Author Topic: Walmart Black Series 3.75" Wave 5  (Read 26792 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Walmart Black Series 3.75" Wave 5
« on: August 30, 2016, 10:32 AM »
New rumor courtesy of Yakface (who got it from Jedi Insider (who got it from Robot Kingdom)). :P

Wave 5 - more repacks?
ADMIRAL ACKBAR
CLONE WARS AHSOKA TANO
EMPERORS GUARD
GENERAL CALRISSIAN

Lots of folks have been looking for Hasbro to re-issue the Vintage Collection ERGs, so that's a nice one.  Ahsoka sells for huge $$$ on ebay, so that's another nice repack.  Would have been nice if we had Ponda or Echo Base Rebel in there instead of Lando...  oh well.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:43 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Walmart Black Series 3.75" Wave 5
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 10:54 AM »
Glad to see the Emporers Royal Guard coming back.  It's one of my favorite figures from the Vintage Collection.  But these reissues seem like placeholders in  addition to being some okay reissue choices.  Walmart needs to lay out the peg space for this assortment now, as they reset their planogram for the Rogue One line.  The Rogue One offerings will probably start with the second wave, after the first waves of 5POA figures have had a month or so at retail.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:08 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Admiral Ackbar?!?

Maybe he has a yet to be revealed role in Rogue One (don't spoil it for me if you already know) or Rebels Season 3, but that seems like an odd choice.

Lando seems like a bit of an odd choice as well.

Would have been nice to have a Rogue One wave or two, but maybe that is coming later.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:07 AM by Dave »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:59 AM »
Interesting choices. There isn't much secondary market heat for Ackbar, that's for sure. Really glad to see the ERG, never got a whiff of that guy. Agree Lando could have been replaced by someone better.

Ahsoka I find curious, unless she has some kind of surprise cameo in Rogue 1. ( :-X)  Her Rebels figure is still readily available on most pegs. I do think the TVC carded version will retain its value, just not the loose ones. I hope so anyway, I got 2 kids to put through college one day.  :P

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 11:09 AM »
Are these actually going to show up in stores or am I going to have to drive 50 miles at 3am to get them?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 11:27 AM »
Would have been nice to have a Rogue One wave or two, but maybe that is coming later.

Nick pretty much hit it on the head...

The Rogue One offerings will probably start with the second wave, after the first waves of 5POA figures have had a month or so at retail.

Just like they did for TFA.  SA versions of Kylo and FO Stormie were in Walmart Wave 2, Finn, Poe, Rey in Wave 3.  Well after folks had ample time to buy up 5POA versions of all of them.

Pretty likely the same pattern will happen again.  Everyone will buy up the 5POA Jyn, Deathtrooper, etc in Sept/Oct and then some later wave of the Walmart 3.75" Black Series stuff will invariably offer up nicer SA version for you to buy again in Nov/Dec.  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 12:32 PM »
I ordered 2 ERG's back in the TVC days ASAP, SPCA, A-OK....uh...

I never opened them. I debated selling one.  Now maybe I can buy one and open it.

Never had that Ahsoka. Probaly still won't, given distribution/Wal-Mart.

If they improve the paint ops on Lando, so he isn't groucho Marx, that would be good...unlikely, though.

Ah, if only Ackbar were a new Mon Calamari officer/trooper. Wouldn't have taken much.

Yeah, Echo Base Trooper and Ponda Baba or ones I never saw like Jabba's Skiff Guard or Darth Plagueious...Plagueous or Darth cannotspellhisnameus.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 12:35 PM »

Nick pretty much hit it on the head...

The Rogue One offerings will probably start with the second wave, after the first waves of 5POA figures have had a month or so at retail.

Just like they did for TFA.  SA versions of Kylo and FO Stormie were in Walmart Wave 2, Finn, Poe, Rey in Wave 3.  Well after folks had ample time to buy up 5POA versions of all of them.

Pretty likely the same pattern will happen again.  Everyone will buy up the 5POA Jyn, Deathtrooper, etc in Sept/Oct and then some later wave of the Walmart 3.75" Black Series stuff will invariably offer up nicer SA version for you to buy again in Nov/Dec.  ;)

Exactly.  It's the classic double dip.  They did this last year with TFA.  And they will no doubt do it again this year with ROGUE ONE. 

Also, barring the Ahsoka reissue, this is a ROTJ themed wave.  The ERG, General Lando and Admiral Ackbar are all classic ROTJ characters.  I'd like to see that Hoth Rebel get reissued, but I think we would need to wait for a TESB themed wave.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:40 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 01:06 PM »
Preorders are sold out through RK. Looks like they raised the price too.  ::)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 01:27 PM »
Like others I wish lando and Snackbar were someone else.  Actually Legacy Hoth Rebel even filling a slot?  But hey ERG is nice, and I may nab another Ahsoka I guess. 

Other than the erg there seems like this may have Rebels tie-ins to it too, sort of.  Like the TFA repacks were of figures in TFA who didn't have a basic figure...  Vader aside but he does have a role in TFA of sorts too.  Maybe they're hoping these have some cross appeal with the cartoon.  Might also be tooling availability too I suppose.

The ERG is just popular.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 03:48 PM »
The ERG and Ahsoka are great choices. Ackbar and Lando... I think it's good they're branching out again into secondary characters, because it seemed from the TFA offerings they were sticking to pretty much main characters / troops, but unless there's some tie in logic that comes to light later, they're odd choices. There are highly requested TVC characters that make much more sense in relation to  Rogue One, so yeah. Odd. Glad to see the line rolling along.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 04:26 PM »
I will take all the Royal Guards I can find!

I never picked up General Lando, so that might be another one to grab.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 04:39 PM »
I wouldn't mind a few more Royal Guards, but I didn't like how thick the fabric was... I wish the robes hung more naturally.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: September 2, 2016, 01:54 AM »
I'm wondering how easily this wave will be found?  I wanna get some guards, but man I don't want a sea of Lando staring at me either.   :-\  I'd be fine if this was a semi-limited wave of figures.  Just enough to get to the masses and the valves shut off.

If that Lando's cape was a little nicer I'd pick him up again for sure.  I hated that clasp they did.  If they did one with thread I'd be all over it, just for an accessory.

Looking at some of the basic figures for RO, I'm already aware I'm buying some figures just for an accessory anyway (Stormtrooper's rifle?  I'm looking at you buddy).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 2, 2016, 10:09 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder based on some rumors surrounding a recent Episode 8 script leak might involve some of the characters in this wave.  Hmmm....

Feedback