Author Topic: Hasbro Black Series Market Research Survey  (Read 11565 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Hasbro Black Series Market Research Survey
« on: December 8, 2016, 03:12 PM »
Not sure where to put this but here goes: I received an email from Hasbro today for a survey on the Black Series. The survey seemed to want to determine my interest in SA Vintage backed figures for $10.99; 6 inch versions of Bespin Han, General Lando and Grievous, with the latter specifically at a price point of $34.99; my interest in about 20 or so other choices including Gamorrean Guards and Moroff (answer: YES) as well as other BS items like the role play stuff. You get a 20% off code for HTS for participating.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Hasbro Black Series Market Research Survey
« Reply #1 on: December 8, 2016, 07:16 PM »

Here is the ?

It's one of quite a few though and was largely focused on 6" scale figures.  Among the figures it asked me about (6"):

-Saw Garerra
-Bodhi Rook
-Grievous
-Gammie Guard
-Dengar
-Bespin Han (Jeff's sad as the door opens)
-Chopper
-Ithano
-Cantina Band Bith
-"Ewok" (Wicket pictured)
-Rathtar
-Dewback
-Rancor
-TFA beast from Jakku (Name escaping me)
-Padme (White jumpsuit)
-Leia Hoth
-Luke Endor

And IIRC it asked me about a Royal Guard and some others I'm sure I am forgetting...  It was a fairly long survey.

It also asked about packaging and if I'd pay a premium ($24.99) for it in 6"...  Environmental bases vs. larger or more accessories... 

They also asked if you'd want TBS to be only 3.75", only 6", or only 12"...  it also mentioned vehicles in that, not just figures.

Lot of ?s on roleplay stuff including helmets, sabers, riot stormie baton, Rey staff, royal guard staff, melty vader helmet..

Again there was more.  Not nearly enough asked about 3.75" SA for my liking but I tried to be honest and when I had the chance, I mentioned I buy select 6" and buy everything 3.75" and many in muliples.

Oh and it asked how you use your toys...  play/pose, open, display, keep packaged, resell...  Lotta stuff.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 8, 2016, 08:43 PM »
I answered the same way - I collected the 6" TFA stuff (except for the TIE Fighter) so I wanted to be honest that I have selectively collected those - but I was over-joyed when I got to select the next price-range down from MSRP on how much I typically pay for them as there are very few I've paid $19.99 for - most of them time, they are on sale and the store is flooded with them and has marked them down to get rid of them - I just grabbed Resistance Base C-3PO and Helmet-less Kylo Ren for $16 from a local WalMart. Whereas, I was happy to pay full retail for the 8 3.75" Death Troopers I have been able to find so far.

You're right though, the 3.75" questions were few and far between, but I made it pretty clear that I am not interested in collecting the 6" line long-term, which is the truth. Probably means they'll throw out my answers, but I figure it was worth a shot.

Here's hoping they get an overwhelming number of 3.75" for that "which scale" question...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 8, 2016, 09:18 PM »
It's interesting to see them being this open about their market research.  But given how vocal so many collectors are online about the state of the line, they do have a pretty willing audience when it comes to providing feedback.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: December 8, 2016, 09:51 PM »
Unfortunately "I want everything, for nothing, and don't care if you take a bath on something if it's something that makes me happy" wasn't an option I recall on the survey. :P

Offline Slugworth

• Youngling
  • Never tell me the odds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 8, 2016, 11:10 PM »
Very interesting survey. It seems like they are excited about Bespin Han. I think we have had 4 other 6" Solos already, but of course I'd buy it instantly.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2016, 11:38 PM by Slugworth »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: December 8, 2016, 11:14 PM »
I have been told the numeric values vary in the surveys by a couple people now too...  They asked me about 3.75" TVC at $10.99 which blew my mind, but I guess they've asked about it as high as $14.99  if your survey had some variation to it.  Weird but I guess they want to see how far some are willing to go.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #8 on: December 9, 2016, 02:04 AM »
Mine had $10.99 as well but I've seen $12.99 reported elsewhere. I'd say the survey is largely seeking an endorsement of places Hasbro already wants to go. The vintage line is effectively in the can already - I imagine we'll start seeing 40th anniversary stuff in March or so - and they've been experimenting with the environmental bases / two packs at different price points.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 9, 2016, 09:31 AM »
I got $29.99 for 6 inch Bespin Han (no), $19.99 for 6 inch General Lando (yes), $24.99 for 6 inch General Lando with accessories (no), $29.99 for Grievous (yes), $14.99 for 3.75 inch Chewie (no)

What is Hasbro's obsession with Vintage style packaging? I don't care about the package, I just want the toys.

Also if 6 inch figures go up in price, I'm done entirely. I get more enjoyment out of paying $40-50 for a Japanese figure that includes multiple weapons, hands, heads, etc. while Hasbro continues to drop accessories from BS figures. Look at the first two waves. X-Wing Luke came with a removable helmet, tons of weapons, Han came with the Stormtrooper belt, extra hands, extra blaster. ANH Luke came with binoculars. Like Pete, I made it known I wait for deals for 6 inch figures while I'm more than happy to pay for 4 inch figures.

Seems like Hasbro is itching to raise prices to offset production costs and using this survey to see what specific accessories they should add to justify the price increase.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 9, 2016, 09:34 AM »
I have been told the numeric values vary in the surveys by a couple people now too...  They asked me about 3.75" TVC at $10.99 which blew my mind, but I guess they've asked about it as high as $14.99  if your survey had some variation to it.  Weird but I guess they want to see how far some are willing to go.

It's actually a pretty standard practice in polling to give varying conditions to different participants, and it aids in getting more accurate data for the study.

For instance, I was asked in my poll if I would pay $29.99 for a 6" Black Series Han Solo (Bespin).  There were also the two price point choices for ROTJ Lando.  But the 3.75" Black Series Chewbacca was at $10.99.  I'm not surprised to see a range of different prices in this poll.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 9, 2016, 10:06 AM »
They asked me about 3.75" SA for $15... I said no.  In the comments, I added a bunch of insight as in bringing back a moderately-articulated line with about 9 POA.  Asked about Han in Carbonite general release, told them I they should offer a Padme other than the Geonosis outfit version.  They can take my opinions how they want.  Just figured if the space was there...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 9, 2016, 01:37 PM »
Nick is right, this is a very common approach to market research purchase intent.  They'll be able to tell from the responses where a pricing cliff exists.  For example:

100% of people said yes to $10.99,
90% of people said yes to $12.99,
30% of people said yes to $14.99

There were priority rankings for figure quality vs. articulation vs. accessories as well.  I'd love to see the results.  They will get a nice read on what matters most, then be able to sort that by collectors who are willing to pay different prices, heavier buyers vs. casual buyers, etc.  I'm just glad they're soliciting collectors for their research, as I don't think I've ever been surveyed in my 20 years of collecting. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 9, 2016, 01:47 PM »
Are you guys signed up for PULSE or something?  I didn't get an e-mail, but I'm not signed up for PULSE.  I have ordered dozens of times from HTS.com though.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 9, 2016, 01:52 PM »
I signed up for Pulse and got one letter from them and that was it.  I guess they forgot about me.  But I just used the link Jesse provided to do the survey.