Author Topic: Twelfth Parsec "Space Base"  (Read 7503 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Twelfth Parsec "Space Base"
« on: September 24, 2016, 10:13 AM »
The guys at Twelfth Parsec have unveiled their new "Space Base".

This looks like it might be a prototype.  If they can refine this, it's going to look amazing.  And each room is available for sale separately as well as being available as a complete set.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline no-wan

• Youngling
  • I Warn You Not to Under Estimate my Power !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Twelfth Parsec "Space Base"
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 04:03 PM »
Like the Concept. :)
The New Sandcrawler Workshop

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 07:51 PM »
A somewhat disappointing review of the space base.  And a cautionary tale about buying third party product.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 01:43 AM »
I didn't want to be a dick at the time and say anything but, yeah, I don't think that looks good at all and that review pretty much sums it up.

You're absolutely right on that Nick, and everything 3rd party deserves an eyebrow raised with any purchase you make.  I remember the whole 3D print thing that was an utter failure a while back.  It was Death Star walls and stuff, but the guy who made it changed it to resin, there were partnership issues, delayed shipping, dubious quality, and a simple lack of understanding how a 3D printer (and then resin casting) even worked.

But because a number of good ones got out as "review samples" before the production ones began...  and everyone gave them glowing reviews and backed them...  That blew up in some poeple's faces.  Months and months without any product despite constant promises.  Then, again, a change to resin and dubious quality is what some ultimately got.  I think some still may not have their stuff from that.

I backed Galactic Trading Post's "Space Walls" because I saw they were already financially stable enough to get the product out, so a pre-order was going to be fulfilled.  I talked with them regarding production process which they are TRUE production via injection molded plastic out of Japan, which is of a higher quality (more akin to a Lego build than a cheap Revell Model or some such).  They're not cheap but they're where 3rd Party purchases should be made if you're looking for something to display.

That review link, yikes...  That looks like hell, plain and simple.

Resin is easier to work with than 3D printing...  I know a guy who does professional 3D prints via 3rd party, and my girlfriend works in 3D rendering professionally, and I can safely say that people winging that really don't know how in over their heads they are.

Likewise half the guys working with resin I don't believe realize how hazardous the chemicals they're working with, actually are.  I picture them in their garage all closed in working away on a weekend inhaling stuff you shouldn't spend 20 seconds around without a full respirator.   :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 06:22 AM »
Same here.  I don't want to bash anyone.  Especially when they're trying to do something that the collecting community has been calling for.  But the execution here seems to be lacking.  And when you're asking people to lay out some money for something like this, the customer should have some reasonable expectations for quality and that the product will get to them intact.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 09:16 PM »
For me, personally, anything short of a production-level item is just odd looking in the collection and doesn't fit the bill for me.  Even customs have to have a look.  I've seen people do amazing work painting a Hasbro figure, but unless they're repainting every Hasbro figure, it just looks off somehow in the wall of stuff that doesn't jive with it. 

It's like all Star Wars figures suddenly having GI Joe style articulation and lining up with what we got to this point...  It just doesn't jive.

3D prints can be awesome but in general it's my experience that the material and who's doing the printing are HUGE factors in what you ultimately get.

My friend is a professional with 3D imaging software and he's an expert modeler...  His 3D prints are superior quality and much more akin to a model kit than something some guy made on the weekend.  It's tough to explain the difference I guess but it's noticeable in person.  It also helps that he isn't doing this on his own printer, but rather doing it through a 3D printing company that themselves do a much more professional job and can help you clean up your own models to print in a more "professional manner", for lack of a better term.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 11:14 PM »
For me, personally, anything short of a production-level item is just odd looking in the collection and doesn't fit the bill for me.  Even customs have to have a look.  I've seen people do amazing work painting a Hasbro figure, but unless they're repainting every Hasbro figure, it just looks off somehow in the wall of stuff that doesn't jive with it. 

I could not disagree more. I get it if your display is just a line of Hasbro toys that a custom painted fig can stick out like a sore thumb, but there's room in the collection for "oddities" and "out of place" things and it jives just fine.

The fact someone can tell my 4" Tzizvvt is a custom doesn't detract from the collection as a whole.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:15 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 04:16 PM »
It would just bother me seeing it there all pristine like a model then like next to it is Ishi Tib and he's kinda toying looking with the slit plastic coat and stuff.  There's just a look to production vs say these sets which are very iffy 3D prints and hot glue because that's that'll hold that type of filament they're using I'd wager. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 12:19 PM »
I backed the Twelfth Parsec Ewok Village, though it wasn't an environment I really cared about.  Also their cantina alcoves... cool, but I no longer display them as they just don't "do it" for me.

As for this Space Base, I did not order and frankly am glad that I didn't.  It's just too obvious that it's 3D printed and looks a bit dingy with way too many rough edges.  I hate to say that, because I love the concept and applaud their efforts.  But... 3D printing is simply not cutting it yet for product like this.  I'm sure there are 3D printing avenues with this design that could look much smoother and better, but the pricing would be insane.  I am sure the guys who made these also agree that it didn't turn out to look as good as they had envisioned.  The end product looks more like a prototype, unfortunately.

That being said, I'm sticking with the following for stuff like this when I don't have the patience, time or talent to make what I want on my own...

http://galactictradingpost.com/
http://galactictradingpost.com/
http://empiretoyworks.com/index.php/about/