Author Topic: Rogue One Imperial AT-ACT Set  (Read 33771 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Rogue One Imperial AT-ACT Set
« on: August 31, 2016, 12:45 PM »
Yep, the early reports were true - it's $300 bucks.  Here's the official press info from Hasbro:

ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY RAPID FIRE IMPERIAL AT-ACT Playset
(Ages 4 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $299.99/Available: Fall 2016)
Lead the charge against the Rebel Alliance with the 3.75-inch scale RAPID FIRE IMPERIAL AT-ACT Playset! The AT-ACT can be controlled by remote or smart device, and actually moves its head and authentically walks into battle. Features an armored cargo and cockpit that can transport multiple figures. Open up the playset to unload cargo and send Stormtroopers into battle. This powerful vehicle features rapid-fire NERF dart cannons and comes with 3.75-inch JYN ERSO, exclusive C2-B5, and exclusive IMPERIAL AT-ACT DRIVER figures. Includes one vehicle and three figures. Requires 4 1.5v D batteries, not included.  Available at most major retailers and on HasbroToyShop.com.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue One Imperial AT-ACT Set
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 01:04 PM »
$300?!

Holy crap that's going to sit.  It's going to be REALLY fun trying to get my hands on one of each of the figures that it comes with... Damn.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:05 PM by Rob »

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 01:07 PM »
That's a kick in the nuts. I was hoping I'd have one eventually, but even 70% off Target clearance would be $90. Ouch. Oh well.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 01:09 PM »
It's all due to those expensive NERF features.  >:D

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 01:38 PM »
This is interesting from a couple different angles:

- $300 is the most expensive Star Wars toy Hasbro has ever released, by a long shot.  I know there was a TRU exclusive Vintage boxed repackaged BMF (if I recall correctly) that was pretty spendy, but the original non-exclusive version was only $150.  We also had the TFA MF for $140 and the 6" TIE for $170.

- The interactive / remote control aspect is a massive enhancement over a standard toy.  It becomes a bit of combo between the BB-8 Sphero ($150) and a large 3.75" toy ($150).

- If this works at this price point, it could open the door to a lot of other different toy possibilities.  Hasbro has said "big vehicles" just don't work from a financial perspective.  This could help prove or refute that depending on the success.  We've pined for a Sail Barge, Blockade Runner, etc., and if this is successful it could prove the value in creating $300 uber-toys.

I will definitely try and get one of these, although will try and get one for substantially less if I can.  I would be willing to wager that this will sell better than the $150 6" TIE Fighter.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 01:40 PM »
Yeah, that repacked BMF was $275 at the TRU near me.  I'm still kicking myself for not getting one at the original price point.  If I remember right I'd found an AT-TE for $50 around that time and figured I should wait for clearance on the Falcon, and then I never found one.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 02:40 PM »
Wow, $300. I sort of wanted to pick one of these up (if not for myself, then for the kiddo at Christmas), but at that price no way.  I really wonder how these will move at that price. At $300, you are right in line with video game systems, and that might be a tough sell with most kids.

It's funny, just this weekend I was showing our daughter some of the old Christmas catalog scans online (Sears and Penneys), and seeing 10 figures for $20, the Falcon for $25, and the AT-AT for $50 really makes today's sticker shock even worse. I know, rising costs and inflation and all that....but it sure would be nice if things were as simple and affordable as that. For a line that is supposed to be focused on kids, I have no idea how they would be able to keep up.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 02:47 PM »
$50 in 1981 is about $132.37 today. $25 was $66.18.

So yeah, things were more reasonable.  Sure the AT-AT didn't walk.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 02:58 PM »
I hate to say I will be waiting for the clearance, but at $300, this is a non-starter for me. The figures aren't simply enough of a draw. More figures or a sort of Imperial squad set up might be more intriguing. It's got the driver, a droid which has cheaper and better articulated counterparts, and Jyn, who we know from press release is not exclusive to this set. The analogy to the video game system I think is a good one. That is definitely a price range people will tolerate around the holidays, if the value is there. I don't know how well the Sphero BB-8 did, so I can't speak to that but people I know who have one rave about it. The app integration is a terrific idea, the actual walking mechanism is a terrific idea, the size is good, not great, the figures are good, not great.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 03:06 PM »
$300?!

Holy crap that's going to sit.  It's going to be REALLY fun trying to get my hands on one of each of the figures that it comes with... Damn.

Ebay. Not many people debate the ethics of buying from sellers in China anymore. When it's that or the alternative (or no alternative).

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 03:39 PM »
I don't know how well the Sphero BB-8 did, so I can't speak to that but people I know who have one rave about it.

Nobody could keep this in stock from Force Friday through early December.  It seemed that this was a hot, hot toy that took months for production to catch up with. 

Not sure what Sphero's expectations were, but it seems like demand was higher than supply for several months.

Have they provided a demo video of this yet, showing how the app works?  If the app is cool that should also help bolster sales.  If its just a remote control without fun add-ons then its a missed opportunity.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 04:20 PM »
$300?!

Ebay. Not many people debate the ethics of buying from sellers in China anymore. When it's that or the alternative (or no alternative).

If we get to that point and you happen to notice any eBay sellers, from China or otherwise with reasonable prices for the figures please do let me know. 

I ended up paying $40 for the Finn and Chewie from the TFA Falcon, and I looked around a lot.  Maybe it was there and I missed it, but I never saw any Chinese eBay sellers with them.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 04:33 PM »
As a parent I cannot imagine dropping that kind of cash on something like this at Christmas. Not even as a collector really. I wish them luck, but this seems like a classic boondoggle from the get-go.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 05:11 PM »
As a parent I cannot imagine dropping that kind of cash on something like this at Christmas. Not even as a collector really. I wish them luck, but this seems like a classic boondoggle from the get-go.

So what would people be willing to pay for something like this?

I agree $300 might be too much for a walking, full size, figures included, Nerf shooter AT-AT?  I think $250 would seem like a reasonable deal, but $300 doesn't seem too unreasonable.

I agree that this is a tough buy as a gift for a kid, but as a collector I'm willing to drop $300 on a really well done toy (I'll withhold judgement on this one until I learn more).

People were just complaining that the U-Wing is too small with too few features and won't buy it as is, and they would be willing to pay significantly more for a "better" toy.  I don't think we can have it both ways.  It seems Hasbro is either going to make a scaled down affordable toy or really expensive uber-toys. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 05:33 PM »
That's just out of hand.  I like the concept, but this price creep on big ticket items has just gotten out of hand.  There's just no way I can justify getting this AT-ACT at MSRP.  And even on sale or clearance it'll be very pricey.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:33 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback