Author Topic: 2017 Droid Factory Build-a-Protocol Droid Series  (Read 29679 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2017 Droid Factory Build-a-Protocol Droid Series
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 11:08 AM »
4-LOM... yes.  I thought it looked like him but something looked off.  Perhaps the color/angle of photo just didn't let the details pop out.

Here is a better look at the heads from a button that Disney was handing out during/after the panel.  Pic from twitter:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:08 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 03:33 PM »
We can see how we'll all be getting super articulated TFA C-3PO, sweet stuff!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 11:55 PM »
Hey guys - I went to the Disney Merchandise panel and the build-a-droid expansion to protocol droids is pretty expansive.

From what I can tell, in addition to the 21 different heads, there are 14 different torsos.

Plus for each RA-7 type droid that can be made there are the unique RA-7 arms/legs.

I am going to swing by Hollywood studios mid-to-late day tomorrow, so I should have more specific details soon.

I was told by the Disney folks that the droids debut today (Friday) at Hollywood Studios, but will be available on Monday at Disney Springs. I'm here through Tuesday, so I should be able to confirm that.

The protocol droids I have so far (the two Celebration ones) have 14 POA, which is great. I'm hoping the same will be true for the ones you can build yourself.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 01:17 PM »
Ok - so I was able to hit Tatooine Traders this morning and lieu of going back to the cluster known as Celebration.

They had 20 of the 21 head and all body/arm/leg parts.

The only head they did not have was the white square head Clone Wars Droid.

They looked in the back for me (for quite a few parts) so when they said they didn't have that head, I had no reason to doubt them.

I'll give Disney Springs a try again on Monday and maybe Hollywood Studios again on Monday or Tuesday before I leave.

Edit: if you thought the left right astromechs legs was a pain for the first wave, imagine how bad the left/right arm and left/right leg nonsense is. Especially with two types of silver,  blue and black legs, three types of silver arms and two types of black, gold, white and blue arms.

Edit two: when I was leaving they were in the process of switching over the second build-a-droid station back to having astromechs. While I was there a lot of folks were wondering where the R2s were. So I guess the staff at Tatooine Traders were trying to accommodate guests a bit better.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:41 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 02:54 PM »
Great details Pete, thanks for all the Disney intel!  Did you confirm the POA count on the build a droids from the park?
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Great details Pete, thanks for all the Disney intel!  Did you confirm the POA count on the build a droids from the park?

Yep. Same as the two carded droids from Celebration - neck, shoulders, elbow, wrist, torso, hips, knees and ankles.
Peter

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 12:27 AM »
I see that Jayson has posted a pile of New Droid Factory Protocol Droid photos at Yakface.

That blue Senate Protocol Droid from CloneWars is growing on me, probably because it's a little more unique than more silver/gold/red/white 3PO style droids.  I'd also like to get one with the Vendor Droid head at some point since it's new.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 08:56 AM »
I see that Jayson has posted a pile of New Droid Factory Protocol Droid photos at Yakface.

Very glad to see these posted as they are the the droids I spent 3 hours building yesterday. I built for both Chuck and myself, then handed them off to Chuck so he could mail my sets home and have his set, which he photographed and passed on to Jayson.  ;D
Peter

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 10:49 AM »
For a moment I thought that this droid might be a nod to something from Clone Wars:

But then I did a little research.  That led me to find the Guardian Police Droid on Wookieepedia, and it's a bit different:

I am however glad to see some variations on some classic droids.  The CZ model is nice to get, as is the 4-LOM based model.  I do wish there were some more color variations for the RA droid.  But most of all?  I'm really liking some of the options for the Threepio models.  Notably the blue Senate model and the black model.  Those both seem like direct nods to Clone Wars and 0-0-0 from the Marvel Doctor Aphra title.

The blue protocol droid with the Threepio model head most closely resembles D-0T from the Clone Wars Senate Hostage Crisis episode.  That makes him a must-have for me!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:25 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 12:57 PM »
Wow! What a racket. Thanks for posting the link to detailed pics, nicely done stuff. Really looking forward to the black protocol.   I'm gonna have to get 'em all, of course. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline darthchuckmc

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 07:01 PM »
Peter is the Droid Master!

I was bored last night so took about an hour, and took quick shots of each individual piece, and uploaded to my Photobucket account. The only piece missing is the elusive white Shopkeeper/Vendor head.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/chuckmc72/profile/

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 08:44 PM »
God, I think I need the ones that have canonical appearances in SW  ::) :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 09:11 PM »
I'm going to need  a list of canon droids.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 09:29 PM »
I need all of them.  I have all the astromechs in bulk, so these are fantastic.  And a lot more mix/match potential than I initially thought too.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 08:49 AM »
Peter is the Droid Master!

I was bored last night so took about an hour, and took quick shots of each individual piece, and uploaded to my Photobucket account. The only piece missing is the elusive white Shopkeeper/Vendor head.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/chuckmc72/profile/

Haha! Thanks Chuck!

Went back to Hollywood Studios on Monday AND hit up Once Upon a Toy in a quest for that white Shopkeeper head. Unfortunately, no such luck. They didn't even have the protocol droids set up at OUAT. The parts at Tatooine Traders was dwindling as well. No one seems interested in building black droids or the white CZ droid. The gold CZ droid torso is being swapped in for the 3PO torso cause that's pretty much out. Nice mix of silver/blue/red parts, but I was more focused on the gold/white/black side of the table, so I really didn't take stock of those parts.
Peter