Author Topic: Star Wars Rebels - Season 3 (Spoilers)  (Read 44256 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Star Wars Rebels - Season 3 (Spoilers)
« Reply #120 on: March 5, 2017, 08:50 PM »
Pretty good episode.  Finally, Dantooine comes into play.

We get to see the TIE defender...I want one for my collection!

That shot of the Star Destroyers getting damaged by the explosion was prety cool.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2017, 01:28 AM »
Double-Penetration Droid   :o

Okay, we have the imperial controller lobot-headset wearer, apparently based on Pablo Hildago, who wears glasses...have we see much of that in the Star Wars?

Vanessa Marshall voice-acting triple time...the other inventory droid...good...the imperial tech...not so good (too recognizable, too Hera-like).

Oh, AP-5 and Chopper as stars, so you know it was great. That's not sarcasm.  8)
AP-5 is even more like Marvin from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy than usual.

Nice to see Wedge again....going to the "refresher". Star Wars restroom...at last!

Felt like we didn't need Ezra, though. We get so much of him and his force-shmorce played no role here.

The end was too convenient...magically make the imperial ship go kablooie! And daaayum...Hera, you stone cold killed those folks.  >:D Let's not forget that lobot-Rodian who worked for the Empire even though he didn't want to...some of those people could've been like that. Oh, well.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:38 AM by Scockery »

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Watched the latest episode, "Twin Suns" via DisneyXD app

The "Good":
- breathtaking visuals again - very cinematic
- the score brought back familiar PT and OT themes that instantly draw you into the universe
- Stephen Stanton's spot on Obi-Wan, scary good
- Final scene of Obi-Wan overlooking the homestead

The "Bad":
- they spent too much time with Ezra in this episode
- I can't help but think they botched the Maul stuff. It just did't have the emotional payoff I was looking for. He was built up so much in the Clone Wars and his re-introduction into Rebels it ultimately fizzled out in the end, IMO.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2017, 04:44 PM »
***SPOILERS***

I can definitely see how some will feel let down by the final duel between Obi / Maul and Maul's arc in total. This one is going to be super divisive I think. I loved the duel. I loved the samurai nature of it (quick and to the point) and the abrupt, but inevitable finality of it. A duel on the scale of TPM of some of the later CW ones wasn't possible and I don't think would have been fitting. Their initial duel was driven by ego as much as a physical prowess that neither still possessed. I also half way think Maul offered himself up in that final move which was very similar to the one where Obi halved his saber in TPM; only then, Obi didn't take advantage of the clear opportunity to kill Maul and instead kicked him away, prolonging the duel out of a sense of perpetuating his anger and justice. Here, a wiser and more humble Obi-Wan dispatches him without any pyrotechnics.

I was also struck by Obi-Wan's seeming empathy for Maul at the very end. I think it shows truly who he is. Also, Maul's final line: 'He will avenge us.' Who exactly is us? Obi-Wan and Maul? I was very moved by it. Unexpectedly so.

Agree with all the good points - amazing visuals and direction. Stephen Stanton - WOW. Sam Witwer - amazing as always. I think the biggest problem with Ezra and all these characters is they're simply conduits for us to experience the greater story of the main arc which the Skywalker Saga. This really came home for me in RO. That movie and this show are really just tours through major aspects of continuity featuring characters we have more of an investment in and not so much about the characters in the film at all, although Rebels has been doing more to develop its mains this year.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Nice that Ezra disobeyed orders and lost the Alliance a valuable A-Wing fighter. Someone needs to knock that teenage twit down a peg.

Cartoon vehicle occupancy rules...the A-Wing can fit a small astromech behind the seat.

Did the A-Wings have hyperspace drives before?

Chopper went along hoping to see Ezra die...and least that's my theory.

James Arnold Taylor was robbed...I thought he could an older Obi-Wan. Not that Stanton wasn't good.
"I don't recall owning a dewback. I do recall pwning Maul!"

Maul, what was the point of it all?

Did Ezra find Maul's ship? Using jedi magic?

Overall, shrug-worthy. I had no attachment to Maul. And I'm hating Ezra more and more.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2017, 01:01 AM »
I also thought there was too much Ezra.

I very much enjoyed the Obi Wan / Maul interaction. I liked the short duel and as Darby said was unexpectedly moved by Maul's death and last words.

I am however upset with both Jayson and Darby for not letting the first thing I got to read in this thread being what sucked about the episode by Scockery as it normally is
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2017, 01:44 AM »
There was basically a season's worth of set-up for a duel that lasted three hits.

I was glad to see Ben Kenobi, finally.  Odd that Organa has been telling everyone that Kenobi died...but I only say that in how Kenobi was covered in Rogue One.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2017, 10:44 AM »
I watched the episode a couple of times, and I just watched Rebels Recon.  FWIW, Rebels Recon does give some tremendous insight into how the episodes are made.  And I think it was an excellent episode.

I caught a line of dialogue from one of the Rebels at Chopper base that said Bail Organa had said Obi-Wan Kenobi was dead.  I think that was disinformation on Bail's part to help keep Obi-Wan's seclusion a secret.  And regarding the A-wing?  The deck officer told Ezra that a trainer was ready to go when he left Chopper base, and that's the A-wing they took to Tatooine.  The run-in with that Tusken Raider was done pretty well, from Ezra fighting the one with the gaffi stick, to the snipers taking shots at them from the ridge, and blowing up the A-wing.

I like how they depicted Tatooine.  The hills were a lot like the Jundland wastes, and there was that arch that seems to have popped up in the pod race as well as Anakin's search for Shmi.  But the desolate wastelands and sandstorms?  That's the Tatooine that I think we never really saw in places like the homestead or Mos Eisley.

The holocron does seem to be a somewhat ambiguous plot device.  And it seems based on what Obi-Wan told Ezra that the intentions of a holocron can mimic the desires of those who would seek it's knowledge.

As for Obi-Wan?  I like that the message form of Obi-Wan was shown as a kind of connective tissue to the past.  And they didn't shy away from depicting an OT era Obi-Wan Kenobi.  I also think that Stephen Stanton did an amazing job with the part that was true to OT Obi-Wan.  That was really what the character needed to be like.  He had Maul's game pretty well figured out before he even saw Maul in the camp.  And he also measured Maul up pretty well in the duel.  It was over quickly, like a classic Samurai duel.  Maul's last move was like one he use on Naboo.  He tried to hit Obi-Wan with the saber hilt the same way he hit Qui-Gon before Maul ran him through.  Obi-Wan saw that coming and countered it, ending the duel.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2017, 12:22 PM »

I was also struck by Obi-Wan's seeming empathy for Maul at the very end. I think it shows truly who he is. Also, Maul's final line: 'He will avenge us.' Who exactly is us? Obi-Wan and Maul? I was very moved by it. Unexpectedly so.

I took this to be Maul realizing that he, and in a way Obi-Wan, were both used by Sidious, the Jedi, and perhaps the Force itself. And that use is what led them both down the path they found themselves on, as well as the larger path the Galaxy and the Force were on. Luke as the Chosen One can/will fix this, but of course from a Dark-sider's pov that will be an avenging.

Did Ezra find Maul's ship? Using jedi magic?

Obi-Wan directed Ezra to go north, likely he knew where Maul's ship was - whether by the Force or his own eyes.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2017, 12:48 PM »
Quote from: GrandMoffNick link=topic=24295.msg599423#msg599423 date=1489899712}

I am however upset with both Jayson and Darby for not letting the first thing I got to read in this thread being what sucked about the episode by Scockery as it normally is

;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:49 PM by Darby »

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2017, 03:26 PM »
Wasn't able to catch the full episode, but did find an excerpt of the Obi Wan/Darth Maul confrontation scene elsewhere online, which was what I really wanted to see.  I loved it.  Stephen Stanton did an awesome job recreating Alec Guinness' voice and the OT Obi Wan's character.  Despite the fact that the character was animated, it was a believable characterization that fits in with the OT films.  The more "limited" fight seemed very fitting as well...  It plays into Episode IV well where his fight with Vader was pretty static.  It would not have made sense for him and Maul to have taken out across the desert in a wild fight.  Obi Wan is older and presumably has had time to reflect and practice his sword arts into a fine craft...  I enjoyed the reference to him guarding Luke - the "Chosen One."

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2017, 09:29 PM »

I know, right? Other people actually watched this episode.  Weird.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2017, 11:32 PM »
I watched the last two eps this weekend and I really liked the one with AP-5.  It's tempting me to repaint the droid from the Clone Wars line because it's to a T the AP-5 character just silver.  I think that one can be had for cheap from China if you look around on Ebay and AP seems to be a sort of purplish color, but not quite black. 

He's quickly becoming one of my more liked characters on the show.

I generally don't care for Rebels overall.  I think it's just not nearly on par with TCW which had horrid episodes too, but this just seems to have a lot more appeal for kids maybe, and a lot less for adults.  That said this last two eps were great I thought.  Whoever voiced Kenobi was spot-on.  I liked the abrupt ending even, actually.  I liked that they played up Maul's more complex character that's been made since TCW (whether I felt good about that choice or not, they ended it on a high note).  Lots of good all around.

I assume Kenobi's directions to Ezra about going NOrth and stuff and finding his way home meant Maul's ship.  OWK seemed quite aware of Maul.  Again that played well into the quick death I felt...  Kenobi's seasoned at this point, far more like Yoda than the OWK of the Clone Wars.  The dying line Maul had was pretty great too.  The Dark Side is nothing but misery.  It's nothing but bad even for the people who embrace it, almost like drug addiction or something.

I enjoyed these two eps.  I still hate Ezra.  I hate Zeb generally.  Kanan I'm not wild about.  Sabine I'm 50/50 on.  Chopper, AP, and Hera are the only steadfastly good things about the show, to me.  Well that and designs are all over that I really want to translate into toys.  Ships, boxes, weapons, etc.

Oh and now glasses are in Star Wars on Lobot's father?  That's odd.  We've never seen anyone else using them, but him?  Hmmm. ???
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Oh and now glasses are in Star Wars on Lobot's father?  That's odd.  We've never seen anyone else using them, but him?

Glasses are old school Star Wars...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2017, 11:33 AM »
Loved the quick saber battle!

The only thing that really bugged me was when Ezra made it back to the rebel base and didn't mention Obi-Wan to anyone.  You would have thought finding a Jedi Master would have been big news he would want to share the second he landed.  I would have thought Ob-Wan would have told Ezra not to share this info, or maybe he would have got back to base and had a conversation with Kanan or Bail and they would have come to a similar conclusion of leaving Obi-Wan alone.