Author Topic: Rogue One "FORCE FRIDAY" Official Thread...  (Read 10215 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Rogue One "FORCE FRIDAY" Official Thread...
« on: September 29, 2016, 01:15 PM »
Hope I'm not overstepping here but I thought it would be good to get a nice central thread going for any amusing anecdotes/tales of terror from tonight, as well as interesting or noteworthy finds, discounts, etc. Also feel free to post your plans for tonight as it's always interesting to hear what other peeps are doing.

I had originally planned to get together with two other friends who are both collectors, but it sounds like we are likely bailing on that plan now due to a combination of family obligations/weather/sickness/etc. Not to mention a sort of general malaise. The only thing I really want that I'm not confident I can find tomorrow is the TRU 6" Hovertank Pilot. But it's not worth waiting 3+ hours in the rain just to find out they sold out in the first 5 minutes or never got them in the first place.

So my new plan is to maybe hit up a closeby Walmart tonight and maybe pick up the Imperial Speeder if I see it on the off-chance that Target doesn't carry this out of the gate. Then wake up early and hit a few Targets on the way in to work to use both of those coupons on the A-Wing, more 6" stuff, Rebels Season 2 DVD, etc.

I am thinking seriously about placing a big order on TRU.com too, since their current sale prices match the after-coupon price per figure I would be paying at Target. Just irked that they don't have the Hovertank Pilot up on the site yet, the way the Snowtrooper guy was available for preorder for last year's FF.

I do expect more than a few "ripples in the Force" coming up too. Targets around here have showed zero signs of prepping so far, and I find it a little hard to believe they will all magically have their aisles reset by 8am tomorrow when the doors open with all the new stuff on display. Just like I find it hard to believe that at 12:01am every Walmart computer will update instantly to allow the proper ring-up, pricing and sale of the new stuff. I foresee many possible checkout line frustrations...

Oh, and for the record, I am hoping to pick up all of the following: new 6" wave, A-Wing, Rebels Imperial Speeder x2, an extra Sabine, the Titanium Helmet 2-pk with Sabine's dome, and maybe the 12" animatronic Kanan, although that one smells destined for clearance already to me.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Rogue One "FORCE FRIDAY" Official Thread...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 01:41 PM »
Ben and I plan to hit the TRU in Cedar Rapids tonight. Looking forward to a much more involved affair than last year, when we went to Wally World. The people there were nice and fun, but there just wasn't anything out. We got some figures but a lot of people left disappointed. I'm looking forward to the Hover Tank Pilot and the Moroff/Shore Trooper set the most. I'll probably get most of the figures since there's only 7. If wave 2 is out I'll be a bit more selective. I love the ships but I'll be waiting on those a bit. 6 inch I'll wait and see. K2 for sure. I have K-Mart points yet so I may hold off on those.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 02:00 PM »
Not planning to hit TRU tonight, but I will probably stop at Target tomorrow AM before work.

Probably going to pick up as much as I can (3.75" basic, 2-packs) to use the coupons.  May also grab the U-wing and TIE Striker, Imp Speeder if they have it.

Could also wait on the vehicles as I'm sure there will be more sales on those as the season progresses...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 02:26 PM »
I do expect more than a few "ripples in the Force" coming up too. Targets around here have showed zero signs of prepping so far, and I find it a little hard to believe they will all magically have their aisles reset by 8am tomorrow when the doors open with all the new stuff on display. Just like I find it hard to believe that at 12:01am every Walmart computer will update instantly to allow the proper ring-up, pricing and sale of the new stuff. I foresee many possible checkout line frustrations...

Does anyone know Target's plan?  Are they just going to put these on pegs in the normal aisle, or will they drop these on standees like they did for the refresh when the movie was released in April?  Last year my local Targets had stuff in both the toy aisle and in a "seasonal" aisle in the back dedicated to TFA product (clothing, toys, cereal, etc.).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 03:10 PM »
Does anyone know Target's plan?

StarWars.com does -

"Fans who visit Target stores will also find a unique in-store experience featuring a larger than life, interactive AT-ACT Imperial Walker that gives them their own chance to fire blasters and defend the galaxy."

The plan is to have a "Rogue One" section, though it won't be as big as the TFA event/section.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 03:11 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 04:37 PM »
Amazon.com for me!

Last year wasn't bad in terms of crowds but the amount of product differed from store to store, and each store got MAYBE 2 cases of everything. In addition to not taking the day off like I did last year, I'm going to remain hesitant on merchandise until after the movie comes out. This stuff should be everywhere by October anyway... hopefully.

I'll hit the LEGO Store after work on Friday to take advantage of their promotions though.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 05:46 PM »
I'm going to head out to try and get the Lego AT-ST for my kid's 6th birthday on Saturday.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 06:37 PM »
I'm not planning to go ape tonight but I am meeting friends out and I'm going to use points at Kmart tomorrow on what I want there.  I have almost $200 in points at Kmart so I will try to get a Striker there, maybe a ground crew guy and the 2packs as I like those aliens.

Otherwise not a ton I want to spend on.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 08:03 PM »
During last year's Force Friday for the TFA film, I went to TRU, dealt with the pushy crowds didn't get much of what I want, then hit up a bunch of Wal Marts, etc driving around that night like a crazy person with my girlfriend - who was very kind and put up well with my insanity.  I DO NOT intend to do that this time around!  It looks like most of the stores are going to have everything (I've already seen the tags out at Wal Mart) so if I hit some Wal Marts and Targets early tomorrow, I feel confident I'll be able to find what I want...  That said, I'm hoping to get a TIE Striker, U-Wing, and especially the Rebels A-Wing, then maybe some of the new 6" figures.  But then, how much can one truly have ;)
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 09:32 PM »

Does anyone know Target's plan?  Are they just going to put these on pegs in the normal aisle, or will they drop these on standees like they did for the refresh when the movie was released in April?  Last year my local Targets had stuff in both the toy aisle and in a "seasonal" aisle in the back dedicated to TFA product (clothing, toys, cereal, etc.).

Not sure on how much product, but some of the stores have a big cardboard AT-ACT that will be part of the endcap display... it's huge.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 10:34 PM »
Walmart has a giant cardboard U-Wing up too.  :o

T-minus 90 minutes now...I decided to stay home and put in a big order from TRU online, then hit a Walmart or two just to have a look see. Too excited to think about sleep!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 02:31 AM »
Chewie and I hit a TRU near us and they had pretty much everything wave 1.  The 6" Death Troopers and Tank Drivers were gone right away.  Sabine was next.  But product was plentiful.  Got the Tee and Poster as well.

One guy came in about 30 minutes later and complained that Walmart had nothing out.  I think he as just looking for the exclusives since he didn't really look at any of the figures.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 09:13 AM »
TRU.com put their stuff up a few minutes before midnight, so I was able to pick up all the 6" guys and the A-Wing on sale with free shipping. :)

Unfortunately, that was the highlight of the night.

The first two Walmarts I hit had literally done nothing. No new product, no boxes sitting on pallets, no fancy cardboard displays, zippo. The third was in the middle of an aisle reset, and had a rectangular cardboard display with lost of lightsabers and 6" stuff. I also saw the TIE Striker and U-Wing on the shelf. No sign of the Imperial Speeder or A-Wing. Or the new Titanium Helmets. (They did have 12# animatronic Kanan but I couldn't bring myself pull the trigger)

I grabbed an extra Sabine and 6" Deathtrooper and called it a night. I saw no signs of any other SW collectors out and about. Sort of an underwhelming experience.

Planning to head out to some Targets soon. Fingers crossed for that %^&*( speeder.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 09:17 AM »
Hit Amazon at 11pm CST, or midnight on the east coast. Not sure when the stuff went on sale but the Death Trooper sold out as I had it in my cart, so I couldn't get one. Not too worried though. They also didn't have unmasked Kylo but I have no doubt that one will pegwarm, since the CE exclusive took an hour to sell out, and people are Kylo'd out I think.

Then I preordered a bunch of Japanese figures, so overall a successful night of online shopping for me. I'll check out some stores over the weekend.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 09:32 AM »
Planning to head out to some Targets soon. Fingers crossed for that %^&*( speeder.

I don't think you need to be concerned about the speeder.  A bunch of those were left from MM at our TRU.  I suspect it's going to be an easy find.