kind of level, Thrawn was able to because of the man he was.

If you're sticking with the Nazi thing though...  Even the Nazi's relaxed their rules as to who can be in and who can't.  There were SS regiments formed in conquered territories, there were men in the upper echelon of the Reich who didn't believe in the Nazi ideals but who were just good soldiers.  Many of them died on this very week (Operation Valkyrie), actually.  I've always viewed Thrawn as the Erwin Rommel of the Empire...  Educated, intelligent, not always an insider with the Nazi party but a valued officer, and one who saw the faults of the Nazis themselves, and that they were simply bad people.

The only thing I don't like, which I mentioned, was THrawn's place as a GA too early.  If they'd had him at a lower level like his EU story played out, I think it'd make him even more threatening because you could play his ambition card...  As a GA, Thrawn is really pretty close to Tarkin but in separate branches more or less.  I'd have liked to have seen things done differently but the show's rumored to not last as long as TCW did and so maybe they're not wanting to get too complex with names/titles and stuff.

They kept a lot of Thrawn's background though.  His studying his enemies, his art collection, etc.  They're wanting that element the Thrawn Trilogy had of Thrawn being just as deadly and threatening as anyone, but without force abilities and just a purely strategic mind.  I love that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 03:37 PM »
While we're on the topic of Thrawn and tactics, did the portion of the trailer dealing with him manage to squeeze some TIE Interceptors in there?

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 03:53 PM »
I thought they were a different ship, actually.  But given the A-Wing's old EU reworking to be a pre-ANH ship and them taking that, I'd not be shocked to see Ints making the rounds too as they were also pre-ANH ships in the EU.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 04:55 PM »
Sorry if people have already seen this, but there is a nice season 3 fight scene here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWzTlJ-7PL0
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 10:21 AM »
Dave Filoni spoke briefly about the Ysalamiri during the REBELS panel at SWCE.  And he specifically mentioned a conversation that he had with George Lucas on the Ysalamiri.  The conclusion they came to was that the effect that the Ysalamiri had with this "Force bubble" didn't make sense in their interpretation of The Force.  As a result the Ysalamiri wouldn't be carried forward in the way they were depicted in the Thrawn trilogy of books.

I don't see why they couldn't...I totally understood how Zahn set up the ysalimiri and their defense mchinism of repelling the Force as a way to hide from the vornskyr who track prey by using the Force.  Granted, they were a plot device, but at least they were well conceived and believeable.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 03:17 PM »
Filoni said it in that clip.  All living beings help to create The Force.  Qui-Gon helped describe some of the basics of The Force when he was speaking with Anakin in Episode I, and Yoda did with Luke in TESB as well.  Plus, between George Lucas and Dave Filoni, they both agreed that a being like the Ysalamiri that could negate The Force would go against the overall concept of The Force being generated by all living things. 

I'm not trying to crap all over Timothy Zahn's work.  But I think that plot points like this Ysalamiri one are indicative of a weakness that Lucasfilm had with the old EU.  Because it really seemed like there was not a guiding force back in the 90's when the Thrawn trilogy was written to guide story points like this one.  But in the current era we have the Lucasfilm story group looking at the big picture and steering things in a cohesive fashion.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 03:40 PM »
There absolutely was no guidance throughout that...  Hell, Lucas only stepped into TCW periodically and not even at the onset of it, but only once he got a glimpse at what was going on it seemed.

I knew someone who worked within LFL, and he said it was unreal how little "care" went into stuff sometimes.  Just a rubber stamp process more or less, and Lucas just let others run the empire.  It's kind of funny to see how he got (seemingly) a tad huffy with Disney, who in my view are just like the EU rubber stamp process except they decided to pay to take it all over and not have Lucas possibly intervene when he decided to.

I think the Ysillimarri would've/could've worked.  I mean, this isn't set in stone stuff after all.  And I think there is a nod to them there in the shot.  In my little world they exist and maybe the force protection is their manifestation of using the force for themselves.  They're so far back in Thrawn's life that I doubt he'd have been using them at that point.  I feel as though he'd only have used them in the era his story was basically overwritten by the new stuff.  That's just me though.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 11:01 AM »
Filoni said it in that clip.  All living beings help to create The Force.  Qui-Gon helped describe some of the basics of The Force when he was speaking with Anakin in Episode I, and Yoda did with Luke in TESB as well.  Plus, between George Lucas and Dave Filoni, they both agreed that a being like the Ysalamiri that could negate The Force would go against the overall concept of The Force being generated by all living things. 

I'm not trying to crap all over Timothy Zahn's work.  But I think that plot points like this Ysalamiri one are indicative of a weakness that Lucasfilm had with the old EU.  Because it really seemed like there was not a guiding force back in the 90's when the Thrawn trilogy was written to guide story points like this one.  But in the current era we have the Lucasfilm story group looking at the big picture and steering things in a cohesive fashion.

I get you point, and I've thought way too long and hard about this stuff over the better part of the last 40 years, but I still find the Ysalimiri plausible.  They may not necessarily negate the force, but, as a defense mechinism, developed a way from hiding their presence in the force which could negate a force user's abilities in a certain radius as a secondary effect.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 04:17 PM »
There are many references to the ability to "hide one's self within the Force" in the Plagueis novel. He pretty much does it all the time whenever he meets a Jedi. But that is not an innate ability nor is it foolproof, nor biological in origin.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 04:46 PM »
Yoda brings it up, too.  He said in the PT "Hard to see the Dark Side is".  And Palpatine was able to hide in plain sight from the Jedi as well.   But that seemed more like an active attempt to deceive the Jedi.

Other things over the years have come into question.  Like in KOTOR with both Revan and the Jedi Exile.  Both of them were supposedly cut off from The Force by the Jedi.  I don't think the story group has said at this point if either of those stories are canon or not.  But those plot points from the games do make you wonder a bit about The Force.

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2016, 07:27 AM »
It looks like a fan favorite Mandalorian from the CLONE WARS animated series will be returning as a featured player on REBELS season 3.

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2016, 10:18 AM »
It looks like a fan favorite Mandalorian from the CLONE WARS animated series will be returning as a featured player on REBELS season 3.

Nice! Seems like a good shot to finally get an action figure of her.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2016, 02:24 PM »
Like how we got an animated Tarkin.  :(

Debbie Downer moment.  :P

Her being a mando increases her chances, I guess.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2016, 05:07 PM »
My kids and I are stoked about the Season 3 premier on Saturday night.  Can't wait to see how big of a role Thrawn plays in this and if we'll see Ahsoka again.