Author Topic: EE Exclusive: Astromech 6 Pack  (Read 44149 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: EE Exclusive: Mystery 6 Figure Set
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2016, 02:00 AM »
That's possible but I'd wager they'll just stick it in as an accessory, more or less, as the gluing adds a step.  Not that it's unheard of for them to glue **** shut for no reason.  ::)

I'm not banking on the scomp link, but hey, can't have it all these days.  :P
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2016, 06:34 AM »
I'm surprised you guys are that into this.  Quite frankly I'm really disappointed.  I was hoping that this would be a way for Hasbro to keep getting new figures out and the '5 figures that hadn't been made' tease made me think it would be something really cool.

+1

I was starting to worry that we were getting something pretty easy like this after Jeff's comment yesterday.  I like astromechs and the paint jobs on these look nice.  I'll keep my EE order and enjoy these to some extent.  But in all honestly, I have dozens and dozens of astromechs by now, especially with the Disney BADs.  I was really hoping for at least a few obscure humanoid figures - a jawa, a cantina alien, something original to go with the set.

I thought someone mentioned these being SA figures versus 5pt figures, but an astromech isn't SA at all unless there are some crazy new features these bring to the table.  It's okay, but I'm disappointed it wasn't more. 

**EDIT: It's right in the first post in this thread, "Figures include cool accessories and have the articulation you've come to love from The Vintage Collection and The Black Series."  Not sure if the "articulation" comment was Adam's or someone else's but that's really misleading and inaccurate for this set.  I can see why people are upset if that was communicated broadly. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 06:40 AM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2016, 08:28 AM »
I think out of all of them I'm most looking forward to Ziro the Hutt's Astromech to go with Ziro's Protocol Droid - now if I could just get a repaint of Jabba in Ziro's colors with some feathers tacked on, that would make for a pretty nice display.

You took the words right out of my mouth! What an easy repaint that would have been for them.

And now we need the rest of D-squad too.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2016, 09:34 AM »
Meh, a don't like them. I think they are a pretty ugly set of figures. I don't like the huge box. I have enough astromechs that I don't need bizarre paint schemes. I like the ones I made at Disneyland a lot better. You guys can buy them.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2016, 10:08 AM »
**EDIT: It's right in the first post in this thread, "Figures include cool accessories and have the articulation you've come to love from The Vintage Collection and The Black Series."  Not sure if the "articulation" comment was Adam's or someone else's but that's really misleading and inaccurate for this set.  I can see why people are upset if that was communicated broadly.

Yeah that's pretty sleazy. Technically we've been getting SA Astromechs since the POTF2 line. Also the line about the characters "dating back through the history" of the OT or whatever where they built it up like it was going to be all OT era stuff.

I'm honestly still debating whether I want to cancel my set... I enjoy Astromechs, and these look cool (at least the OT ones) but for the value, the $80 stings. SA humans/humanoid figures, even some of those BAD protocol droid sculpts would have been cool, but this just feels like $80 for repaints of half-figures. Those used to provide funding for newer, better figures, but at this point it's like, what is this $80 going towards for the future of the line?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: EE Exclusive: Astromech 6 Pack
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2016, 11:12 AM »

Yeah that's pretty sleazy. Technically we've been getting SA Astromechs since the POTF2 line. Also the line about the characters "dating back through the history" of the OT or whatever where they built it up like it was going to be all OT era stuff.

I'm honestly still debating whether I want to cancel my set... I enjoy Astromechs, and these look cool (at least the OT ones) but for the value, the $80 stings. SA humans/humanoid figures, even some of those BAD protocol droid sculpts would have been cool, but this just feels like $80 for repaints of half-figures. Those used to provide funding for newer, better figures, but at this point it's like, what is this $80 going towards for the future of the line?

And that's exactly where I got the impression they'd be new figures, new sculpts... with Wal-Mart Black Series levels of articulation.  That and the Tatooine image, combined with the promise that it was 5 new figures, had me thinking cantina aliens, un-made vintage figures... something new. 

Until Jeff came along and hinted that we should temper our expectations, and then when they revealed what it was.  Ultimately I'm going to buy the set because I've basically collected them all and like to keep it that way, but maybe I'm more bummed out about it because I was hoping for a much more varied set and also because I never got into CW, so that's basically 2/3rds of the set that does nothing for me.   

I know it's been many years, but the last time EE did one of these sets we got 10 figure for $10 less than we're getting 6 for now. 

$69.99:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 11:15 AM by Rob »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2016, 11:26 AM »
I am fully expecting some sort of damage control response that cites some sort of feature that was on a Vintage Collection R2-D2 or R5-D4, like the extendable computer interface tool.  But even with a feature like that, what sort of articulation does that mean on an astromech droid?  Perhaps 8 POA?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2016, 11:56 AM »
I am fully expecting some sort of damage control response that cites some sort of feature that was on a Vintage Collection R2-D2 or R5-D4, like the extendable computer interface tool.  But even with a feature like that, what sort of articulation does that mean on an astromech droid?  Perhaps 8 POA?

5?  Unless you're counting wheels under each leg as a point of articulation?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2016, 11:59 AM »
2 Shoulders, 2 Ankles, 1 Head = 5.  Unless there is a retractable third leg (which would be awesome) to get us to 6. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2016, 12:02 PM »
Even the recent four pack of droids at Disneyland is only $30. Six for $80 is pretty insane.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2016, 02:06 PM »
2 Shoulders, 2 Ankles, 1 Head = 5.  Unless there is a retractable third leg (which would be awesome) to get us to 6. 

Articulated center foot gets you to 7.  And the actuator arm/computer link gets you to 8.

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2016, 02:23 PM »
Even the recent four pack of droids at Disneyland is only $30. Six for $80 is pretty insane.

Let's see... Hasbro markup, which always happens... EE markup... but yeah, it's steep for 6 repaints.  Even with free shipping.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2016, 02:33 PM »
These use the VC25 baR2-D2 sculpt which had the pop-out arm R2 used to zap crumb.  Probably why they are claiming "vintage collection" levels of articulation because this r2 came from that line.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2016, 02:54 PM »
These use the VC25 baR2-D2 sculpt which had the pop-out arm R2 used to zap crumb.  Probably why they are claiming "vintage collection" levels of articulation because this r2 came from that line.

I figured that would probably be the rationale for using that kind of language in describing the droids in this set.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2016, 02:56 PM »
Heavy paint apps, exclusive to a single online store....  Priced per figure same as WM TBS line...  The price isn't that outrageous really.  Like I've said this is basically what BAD figs cost at Disney.  But this was pretty oversold.  That definitely hurt perceptions I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77