Author Topic: Taking Back Our Hobby  (Read 27810 times)

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Back Our Hobby
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2017, 12:50 PM »
You are blessed.

I wouldn't have known about anything today if not for Twitter. In a nutshell, Paul Harrison posted a lengthy post asking people not to post derogatory comments - like the ones he routinely does. It's laudable, except he is the primary instigator in the toxic atmosphere at that site. It's his brand. So people came with receipts and he's getting called out for his hypocrisy.

Yeah, I don't use Twitter either.  I think that was a good decision.  I'm weaning myself off of Facebook too - trying to work up the guts to just delete my account.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2017, 12:57 PM »
I think back to him obnoxiously taking credit for the Vintage Collection returning in 2018.  As if all of his whinging and complaining were solely responsible for swaying Hasbro's decision making process to bring the line back.  It's that over the top bull**** that makes him unbearable purely in the realm of collecting. 

But when you add in all of the politics and his own personal issues that get trudged up in the followup to his articles?  Calling the comments section at JTA a dumpster fire would be an insult to dumpster fires everywhere.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2017, 03:21 PM »
Any of you have a link to this?  I'm not on twitter and I rarely go anywhere but JD when it comes to the hobby.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 04:44 PM »
JTA's post on commentary -

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/2017-09-14-jta-public-service-announcement-cut-the-crap/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

My open field tackle of same -

https://twitter.com/DarbyHarn/status/908439859005739009

The Jyn comment what triggered this thread last year. Others have also thrown this back at him, at his own site.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:49 PM by Darby »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 05:37 PM »
What I lol'd at on the Jyn comment was some asshat saying "well that was posted without context!"

And yes it was taken out of the context it was posted...  but the context didn't improve it.

He said it because he was pissed off that Disney had another female lead and was railing about that, and then just decided to toss out a little intolerance of Muslims because the friggin character had a scarf on.  You cannot be a bigger example of "triggered" over something so petty and stupid.

Right, left, center...  it was just stupid to say.

His rebuttal?  "I won't apologize over my comment because it's against a religion that oppresses women and blah blah blah".  Nice spin attempt.  ::)

It's drama.  It's ignorance.  But there is a good bit more going on too.

There is the efforts by them personally shine a spotlight on leaking news in the lead up to Force FridayII, for social media leaks but also to throw under the bus peers in the collecting site world.  that was some pretty petty stuff in and of itself.  But then with every story they'd post how they'd rumored it or whatever first...  so openly admitting you leaked things too but wanting a crackdown on others?  Just petty middle school stuff.  It was embarrassing that Hasbro was even contacted over it directly, bu they were.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:08 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 08:23 PM »
The self-appointed head of the Star Wars chapter of the he-man woman haters club is at it again

I recall seeing some things on social media within the past week about how people are perceiving the new era of Star Wars as more inclusive, and viewing it as a positive step forward for the franchise.  But I'm also thinking that the JTA misogynist man-child saw something similar, and needed to lash out with another poorly written temper tantrum.

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2017, 09:10 PM »
The only positive thing about all of this is that the reaction on social media seems to be more robust than it was before. His panicked and paranoid insecurity about women has no place in fandom. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Don't buy the toys. Don't kiss Hasbro's ass, knowing they occupy the polar opposite political position on this.

On that note, Hasbro needs to cut this loser loose. It is unacceptable for Hasbro to interact with a site that continues to promote such exclusive, outdated and harmful rhetoric. They're toys, man. TOYS.

ETA: I wanted to add also that it's not right that Hasbro penalizes some sites for 'leaks' while JTA continues the same practice without penalty. JTA clearly uses their relationship with certain sponsors to dole out information prior to its being publicly announced (in some cases only by hours). I don't know why Hasbro persists in any relationship with Paul Harrison after the infamous Q&A, cited before, where he misrepresented their response to a question on female action figures (irony alert).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:31 PM by Darby »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2017, 09:33 PM »
This is like the Star Wars Sithposting meme group on Facebook come to life, except it isn't a joke.

On that note, Hasbro needs to cut this loser loose. It is unacceptable for Hasbro to interact with a site that continues to promote such exclusive, outdated and harmful rhetoric. They're toys, man. TOYS.

They support JTA, yet cut ties with Jayson and Yakface. Makes total sense.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 10:09 PM »
So the man child is aware of the uproar his comments have stirred up.  And the only place where that coward wants to discuss things IS ON HIS OWN WEBSITE. You know, the one where he routinely deletes the comments from people whose criticism he doesn’t like. 

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 10:18 PM »
Internet boob doesn't understand how internet works. Film at 11.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2017, 12:53 AM »
The self-appointed head of the Star Wars chapter of the he-man woman haters club is at it again

I recall seeing some things on social media within the past week about how people are perceiving the new era of Star Wars as more inclusive, and viewing it as a positive step forward for the franchise.  But I'm also thinking that the JTA misogynist man-child saw something similar, and needed to lash out with another poorly written temper tantrum.

Dude went from a toy review to a tirade about how Rey "doesn't force right!" In under a minute haha.

I particularly liked his lashing out at social media saying to come "fight" him at his site...  talk about someone needing a safe space and control, hah.

He's definitely got some issues that permeate every aspect of his life.  I can't say that I'm dwelling on my political views when I'm thinking about Star Wars crap but to each their own.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2017, 06:37 AM »
Yeah.  The complete lack of any sense that TFA was the first chapter in a trilogy seems to be lost on this dimwit.  Along with the fact that Reys story will only continue to unfold as we move forward through Episodes 8 and 9.

LOL at the whole "safe space" thing.  He feels comfortable labeling people who criticize his rants as "SJW's", but will only engage them on his own site.  Hmmmm, I wonder why?

My theory?  That he's a weasel by trade.  And that trade may involve a career outside of the SW collecting community, in some administrative job for some corporation who has rules about how its employees use social media.  So does a Star Wars collecting site fall outside of the boundaries of corporate social media policies?  And do those rules also govern their employees hiding behind pen names to mask their questionable conduct?  Hmmmmm...

A quote from an esteemed business executive on a related note?  "Human Resources is neither human, nor a resource".

I also found it incredibly laughable watching some of the video from NYCC where Hasbro sat down to talk with collector sites.  This clown is all fired up on his own site, but completely spineless when he has face time with Hasbro.  When he does interact with them?  He's either ratting other people out in order to make himself look better, or presenting incredibly stupid ideas like "making an all new Paploo from the ground up" when he does get to talk with Hasbro one on one.  FFS...

Meanwhile, he fails miserably at trying to channel someone like Adam May by trying to incorporate song lyrics into his writing.  I heard once upon a time when the man child was first getting into writing for a site how he idolized people like Adam May and Dan Curto.  He sucked up to them to no end.  It was actually kind of sad to watch.  In some cases he got to know the people writing for a number of sites.  And by all accounts, he has burned many a bridge with people all over the SW collecting community.

Now?  He's trying to burn bridges with society, it would seem.  Because Lucasfilm is going in a direction that he doesn't want.  If it really offends his delicate sensibilities so much?  Why still consider yourself a fan?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 08:03 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Part of me still wonders how sincere or authentic any of his behavior is; I've thought for a while that it might be just for the traffic it generates. Like you said, with Hasbro he's one way, behind the computer he's another. Maybe it's all performative. Could be wrong. He might just hate women. Debating Rey's merits as a character is one thing; but it's not about whether she's a good character or not. It's about the fact that he has a sustained, documented history of bigotry and misogyny toward women and minorities. Rose. Jyn. Rey.

You reap what you sew.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 10:30 AM »
Maybe it's all performative. Could be wrong. He might just hate women.

DING, DING, DING!

I think you nailed it on the head.  And it may be in more ways than one.

Feedback

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 10:36 AM »
What a chode.