Author Topic: EE Exclusive: Astromech 6 Pack  (Read 44146 times)

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: EE Exclusive: Astromech 6 Pack
« Reply #105 on: August 3, 2016, 11:11 PM »
I like it, but I've always been a sucker for astromechs. And honestly, I never at any point thought this was going to be anything but astromechs so it's not like i got my hopes up for anything else. Overall though it's a really nice set, i like the droid choices, they're all pretty interesting, and i always enjoy more realistic Clone Wars figures. And yeah, the price stings, especially for me since I'm in Canada and after currency conversion and shipping it's going to hurt a lot, but it's not like I've bought much lately anyway. I don't mind paying a little extra for some fun droids if that's all i'm gonna buy for the foreseeable future, so why not right?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #106 on: August 3, 2016, 11:36 PM »
A friend and I were talking about this...  he had some fairly legit reasons why he cancelled, not the least of which was simply him not being a huge CW/PT fan so like only 2 out of the set appealed to him.  I get it.  I really am like Jedipurge, in that this is stuff we've already been paying these prices for, plus free shipping, so hey, whatevs.

The pink one, I'm thankful is different from the R2-KT figure we already have...  Rebuying a droid would be beyond irksome.  It's similar enough as it is, but at least it's still very different too.  I'm happy with that.  I wish this stuff was cheaper but it isn't, and it won't be either, no matter what level of bitching comes.  Hasbro's answer to this dilemma was scrapping articulation almost completely.  I don't like that.

That said, and Jeff's been running some polls on Twitter (You can see the Twitter Feed for JD on the right side of the front page if you weren't aware), and in relation to one, I'd really like to see the line go to 07-ish levels in terms of articulation...  Be selective.  And drop prices closer to $10/figure.  It's still a hike at a decrease in "quality" in some respect, and some figures will hurt more than others (salt shaker Padme's, which I'd be fine to never buy another one), but at least we'd maybe be back on track as a line collectors and kids alike can enjoy and at prices that are at least bearable for most people.

I mean in 07 the figures were great.  Some had something you wanted, but didn't get, but you still got the figure and liked it enough ya know?  like Academy Biggs for instance.  I think of things like the Saga AT-AT Driver and DS Gunner, and man those are GOOD figures I still army build when available, and they didn't have waist articulation, ankle articulation, and they had angle-cut elbows...  They're, IMHO, pretty flawless figures though.  That as the "standard" would be fine by me.  I'd have loved it if that was as articulated as any TFA figure got, actually.

TFA, I want good figures for that movie as much as any other line... If some are lacking knees, but have good arm poseability?  Or if some have knees but the elbows are angle-cuts, and maybe no waist joint?  I'm ecstatic.  And I'd pay $10 per and buy 'em all most likely.  I'd be back into army building.

Hell I never left, I am paying $13 per and not out, I just wish I wanted the 5POA stuff more than I do, and I don't want it hardly at all.  That line just isn't my bag and this year reinforced it to me.  I haven't really cared when I can't find something.  I wanted Ackbar, and yet I don't have him, and I don't care either.  If he had elbow and wrist joints, I'd be moping though.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 9, 2016, 05:21 PM »
I ended up canceling my order... moving into an apartment and living without a roommate for the first time around the time this set will hit, so my bills and cost of living are going to skyrocket. I'm hoping I have some cash to reorder a set when it comes time because I really do want to support the line.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 9, 2016, 04:41 PM »
I'm still really on the fence about this set.  And considering how CLONE WARS heavy they went on the sourcing?  There were a couple of R5 units that I really would have preferred to see in this set.

R5-U8

R5-S9

Having those droids in the lineup as opposed to a whopping 6 x R2 units would have been at the very least a bit more interesting.  And while I appreciate the effort, do we really need TWO bartender droids?  Especially one for a Hutt that will probably NEVER been made into a figure?

« Last Edit: September 9, 2016, 04:42 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 9, 2016, 04:59 PM »
The set is all about R2-privelege.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2016, 06:44 PM »
This set is now in stock at EE for those that might still be interested.

I still want it, but don't feel much of a sense of urgency at that price.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2016, 09:04 AM »
My set was delivered on Saturday, can't believe how big the box is vs how big the actual package is...nice set, good to finally have R2-A5

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2016, 06:20 PM »
Got mine, glad I did...  I have my beefs with it, but they're not the price per figure... 

I saw a lot of posts regarding this, and some of them citing very specific #s like they somehow knew the cost breakdown on it...  Kinda funny.  I get you want it to be cheap, but is EE ever going to get that?

I have more of a beef with the sculpt they chose than the price-per-figure breakdown, but that's just me.  That said, they're pretty unique decos in the grand scheme and are anxiously awaiting a spot on the display shelves...  The orange/grey and red/white droids are my favorites.  I could've done without the pink one in favor or something more interesting (I already have R2-KT so I'm good on pink astromechs).  The green guy is kind of bland, but then again there is no all white with green accents R2 unit that I can think of off-hand.  So the white dome kind of stands out.

Again, I don't like this sculpt...  To me, I'd much rather have gotten the BAD sculpt, and yeah an R5 in place of the R2 domes would've been cooler then, but we didn't get that sculpt so I get why we got all R2's.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2016, 08:20 AM »
This set dropped to $49.95 on Amazon so I finally bit the bullet this morning and snagged one. It may go lower but this price seemed decent enough to me. Always nice to get a few new TCW figures!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2016, 10:29 AM »
Rob's 1st Law of Star Wars Collecting:  If I wait to buy something, it'll skyrocket in price.  If I buy it at full price, it'll plummet later.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2016, 11:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure Murphy owns that law, but I'm in the same boat, Rob.   :(
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2016, 10:47 AM »
I bit on the Astromech 6-pack at $49.95.  And it hurt a lot less since I had some Amazon gift cards to use.

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2016, 05:37 PM »
I got mine in the mail yesterday. Pretty nifty set, packaging is larger than I expected. Really hoping we get the rest of D-Squad someday!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2016, 09:02 AM »
Mine arrived from Amazon the other day, and I was finally able to open up the shipping box yesterday.  Either the Amazon marketplace seller or Amazon themselves did not care about the condition of the package, because it was pretty bashed up.  If I were still collecting to keep things boxed I would be pissed, but the figures were fine.

I'm glad to knock this one off my list.  Especially at a price that's lower than what EE was offering it for.  In the process of placing this order as well as tracking that 6" Black Series Order 66 on my Amazon wishlist I realized that we're probably going to continue to see EE exclusives pop up like this more frequently, and probably discounted below EE's initial asking price.  And it's no doubt because of the wholesale/distribution role that EE has taken on.  I think their affiliate sellers may be one of the ways to get better deals on EE's exclusives going forward.

Feedback

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2017, 10:29 PM »
I'm, uh, just going to bump this JD referral link to the EE exclusive Astromech 6-Pack for no particular reason... 

Did I mention EE is kicking off a big Cyber Monday sale tomorrow, Monday, November 27th?  Might see big savings on select Star Wars items!   :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender