Author Topic: Disney Marvel Cinematic Universe  (Read 27348 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Marvel Cinematic Universe
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Looks good, gotta watch it again because I didn't realize that was supposed to be a Skrull.  :o

Glad to see the movies are getting a lot of mileage out of the FF villains, if not the team themselves. Ronan, Klaw, Skrulls, etc.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2018, 07:51 AM »
Now this is interesting...

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/loki-scarlet-witch-tv-series-marvel-disney-streaming-service-1202947551/

6-8 episode series featuring the same actors that played the characters in the films!
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2018, 09:40 AM »
They seem to be going pretty deep with the whole Kree backstory - Ronan, Korath, Mar-Vell, and that whole Kree strike team.  And then you tie in Fury and SHIELD, and the story of Coulson being brought back after the first Avengers film with what turned out to be reverse engineered Kree technology (including a Kree corpse), and it brings some things together nicely.  I hope that the de-aged Fury and Coulson don't look ridiculous!

I'm glad to see the Skrulls being brought into the MCU at last, too.  Ever since projects like Thor, Avengers and GOTG took the stories beyond the bounds of Earth, the Skrulls have been a notable absence.  I had heard something to the effect that they were part of Fox's realm of the Marvel film franchise along with the Fantastic Four.  But now that Disney is buying Fox, that doesn't seem to be as much of a thing.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2018, 07:50 AM »
Yeah, I'd heard Skrulls were F4/Fox properties as well.  Maybe when they were negotiating the merger (which isn't yet finalized), they loaned Disney rights to Skrulls the same way Sony did with Spidey.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2018, 08:02 AM »
Normal Skrulls are fair game, it's just Super Skrull and the other FF characters Marvel can't use (yet).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #65 on: March 8, 2019, 08:03 AM »
Saw Captain Marvel last night.  I really enjoyed it.  There were weaknesses, of course, but overall I had fun.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 8, 2019, 12:05 PM »
I saw the premiere last night and thought it was awesome.  I was not very impressed by the trailers and curious if we might finally see a flop, but this movie had me in stitches.  My son didn't get some of the references to things like Radio Shack or computers "loading" files, but those scenes had me in stitches.  Another great mix of action, humor, and plot points that I did not see coming.  Can't believe we're just six weeks away from Endgame!

Kind of a nice Easter Egg for those less versed with Marvel, in the comics the little girl (Monica Rambeau) grows up to be a SuperHero who can transform herself into light.  She went by both Photon and Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers was going by Ms. Marvel at the time).
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2019, 12:38 PM »
I was finally able to see Captain Marvel yesterday.  And they managed to get me all misty-eyed with the opening credits that were dedicated to Stan Lee.  I found it to be a genuinely touching tribute.  And his cameo?  A nice touch given the place in time where the movie was set.

As for the film itself?  I enjoyed the fact that we just jumped right into the action.  We've seen a lot of origin stories over the years that always seemed to follow a fairly set structure.  But here?  We start with Vers (I liked that touch) as something of an apprentice to Jude Law's Yon-Rogg.  We get into the Kree-Skrull war, but it's not quite what we might have thought of it (or either faction).  And we got to see Vers go through a path of discovery that informed both her and the audience of her origins at the same time.  I thought that Brie Larson was genuinely likeable in the role.  And I think that her sense of being ill at ease was in line with her own lack of knowledge about where she had come from, and the ensuing confusion that comes with learning that you had been lied to for years.  When she finally realized the scope of her abilities by the end of the film?  I saw a much more confident character.

Samuel L. Jackson brought an interesting new dimension to Nick Fury.  And I think the de-aging process worked well.  As for the eye injury?  They lost me a little bit there.  But was nice seeing how his relationship with Coulson developed.  I was also genuinely surprised about the way the Skrulls story was told.  I always had certain notions about them going back to the comics.  And in casting Ben Mendelsohn as Talos I had some preconceptions about his character.  Seeing how that aspect of the story went was a nice twist.  And the 90's callbacks were noticeable but they didn't beat you over the head with them.

Where does this movie stand for me in the pantheon of Marvel movies?  It was good, but not great.  I'd place it somewhere in the middle of the pack, and if there's a follow-up film, I think that Captain Marvel's sense of self will be that much better affirmed.

I was actually happy to see the box office numbers were so high.  Between the review bombing on Rotten Tomatoes and calls for a boycott against the movie by the manbaby trolls, it was good to see the movie do so well.  It was a giant middle finger to the guys who are making fandom so toxic.

What gets me so irritated about the current climate is this:  Stan Lee and other Marvel creators who were at the heart of creating the iconic characters born in the 1960's set out with a message that permeated their stories.  Spider-man (and his alter ego, Peter Parker) along with the X-Men, who became some of the most popular characters in the Marvel Universe were the outsiders.  They were people who were different:  Peter Parker was a bookish kid with glasses who was on the small side and bullied by jocks, while the X-Men were born with abilities that made them very different from others, sometimes visually so.  These were very plain metaphors for how our own society treated those who were different.  Kids who were different tended to be drawn to these characters because they gave them a sense of belonging.  Time passed and these characters slowly became part of the mainstream for comics - and evidently, so did the audience, no longer the outsiders.  And with the mainstreaming of that segment of the audience they evidently believe that they are now some sort of gatekeepers to fandom.  I find it troubling to see this, as these self-appointed gatekeepers seem to have forgotten that they and the characters they profess to love were once the outsiders, and now they regard fandom and the IP's as all full, and unable to include characters and fans who might now be regarded as the outsider.

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2019, 03:26 PM »
Well put on all of this.  The tribute to Stan was a really nice touch.  We saw the premier, which always seems to have some high audience energy, and people were clapping and cheering for that and Stan's cameo.

Not sure I really get what you're saying in the last paragraph though about outsiders.  Is this based on someone's commentary or review of the film or things you're reading on social media?  My take on characters like Spidey or the X-Men has always been less about their abnormality and more about how you should strive to do the right thing no matter what life throws at you.  Spiderman was on the fame and fortune track and it cost him his uncle.  He could have gone that route numerous times, but lives a fairly humble life dedicated to helping others.  The X-Men are referred to as the next evolution of the species, but they work to protect humanity.  They're often forced to defend the same people would persecute them, but the vision of the strong using their power to protect the weak never waivers. 

These characters are a constant reminder to live the best life you can.  Don't take the easy way out.  Sacrificing for others is its own reward.  Let's be real - they were catering to their audience to a large extent.  The kid reading comics was more likely to be the brainy science kid with glasses than the high school quarterback, so showing the outsiders with abilities and control was self serving for the readers.  But there are also strong messages of acceptance and honor and morals that are needed now more than ever. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:22 AM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2019, 03:37 PM »
Took the family to see Captain Marvel this weekend and thought it was great.  Was a little disappointed with the Mar Vell character, but that's because I have the comic where he dies of cancer because of the negabands that gave him his powers.  That was a very powerful issue when I was a kid.

By far, Goose is the best part of the movie!   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2019, 06:34 PM »
Saw it yesterday with the family.  While I loved the soundtrack and generally liked the movie, I didn't love it like I have a lot of its MCU predecessors.  I did like having Coulson back on the big screen and liked how Ronan's character was introduced, but it just didn't keep me engaged enough overall.  I'm hoping that the sequel connects this movie and where we find things in GOTG.

Not sure if this is a spoiler or not, so I'll preface the next part anyway...

What I'm really hoping is answered at some point, is how the tesseract ends up going from Howard Stark's possession to Mar Vell's possession.  In The Avengers, Fury tells Cap that Howard found it at the bottom of the ocean when he was looking for Cap.  So was Howard involved in Pegasus then, and that's how the tesseract changed hands?  That seemed like a pretty big plot hole to me, more than people complaining about the pager and it's lack of use in previous Avengers films...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2019, 07:25 PM »
What I'm really hoping is answered at some point, is how the tesseract ends up going from Howard Stark's possession to Mar Vell's possession.  In The Avengers, Fury tells Cap that Howard found it at the bottom of the ocean when he was looking for Cap.  So was Howard involved in Pegasus then, and that's how the tesseract changed hands?  That seemed like a pretty big plot hole to me, more than people complaining about the pager and it's lack of use in previous Avengers films...

I don't know that it's a plot hole.  All we knew about the Tesseract was that Howard Stark found it at the bottom of the ocean around 1945 and then we saw it again in 2011 in the end credits scene for the first Thor movie.  That's a sizable gap in time where we didn't know the whereabouts of the Tesseract.  There has barely been any of the time period between the events of the first Captain America movie and Iron Man explored by the MCU until now.  There were a couple of flashback scenes between Ant-Man and Civil War, but those were about those particular story lines, not the Tesseract.

The one bit of Tesseract related lore that comes to mind is Tony Stark's quest in Iron Man 2 as laid out by Howard Stark.  Howard seems to have studied the Tesseract enough to have an inkling about the makeup of the cube and how its molecular composition might provide him with an element that might become a new type of power source, but one that he was incapable of making in his own time.  That aside, it's interesting to see how the Tesseract might have slipped out of the control of SHIELD over the course of 65 years.

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2019, 07:52 PM »

Howard Stark was directly involved in Project Pegasus. The Project Pegasus facility was the one blown up at the beginning of the first Avengers movie. This movie takes place after The Winter Soldier killed Howard Stark. So it's reasonable to assume that the Tesseract was left in the possession of Project Pegasus when Howard Stark was killed and Mar-Vell was sent to Earth by the Supreme Intelligence to acquire it and figure out how to use it as an energy source that could be used to help the Kree win their war against the Skrulls.

With regards to the pager, the ONLY movie where that's a problem is the first Avengers movie since a giant portal in space/time opened up and an alien race came pouring through. Why not call her then? The only logical explanation I can come up with is that Fury knew Carol's powers were from the Tesseract so perhaps he wanted to avoid having two like-powered entities on the field? Alternatively, since we're re-visiting the Battle of New York in Avengers: Endgame, have a quick scene which shows Fury contemplate using the pager at a moment when the battle seemed to be going against the Avengers, but then when the Avengers turn the tide, he puts in back into his pocket. Plot hole solved.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2019, 07:02 AM »
I would say the easiest answer for the tesseract changing hands are the Skrull.  Anyone of them could have infiltrated Stark's facility and made off with it.  We really don't know how long the Skrull were living on the hidden labratory.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Had a chance to see Captain Marvel over the weekend. I echo the "good but not great" sentiment. Took a while to get going I thought.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks